Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Static!!! Ouch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Static!!! Ouch!!!

everytime i go to get out of my xB i have to touch the metal door frame around the window as i get up otherwise it shocks the **** out of me.. it really hurts like he!!
does anyone know a solution to this? help please, im in pain!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wear a static wrist band and connect it to so place thats touching metal or touch the metal before you get out of your car maybe? :?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This was covered in depth last winter. Without something like leather seat covers, you're going to have to deal with it, or work around it. What I found to work well is to exit the car, then touch some part of the car with my elbow, where the shock hurts less. I usually just close the door with my elbow. Another way around it is to touch a metal part like the door frame or door and keep touching it as you exit. This allows all those electrons to pass through you steadily as you slide across the seat, rather than all at once (i.e. shock)
Old 11-19-2005, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
This was covered in depth last winter. Without something like leather seat covers, you're going to have to deal with it, or work around it. What I found to work well is to exit the car, then touch some part of the car with my elbow, where the shock hurts less. I usually just close the door with my elbow. Another way around it is to touch a metal part like the door frame or door and keep touching it as you exit. This allows all those electrons to pass through you steadily as you slide across the seat, rather than all at once (i.e. shock)
man... can't do the elbow move here, i have frameless windows. and my elbow isn't low enough to hit the actual door itself. i have nothing to elbow but a window (not a good idea).

but grabbing the door while gettin out is probably a better move. lol.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There used to be 'grounding straps' or 'antistatic straps' available at auto parts stores to combat this problem. I used them on a number of cars that were quite nasty, and the straps did actually work well.

The straps were about a foot to foot and a half long and made of a conductive rubber about 1/8 inch thick, and an inch wide. At one end was a brass eyelet or metal tab with about a hole in it for a mounting screw or bolt.

What one did was mount the strap to a convienient place under the car (making good contact to the metal) and trim the length so it was about 2 or 3 inches longer than needed to reach the ground.

This bled off whatever static charge the car gathered without creating a bunch of electrical noise. (Was especially nice if one had two-way radio gear inboard.)

I haven't looked for those straps for quite a while, but they might still be around.

If I had the ZZZAAAapppppp! problem when I got out of my box, I'd try to find me one of those straps, AND some antistatic spray for the interior...

(The problem is two-fold - the static charge your polyester leisure suit makes sliding across the seat before you get out, and the natural static charge the car builds up while in motion...)
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas

(The problem is two-fold - the static charge your polyester leisure suit makes sliding across the seat before you get out, and the natural static charge the car builds up while in motion...)
Tomas your dating your self here buddy -" polyester leisure suit "
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
There used to be 'grounding straps' or 'antistatic straps' available at auto parts stores to combat this problem. I used them on a number of cars that were quite nasty, and the straps did actually work well.

The straps were about a foot to foot and a half long and made of a conductive rubber about 1/8 inch thick, and an inch wide. At one end was a brass eyelet or metal tab with about a hole in it for a mounting screw or bolt.

What one did was mount the strap to a convienient place under the car (making good contact to the metal) and trim the length so it was about 2 or 3 inches longer than needed to reach the ground.

This bled off whatever static charge the car gathered without creating a bunch of electrical noise. (Was especially nice if one had two-way radio gear inboard.)

I haven't looked for those straps for quite a while, but they might still be around.

If I had the ZZZAAAapppppp! problem when I got out of my box, I'd try to find me one of those straps, AND some antistatic spray for the interior...

boy tom thats what i was tryin to say in my above post

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
wear a static wrist band and connect it to so place thats touching metal or touch the metal before you get out of your car maybe? :?