Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

the stereotype game *let the prejudicial injustice begin*

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, I need someone to explain to me how it is racist for I to mention that a black coach won the Super Bowl. How is it racist for a black man, even the black coach in question, to mention that a black coach won the Super Bowl.
We will call this win in reference to battle of otrition. There are just too many politics when it comes to race/sex. I wish all of you luck on this, but I can see the mere fact of recognizing race and sex of the person is more important then what they actually accomplished. Coach Dungy is a great COACH, not a great BLACK COACH. COACH = EQUAL, BLACK COACH = SEGRAGATED EQUALITY (oxymoron).

The day true progress is made with reference to racism is when we can finally call people for who they are without reference to their skin color!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave

Originally Posted by Jenna
When I was a kid, I remember distinctly seeing my first black person come out of the Lynnwood Fred Meyers store. I remember distinctly my grandmother talking about "______s". I remember not knowing any black adult whom could prove to me otherwise of what nasty things my family would say about them.
again, i grew up in texas. that's everyday stuff you're talking about.
Really? Because my point was that we didn't have a lot of blacks here at all and diversity sure wasn't a common thing drilled into my head from birth, as you said it was.

So why do you care then? Do you feel that the many blacks who disagree with you are wrong and that you, as someone not put in the position (I assume you're white) of being discriminated against like they have, are the one who is in the know and is correct?
As a white male, I've been in my face discriminated against. at 18, I went down to the electricans union in SoDo, and signed up. Paid my $20 exam fee and passed their pre-algebra test with 100%. I had already a year and half experience for a entry level job. I wired networks and built websites for people. I had probably the most impeccable resume they've had from an 18 year old, BUT...
I was told TO MY FACE, I wouldn't be contacted for AT LEAST a year because I am a white male, and the union is looking to diversify and the quota for white males is already filled. (I've worked lots of union and non-union jobs as an electrician over the years, I saw 1 black and 1 woman out of about 500+ electricans I've even seen at job sites).
I'm not asking you to feel sorry for me, but if a black guy went there and got a barely passing grade he'd have the job. If he was told to his face in front of many people he wasn't going to be hired on because of his color, he'd be a millionaire.[/quote]

Oh, we're getting to the root of your race problem. I don't think that's exactly enough discrimination experience for under your belt to make you the world's expert on how we're going to over come racism.

Saying blacks need black role models, because they can't be expected to see another person of another race as one, sorta sounds racist, huh?
Well, I never said the part that follows "because" in the above statement. And if I did, it's certainly is no comparison to "most blacks don't want to look up to positive role models".
it was implied though. But fine, just ask the next young black teen you see who they look up to. It isn't a preacher, a cop, or fireman. [/quote]

No, it wasn't implied. And eff if you aren't racist. Maybe you can't see it in the one or two comments per your replies but maybe a large conglomeration of them will help? I mean, you're like the second to last person one should ever speak to about abolishing racism.

People will forget the hate of racism one day, when, and only when children aren't taught that nonsense from birth. That can happen tomorrow, or 100 years from now, as soon as children quit hearing about it, and continuning the cycle.
But spouting off stereotypes left and right and complete asinine generalizations is?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Also, I need someone to explain to me how it is racist for I to mention that a black coach won the Super Bowl. How is it racist for a black man, even the black coach in question, to mention that a black coach won the Super Bowl.
We will call this win in reference to battle of otrition. There are just too many politics when it comes to race/sex. I wish all of you luck on this, but I can see the mere fact of recognizing race and sex of the person is more important then what they actually accomplished. Coach Dungy is a great COACH, not a great BLACK COACH. COACH = EQUAL, BLACK COACH = SEGRAGATED EQUALITY (oxymoron).
LOL, yes, lots of politics.

I agree, he's just a great coach. I think of it in two different ways, I suppose. They way you say and I agree with and then in another way as an accomplishment in our society.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geesh Jenna & Seattledave you guys got into it Eh??...lol
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, he's just a great coach. I think of it in two different ways, I suppose. They way you say and I agree with and then in another way as an accomplishment in our society.
Jenna, I think you and I understand each other. I know the milestone is important, it really is. I am proud to see things changing and I know the United States is one of the top countries in the world that has equality (yes I know a lot more work to be done, but we are leaders on that front). I am proud to be part of this great country, and I look forward to the future of TRUE equality. I think we can appreciate the milestones, but when you continue to see the tallies being kept with respects to race ("NOW 5 BLACK COACHES HAVE WON A SUPERBOWL, OR THE 7TH WOMEN SENATOR IS NOW IN POWER) I finally see the real meaning of these milestones.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xdorkx
-Illegal Aliens (and most mexicans) love driving SUPER SLOW in the fast and carpool lanes (I think that ones pretty much true, and i can attest to this on the 405 5 days a week to and back from work)
-Black People dont tip

Yeah, these can go on forever
certainly not true!! I tip whenever I go out!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

bcnu, I won't agree with tallies being made if that is happening or ever does happen. That would totally be competition between races, lol.

I do hope that someday that the "first black to... " or whatnot, will be a thing of the past. I think for now though, it's needed. It's like a stepping stone or part of a transformation us as a country needs to go through. It's a reminder of where we came from and how much nicer it is we have come so far.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bcnu, I won't agree with tallies being made if that is happening or ever does happen. That would totally be competition between races, lol.

I do hope that someday that the "first black to... " or whatnot, will be a thing of the past. I think for now though, it's needed. It's like a stepping stone or part of a transformation us as a country needs to go through. It's a reminder of where we came from and how much nicer it is we have come so far.
Alright I'll go with that, but I do see the tallies going on way too much these days.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't care what you look like. I care what you DO. How you act. What you say. How you say it.

(OK, I would be kind of freaked out by someone with a horrific injury like those folk on Discovery Channel without faces)
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to Jenna and SeattleDave...

Obama....is not muslim.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
I don't care what you look like. I care what you DO. How you act. What you say. How you say it.

(OK, I would be kind of freaked out by someone with a horrific injury like those folk on Discovery Channel without faces)
Exactly how I feel.

I would be weirded out by those people that have butts where their faces should be, like in that one south park episode....
Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is over a year old
Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
this thread is over a year old
yep and should have stayed buried
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go shopping, please make sure you have money. I am tired of standing in line for 15-30 minutes while the checker is on hold with your bank check....oh and a visa card is not an acceptable form of I.D., neither is your library card or temporary driving permit.

and PLEASE we WEAR DEODORANT in the US

I'm very happy to have moved up to WA state from SoCal, because it is so nice to go to the store or sit in a movie theater and not have a bunch of idiots yelling, cussing, and talking loudly wherever I go. I'm not white, but white people just seem to know how to act in public, except the white trash ones, but you only see those people on the first of the month.