Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Stupid Know-it-all Old Guy at the Stupid Post Office *Vent*

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Default Stupid Know-it-all Old Guy at the Stupid Post Office *Vent*

Okay, so my back bumper on my TCM xB is broke. It has some long plastic pieces that should be bolted on hanging down (it was ripped to shreds during our awful snow storms this year).

This old guy came up to me to point it out at the post office today. He says that my after market bumper is broken. I tell him it's not after market and that it is stock. He says "No it's not, the dealership put it on". I said no, this is the way it comes. He says "No, see, stock bumpers don't go that low and that it isn't stock". I said that we have two xBs and they have the exact same bumper and that they came from the dealership that way. He says "Yeah, xBs come with a lot of different options and the bumper was one of them and they put it on before I bought the car". I said no, they didn't and that it is not one of the options. He says "Yes, it is. My daughter has one and hers is stock and it doesn't look like yours. Infact, even the side skirts on your xB are after market and not stock". I said that no, the side skirts are stock, the bumpers are stock, neither are xB options and that if his daughter's are different than mine, then it's hers that are not stock". He says "No, hers are stock and don't have the definition that mine have", blah blah blah. I told him that I'm online with a HUGE Scion community, meet up with them regularly and I know for a fact that my bumpers and side skirts are bone stock, that that is the way they came, that in now way did we buy one of our xBs and pay for special bumpers and skirts, let alone both of them. He then goes on again about how they're not stock and were an option.

WTH? Screw you old guy. I hope to God he sees 20 xBs today, all having my "after market" and "lower and more defined" bumpers and side skirts. I hope he sees his daughter's xB and sees her damned bumpers and side skirts that are just like mine and feels completely IDIOTIC.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe his daughter has a Civic and he was confused?

(and yes, I'm well aware that no normal person could confuse the two. that's exactly my point. )
Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love it when people who don't drive a scion, try to teach me about my car.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Yeah.

You know, what bothers me the most is that I'm sure he figures in his head that I'm just some stupid female and not very knowledgeable about cars. Okay, so I don't know how to work on them but I'm not stupid enough to not know whether or not a part of my car is stock or not. Plus, add all the hours I've spent online here, looking and knowing about cars.

It really bothered me that we went on and on and on and he wasn't at all budging with his thoughts on my bumper and side skirts. He would correct me in a "you're clueless" manor that made me want to smack him.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't get me started on the post office... Those GOD D*M MOTHER F*ng machines that give you change in sacagawea dollars but won't take them as payment... Yeah... I hate the post office...

You should have punched him right in the face. How dare that old man be misinformed on your car!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

You should have punched him right in the face. How dare that old man be misinformed on your car!
I WAS informing the old man about my car. He insisted with his lies! LIES! Looking me straight in the eyes and lying!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Maybe he had Alzheimer's and forgot that his daughter drove an Element.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

he may have seen a "cherry bomber edition" xB from the gulf states dealers.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe she had one of the base models...

Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Is that a Photoshop, Tomas?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, that is not a photoshop.

That is a picture of the base model JDM bB.

Maybe his daughter lives in Japan...

Tom
Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Oh, I see. You had me worried that there actually were xBs with different bumpers and side skirts, lol.

Grr. I'm still mad. You all probably don't understand what us women sometimes have to go through with older men. Take the time my husband and I watched a documentary show where they showed about how the new anti-vibration hammers are made a few years ago when they were still new. I went to my local home and garden center, Lowes, and tried to find it for my step-father as a present. An older male employee came up to help me and I told him what I was looking for... I believe I even had remembered the specific brand I was looking for.

Well, he told me that they didn't exist. I explained what it was and how it absorbs a lot of the energy and how it's good for people who use hammers a lot and you would of thought I was telling him I spoke to aliens. He sat there with a "you're so stupid" look on his face and said again that no such product existed.

You know, the normal thing to do in that situation would of been to say "Wow, that sounds interesting. We don't have that in our store yet but maybe I'll look into it" or something. I mean, I wasn't lying to him... why act like I'm lying over a hammer documentary?

It's just like there are a good chunk of older men who refuse to be wrong when it comes to a younger woman is other person in the conversation. I mean, I told the guy at the post office that beyond knowing what I bought, that I have two of them and that I'm involved with a HUGE Scion community on the internet and in real life. The least he could of done is said "Hm, well, I could of sworn this wasn't stock, I'll have to look at my daughter's car again" or shown some sort of signs of doubt. Due to my past experiences, I held my ground pretty well. He would say it was and I'd say no. He kept trying to prove it to me... pointed to those little circular screw hole covers on my side skirts like it was proof.

Yes, it's been almost 12 hours now and I'm still upset. It's times like these that I wished I had an always on recording wire on me so I can play back to you all how absolutely shockingly stupid the conversation was. I'm sure I didn't help... I wasn't letting him have the last word.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Jenna
Oh, I see. You had me worried that there actually were xBs with different bumpers and side skirts, lol.

Grr. I'm still mad. You all probably don't understand what us women sometimes have to go through with older men. Take the time my husband and I watched a documentary show where they showed about how the new anti-vibration hammers are made a few years ago when they were still new. I went to my local home and garden center, Lowes, and tried to find it for my step-father as a present. An older male employee came up to help me and I told him what I was looking for... I believe I even had remembered the specific brand I was looking for.

Well, he told me that they didn't exist. I explained what it was and how it absorbs a lot of the energy and how it's good for people who use hammers a lot and you would of thought I was telling him I spoke to aliens. He sat there with a "you're so stupid" look on his face and said again that no such product existed.

You know, the normal thing to do in that situation would of been to say "Wow, that sounds interesting. We don't have that in our store yet but maybe I'll look into it" or something. I mean, I wasn't lying to him... why act like I'm lying over a hammer documentary?

It's just like there are a good chunk of older men who refuse to be wrong when it comes to a younger woman is other person in the conversation. I mean, I told the guy at the post office that beyond knowing what I bought, that I have two of them and that I'm involved with a HUGE Scion community on the internet and in real life. The least he could of done is said "Hm, well, I could of sworn this wasn't stock, I'll have to look at my daughter's car again" or shown some sort of signs of doubt. Due to my past experiences, I held my ground pretty well. He would say it was and I'd say no. He kept trying to prove it to me... pointed to those little circular screw hole covers on my side skirts like it was proof.

Yes, it's been almost 12 hours now and I'm still upset. It's times like these that I wished I had an always on recording wire on me so I can play back to you all how absolutely shockingly stupid the conversation was. I'm sure I didn't help... I wasn't letting him have the last word.
there ARE xB's with different bumpers and side skirts. theyre available in gulf states. part of the toyota gulf states dealer network.

as part of the chrome package or the cherry bomb package.

google. it.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

So chances are that his daughter had one of those cars?

Whatever. I was still right.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did a quick search and didn't find any different bumpers or skirts. That would be a pretty significant change for a dealer.

I think Jenna's in the right here. The man must have his cars confused. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone else had a car like mine and it turned out to be an Element.

Don't let it upset you Jenna. There are some old farts out there who don't have any respect. In many cases they don't respect anyone without grey hair. Just blow it off.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'll link you. i have no pics but when the 04-06's were still being sold they had pics of em if you put in a southern zipcode

here's a link to a site that shows the option as being available.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports.../2006/Scion/xB

YH4 Rocker Panel Covers, Chrome

CHROME ROCKER PANEL COVERS
(PPO)

YH5 Chrome Pkg, Full
Component Chrome Rocker Panel Covers
Component Chrome Door Handles
Component Chrome Window Sill Trim
Component Window Sill Trim
Component Rocker Panel Covers PIO

YJ3 Hot Hues Pkg, Cherry Bomb PIO
YJ4 Hot Hues Pkg, Plum Passion PIO

pio mean port installed option

these options were available but only to gulf states dealer networks.

and yes jenna you were still right.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Silly old men.

It's okay Jenna. I'd still be fuming too.. part because I'd know I'm right and that he's wrong.. and part just because it's so fun and feels good to be mad sometimes.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what's funnier...the fact that he thought he knew more about your car than you do, or the fact that you took the time to stand there and argue with him about it.
I would have just smiled politely and said "whatever" as I drove away. Unless, of course, you were bored and it was fun.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First: Last word.
Second: Being right.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I know it's off topic, and not really trying to jack this thread however, am I the only that saw the title of this thread and thought, "SeattleDave works at the post office too?"

Quick Reply: Stupid Know-it-all Old Guy at the Stupid Post Office *Vent*