Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Tai Chi, Pilates or Yoga?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Tai Chi, Pilates or Yoga?

Have any of you tried any of these? I need something to take my mind off stuff; specifically stress and frustration. I know yoga would be the most 'calming' one but I dunno I hear tai chi does wonders for your health too.

C.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did pilates with my ex...and its very relaxing especially if you are going by a video...they play calming music. I would assume would help you be calm and relaxed.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife has started to incorporate Yoga into her work-out routine. She does an hour of it one day a week as a break from the cardio and strength stuff. She likes it a lot. She says it helps her to relax, but she doesn't get all "new age" about it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

variety is the key to this.

you can't just do the same exercises over and over again, because your body plateaus and you will no longer get any return on your workouts. it is better to do different things to get better results.

and most importantly, i reccommend that you do aerobics because your cardio system has a huge impact on the results of exercises.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've done yoga and tai chi. Yoga for when I had some pain in my lower back when I pulled my quadratus lumborum. Tai Chi along with my parents back in high school. Yoga stretches you out. Tai Chi makes you feel more "grounded". Er more stable? I dunno how else to describe it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

How about Tantra? Seems to me like the most fun.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I wish I wish
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My personal favorite is when my wife does naked yoga. She usually only gets about half way done before I jump her.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

LOL!

tmi
Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Tai Chi, when performed correctly, will offer MUCH more of a "centered" feeling inside and out. It may not offer the same "physical" benefits in the sense that Yoga does to stretching and that Pilates will do to posture, but it dramatically makes up for it in its health benefits associated with spiritual calmness and toxin expulsion.
Tai Chi (or Tai Chi Chuan, as it is more specifically known in China) is considered a "soft" martial art in the sense that it doesn't typically have movements that incorporate impact and external force, but rather the use of "internal" force with its steady movements. This is why most people think of Tai Chi Chuan as a series of slow movements rather than an effective, powerful martial art. In reality, it has very deep ties within traditional Kung Fu and is often practiced together in conjunction with Kung Fu as one complete art.
I have studied various forms of martial arts since I was 9 years old, and have actually instructed some over the past several years, and the health benefits found in conjunction with Kung Fu/Tai Chi Chuan have been astounding! To this day, I still use principles associated with Kung Fu/Tai Chuan on a weekly basis, especially when I am beginning to show symptoms of the flu! The toxin expulsion associated with certain forms in Kung Fu actually helps to prevent the onset of sickness!
If you decide to get involved in Tai Chi Chuan, you will want to find an instructor who teaches both Tai Chi Chuan and Kung Fu. Many "Tai Chi" programs at YMCAs and fitness gyms will not possess the necessary aspects of Tai Chi Chuan that will make you successful at achieving your goals. These classes may teach the movements, but will not necessarily address the pinpoint details in the movements that make them 100% effective. Without the proper instruction, you will plateau early and will quickly lose interest and effectiveness.
Tai Chi Chuan may also lead you into practicing Kung Fu and/or other martial arts. Don't let the idea of a room full of guys trying to be manly by throwing kicks and punches at one another persuade you against it. It just isn't like that.
Martial arts can and will have a significant effect in the Tantra aspect as well!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
Tai Chi, when performed correctly, will offer MUCH more of a "centered" feeling inside and out. It may not offer the same "physical" benefits in the sense that Yoga does to stretching and that Pilates will do to posture, but it dramatically makes up for it in its health benefits associated with spiritual calmness and toxin expulsion.

I have studied various forms of martial arts since I was 9 years old, and have actually instructed some over the past several years, and the health benefits found in conjunction with Kung Fu/Tai Chi Chuan have been astounding! To this day, I still use principles associated with Kung Fu/Tai Chuan on a weekly basis, especially when I am beginning to show symptoms of the flu! The toxin expulsion associated with certain forms in Kung Fu actually helps to prevent the onset of sickness!

If you decide to get involved in Tai Chi Chuan, you will want to find an instructor who teaches both Tai Chi Chuan and Kung Fu. Many "Tai Chi" programs at YMCAs and fitness gyms will not possess the necessary aspects of Tai Chi Chuan that will make you successful at achieving your goals. These classes may teach the movements, but will not necessarily address the pinpoint details in the movements that make them 100% effective. Without the proper instruction, you will plateau early and will quickly lose interest and effectiveness.
That's what I want. My immune system is weak and I always find myself with aches and falling sick. I had read somewhere that it helps with that.

I was actually going to look at YMCA just because I have no idea where to look for classes elsewhere...is there a website with a list of instructors?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy

That's what I want. My immune system is weak and I always find myself with aches and falling sick. I had read somewhere that it helps with that.

I was actually going to look at YMCA just because I have no idea where to look for classes elsewhere...is there a website with a list of instructors?
Where do you live (major metro area)? I might be able to identify a few good kung fu/tai chi teachers based on your location.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did yoga for like 4 years. LOVED it. Very very amazing.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by lianweizhi
Originally Posted by tC4italy

Where do you live (major metro area)? I might be able to identify a few good kung fu/tai chi teachers based on your location.
DC metro area
so DC, maryland and northern Virginia would be good
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
I've done yoga and tai chi. Yoga for when I had some pain in my lower back when I pulled my quadratus lumborum. Tai Chi along with my parents back in high school. Yoga stretches you out. Tai Chi makes you feel more "grounded". Er more stable? I dunno how else to describe it.
I think the word you are looking for is "rooted". My tai chi is not so good, but many of the Chinese martial arts have a similar concept, including the system I practice. The stances make you very "heavy" when you want to be, making you very hard to push down. In addition, most Chinese martial arts generate power from the waist, and in order for it to be delivered properly, you have to be rooted, otherwise your own body will move with the strike and you won't transfer all of the power.

Anyway, the OP probably is more interested in the healing aspects of tai chi rather than the combat - Tai Chi promotes flexibility (not as much as Yoga probably, but still quite good) and regulated breathing as well as opens up channels for inner energy and "loosens" up your body. Sort of the antithesis of body building...
Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grandmaster Tai Yim is pretty highly regarded for his kung fu - his style is passed down from the "white haired devil", which is pretty neat - some stories floating around about how that guy killed someone with a chair or something like that. Anyways!

His kwoon offers Tai Chi as well, and like someone said earlier, the best Tai Chi is usually practiced along with kung fu.

http://www.taiyimkungfu.com/Home.php

I don't know how far it is from where you are though?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

http://www.dcshaolin.com/taiChi.cfm
Maiky Tran, the Sifu of this school, is a student of Master Joe Schaefer of Austin, TX.
http://www.austinkungfu.com/
Anyone Master Schaefer has instructed to this level is going to be very good!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't want to start anything, but while many of Shaolin-Do's practitioners are impressive, Shaolin-Do is considered sort of an outsider as far as traditional Chinese martial arts are concerned. It seems to be a hodgepodge collection of forms. The gi's (uniforms) that most Shaolin-Do schools use seem clearly Japanese influenced, and their material is not like any of the Shaolin material I have seen be it at the temple or here in the states. There is an ongoing dispute about the legitimacy of the style...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by lianweizhi
Grandmaster Tai Yim is pretty highly regarded for his kung fu - his style is passed down from the "white haired devil", which is pretty neat - some stories floating around about how that guy killed someone with a chair or something like that. Anyways!

His kwoon offers Tai Chi as well, and like someone said earlier, the best Tai Chi is usually practiced along with kung fu.

http://www.taiyimkungfu.com/Home.php

I don't know how far it is from where you are though?
kengsinton is not that far from me thank you!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
http://www.dcshaolin.com/taiChi.cfm
Maiky Tran, the Sifu of this school, is a student of Master Joe Schaefer of Austin, TX.
http://www.austinkungfu.com/
Anyone Master Schaefer has instructed to this level is going to be very good!
thanx for the tip!

I'll def check these ppl out they are close as well

Quick Reply: Tai Chi, Pilates or Yoga?