Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Teacher fired for teaching the Truth

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Teacher fired for teaching the Truth

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/03....ap/index.html

"Kris Helphinstine... gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, **** Germany and Planned Parenthood."

someone finally put it all together, the ruse is up.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Evolution, **** Germainy and Planned Parenthood are linkable?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the ****'s invented both.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Wow! I thought **** Germany and Hitler's rise to power was predicted by Erik Jan Hanussen, a psychic, not the Bible.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate stories like this because we never get the whole story. The story we usually get is the paranoid parent's and stupid school board's side of the story.

His defense sounds completely plausible, but I have no idea if that was actually what he was doing.

Regardless, there is NOTHING wrong with teaching kids to think critically. In fact, that's whats missing from regular education these days...

I am an IB graduate so my education was definitely WAY different than what the other kids in my school "learned" back then. We learned to think critically and to evaluate sources, analysis, etc. Basic things critical to any citizen's education; meanwhile, "everyone else" was learning how to solve x+3=2.

Just look at how society is today... they believe ANYTHING those huge media conglomerates spit out... which those huge media conglomerates just buy wholesale from the white house press department anyway (literally). People lack the ability to think for themselves... and when someone or something happens to make them realize it, instead of actually fixing their serious problem, they revert to a childish state and try to say "get out of my sandbox because you don't practice the same non-think that I do!"

BTW, I hope I didn't come off as elitist... I don't believe I'm infallible by any stretch of the imagination, or somehow immune to deception. I just at least try...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave
You think the ****'s invented evolution?

I think "Truth" is subjective.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
I hate stories like this because we never get the whole story. The story we usually get is the paranoid parent's and stupid school board's side of the story.

His defense sounds completely plausible, but I have no idea if that was actually what he was doing.

Regardless, there is NOTHING wrong with teaching kids to think critically. In fact, that's whats missing from regular education these days...

I am an IB graduate so my education was definitely WAY different than what the other kids in my school "learned" back then. We learned to think critically and to evaluate sources, analysis, etc. Basic things critical to any citizen's education; meanwhile, "everyone else" was learning how to solve x+3=2.
thinking critically is very important. i agree with you 100%. i also think bull____ting should be taught since that is also a very important skill in life....
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the guy holds a master's in science and yet he's thrown out the scientific method for right wing christianity. I think it's great how a man's religion can go against everything he knows.

a no, the ****'s didn't invent evolution, a very well respected christian was the main proponent for it.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha to true l4rry, teachers, imo, are caged by their masters, and there for the students become identical in thinking and in some cases, personality.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
Originally Posted by seattledave
You think the ****'s invented evolution?

I think "Truth" is subjective.
Truth is "what your peers let you get away with saying"

Of course, that depends on whether my peers let me get away with saying that...

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd

thinking critically is very important. i agree with you 100%. i also think bull____ting should be taught since that is also a very important skill in life....
So true! Our English teacher back then actually told us on many occasions that BSing is quite a valuable skill :D

But yes... that's what you have to do. Better to BS your way out of a situation where you don't really know the answer (a situation where it counts) rather than make it obvious you don't know. It's what most people do today... for example, politics is really an art, an art of BSing.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bsing is important in life. today i heard some guy(that owns a body shop no less) say that he was running 22 psi in his SUPERCHARGER w/o any kind of intercooling etc. in his 5.0 mustang. i almost had to leave the store i was laughing so hard.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Evolution, **** Germainy and Planned Parenthood are linkable?
Hmm....according to that logic then, since Hitler was a christian, I guess that means all christians are evil.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is horrible! He was fired for "deviating from the curriculum on the theory of evolution"... So he was forced to teach a THEORY

But yet, he did not teach the idea that God created the world, saying "I never taught creationism," he said. "I know what it is, and I went out of my way not to teach it."

So he's forced to teach one theory, but fired for trying to get kids to think about another theory... What a joke! It's prejudice if you ask me. Even the headline says he was fired for REFERRING to the Bible...

From a third person point of view, this man was wronged.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HUrrah Jesus!!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I love the parent's input into the issue, "what she needed to learn.."
what a tool.

First thing first, if you don't have a pretty good opinion about that whole issue by the time you're a freshman you might need to consider your intelligence. In other words by hearing a "theory" it shouldn't confuse you, you should have the capability to agree or disagree, not get confused. Hell it confuses me how kids get confused.
I know when we covered evolution I already had my mind made up, so by hearing another theory I wasn't confused or harmed in anyway just interested.
Same thing in this situation, people are over sensitive about this debate. It shouldn't matter what your opinion is or others, as long as you have you own mind made up you shouldn't feel pressed upon to agree with another person's theory.

He showed his students another theory and by that he made the students think for them selves instead of believing what is “politically” correct, hell I’m willing to guess he even said “there are many other theories out there to choose from…” that should not be a crime.
I don’t care what people believe about our creation, nor do I about religion(God and such) and I don’t care to try to persuade people to believe what I do. Just don’t be offended, harmed, or confused when you hear my views on those subjects.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR
First thing first, if you don't have a pretty good opinion about that whole issue by the time you're a freshman you might need to consider your intelligence. In other words by hearing a "theory" it shouldn't confuse you, you should have the capability to agree or disagree, not get confused.
i spent alot of time in church, and went to a private christian school for a while, and there are many many kids 14-18 that grew up so sheltered and having god drilled so far into their mind, that they couldn't even "hear" about another theory without freaking out.

& the guy was in a science class and brought up ***** & planned parenthood during a teaching abuot evolution, i don't care how dumb or smart you are, we all should know that guy shouldn't have been teaching. & the first line: "During his eight days as a part-time high school biology teacher" should have been a big clue. What i think happened was this guy came to class and taught that evolution was NOT true, when clearly some evolution has happened, as we all know about animals such as sperm whales and horses. I can see teaching that evolution is not a total answer for how everything works, it's bits and pieces that when looked at show a bigger picture of what happened, but it's still a jigsaw puzzle with 1/3 of the pieces missing.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^agreed, I think Paul34 is right this article leaves a lot of questions still in the air of what this guy really did.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Truth is "what your peers let you get away with saying"

Of course, that depends on whether my peers let me get away with saying that...

I can't let you say that......