Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Thoughts on in GENERAL...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was messing with you man. geez. didn't you see the just kidding? i still don't see what the definition of theory has to do with thoughs on religion and christianity.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still don't see what the definition of theory has to do with thoughs on religion and christianity.
Because one of the biggest divides between science and religion has to do with, and here it goes, The Theory of Evolution. Thumpers discredit it by saying, "it's just a theory", but they have no idea what a theory actually is, assuming it means: "guess". When that couldn't be further from the truth.

Someone breaks it down fairly more articulate here: http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex and dynamic. A law governs a single action, whereas a theory explains an entire group of related phenomena.
Yet scientists continue to tinker with the component hypotheses of each theory in an attempt to make them more elegant and concise, or to make them more all-encompassing. Theories can be tweaked, but they are seldom, if ever, entirely replaced.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
There are also countless theories that have been discredited over the years, I can pull those up for you as well.
Are we talking valid scientific theories, or are we talking about more decrees from the Catholic Church or ideas from the 17th century? or anything else 300 years before the modern scientific method was concieved?

No more than 150 years old from different branches; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc. No Catholic Church.

My point is that it's a theory for a reason.

True statement, but not for the reason you think.
Please enlighten me.

But I will remain firm in my stand that Theories are not absolute

I will agree with this statment. They are living, working models that are updated as we get new information.
Very good point, like I said before they are not quantified, facts are.

nor can they be considered facts
They aren't, but you seem to think that this makes them less important. When in fact, the opposite is true. There is nothing interesting about facts. Facts are used to support theories, but facts can't model and predict. They simply are.
Your assumption is incorrect. I never labeled them unimportant to the scientific community, I attempted to explain the difference between fact and theory. Are we debating which has a more pronounced effect on one's interest or trying to differentiate between the two?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^but, that wasn't what the original vid was about. plus, stating that evolution falls into the same category as gravity theory and relativity theory is a slippery slope. we know for a fact that those theories don't hold up in extreme cases(black holes come to mind). i'm not arguing.
just pointing out facts.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your assumption is incorrect. I never labeled them unimportant to the scientific community,
how does "less important" equate to "not important"?

plus, stating that evolution falls into the same category as gravity theory and relativity theory is a slippery slope. we know for a fact that those theories don't hold up in extreme cases(black holes come to mind).
Well, we don't know exactly what holds up in a black hole, now do we? However, it should be point out, that black holes were predicted by, I believe (and could be wrong here), Einstein and relativity theory.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, now wait a minute. are you contradicting yourself? either we don't know what holds up in a black hole or we have a theory that explains it. which is it?... relativity deals more with the structure of how things are in the universe and how we observe them. it doesn't really cover enormously massive, but incredibly small points of matter. look up penrose-hawking singularity theorems.

and i'm almost certain relativity had nothing to do with the formation of religion.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you contradicting yourself? either we don't know what holds up in a black hole or we have a theory that explains it.
in order to know anything about a black hole, we'd have to go in there somehow, but we can't even see them, we just know of their existence by their gravitational pull on light. so how would we know? They wouldn't have a theory on it. Ideas maybe, but nothing else.

And this thread is so far derailed, I think we're just waiting on a lockdown.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i think you're right about the lockdown.

and, yeah, there's a lot of math that predicts what a black hole is, but as you were saying... until we can figure out how to make better observations of it.... it's all conjecture and opinion. it's like guessing all the different species of life on earth by looking at a cloud formation.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW... that was a long 5 pages.....

So the title says "Thoughts on religion... Christianity", and after reading this entire thread I found it very interesting what people's thoughts were.

It's no surprise that people reacted the way they did. The "denominational christianity" religion as we know it had been pretty much tainted since the start of the new testament. If you read it you would realize that fact, and that was part the purpose it was written (to correct people's flawed concepts/ways).
Throughout the ages you see people using & abusing this thing called "religion". Let's not even go that far, simply look at our present age - politicians, terrorists, the list goes on & on & on...... Anyways, the point is people should NOT gather & base their concepts/ideas/feelings/biases on a wrongful representation of God.

I also want to clarify somethings in regards to the statements made on the authenticity of the Holy Bible being from God.
2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV): All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Someone also stated that the earth was X number of years old according to the Holy Bible, however I believe that was something untrue. Between Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
&
Genesis 1:2 But the earth became waste and emptiness, and darkness was on the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was brooding upon the surface of the waters.
Nobody knows exactly how long that took, therefore the exact date cannot be extracted. The verses following is when the existence of days & nights began.

Another issue I read about was regarding the "earth being flat coming the the bible" theory. It was actually the corrupted churches in europe that invented that concept, not something from the Holy Bible. As a matter of fact, if you look in the old testament (circa B.C.) you will find that it states the earth is in fact round.
Isaiah 40:22 (NIV): He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^doesn't work with non believers....i don't use the bible to disprove something cause that's just contradictory.

my theory: all religions are essentially the same thing. they all at the core are a great collection of morals and civil code. sure the details are a bit different, but i think that's because of the different cultures.

i don't like religion when it's forced down your throat with fire and brimstone. you don't see buddhists telling ppl to meditate or go to hell do you?

plus there's this whole responsibility problem i see. ppl need to blame themselves for the problems of society and the world. jews and palestinians need to look in the mirror and see themselves as murderers
Old 09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Christianity was invented by the Romans as a control method, it worked, and is still working to this day.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ ok, that's a new one.

For the longest time they simply fed the Christians to the lions and had other sorts of fun with them. Then Constatine had a vision to put a cross on his flag and he'd win a big battle. He did, he won, and then established Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire.

Or at least that's how I heard the story.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

The American government is tied in with religion, the media, and corporations to control it's people. The government takes away liberties of the American people through control. The media is set up to infuse fear into our lives so the government can strip of us our American rights. Corporations sell products that keep us stagnant.
The government will soon be putting tracking devices into every American's passport. They would like for us to have them implanted into our bodies as one family has already done.
Check 'em out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pI_Pq1wiBbs
"Brave new world"...my butt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdX6jI5EBA8
Old 09-21-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

here is the original 50 pages of debate on this topic

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0
Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we aren't debating religion anymore. we are arguing about the definition of the word theory and the different kinds of theories out there.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
we aren't debating religion anymore. we are arguing about the definition of the word theory and the different kinds of theories out there.
no, I won that, so we've moved on.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, poopy. i was having fun with that.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Originally Posted by xlr8tC
no, I won that, so we've moved on.
?

I moved on when you stopped making sense. My silence does not translate to you winning. Don't take credit when no credit is due. Also, don't misrepresent my points to make your own points. I not once labeled theories "less" important either. This whole debate began because you can not differentiate between two separate terms nor can you comprehend the definition from a dictionary which I even pasted. I always maintained that theories either have flaws or leave something unexplained. I even provided a link pointing out those flaws in the Theory of Relativity(which seems to be your favorite theory). Yes they are important, yes they are utilized every day, yes they are a work in progress. You are entitled to perceive theories as you see fit, however, do not impose your opinionated definition on others.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yay...the fight is back.