Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Turbo Toyotas: Vegas Style! Pics and --NEW-- Dyno inside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by brett561tc
my e-manage doesnt go rich at wot?? ther cars ecu may change around the tune in relation to normal driving conditions, but never at wot. as far as my experience with the e-manage goes, as long as you have the ignition harness, injector harness, and pressure sensor. you are good to about 400whp.
You have not encountered enough e-manages then Brett. Unfortunately, I deal with these units WAAAAAY more than what I chose to. Even WOT AFRs will change. I have witnessed this on the dyno numerous times.
then i geuss i must have just got an ultimate in a blue box somehow.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
90% of the tuners I have encountered who tune a piggyback do not tune it properly while monitoring the LT & ST fuel trims. They tune it like a standalone. (just enter the values and get what you need). They are not taking into account another ecu that has it's own agenda.
OK, this sounds like what my tuner did, as his map looks WAY different then the base on from JR off the AEM forums.
Here is my question, if and when you get that base map out to us, would I be able to take that loaded on my F/IC to my tuner so he can just fine tune it, instead of having to start from scratch like he did with my current tune?
Sure.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

my e-manage doesnt go rich at wot?? ther cars ecu may change around the tune in relation to normal driving conditions, but never at wot. as far as my experience with the e-manage goes, as long as you have the ignition harness, injector harness, and pressure sensor. you are good to about 400whp.
You have not encountered enough e-manages then Brett. Unfortunately, I deal with these units WAAAAAY more than what I chose to. Even WOT AFRs will change. I have witnessed this on the dyno numerous times.
Ultimate has the same pitfalls.

The GReddy electronic engine managements all fall just short of having everything needed to get a decent piggyback running. The GReddy unit 'modifies' the MAF voltage in one map, and alters injector pulse width on the other. Timing is taken, then added or subtracted based upon ignition table.

The AEM unit, can modifiy MAF voltage, actually change ignition timing by altering cam/crank timing like the EMS. It does not try to modify the existing signal already perceived by the ECU like the GReddy unit. Furthermore, you can control the partial throttle with closed loop feedback oxygen skewing. This is the biggest bonus, esp for the tC owners. You can make a variable MAF clamp and use the AEM's onboard pressure sensor to get all the delivery you need.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so if the e-manage is so bad, then why do you sell it in your kits?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

It was the only solution that was viable at the time, and we had gotten it work quite well. After months of driving and testing, we began to see the issues and decided to see other remedies to aid in it like the black box. Still not 100% satisified, we opted to do the AEM EMS for this car. That solved EVERYTHING! Not everyone can afford a standalone, so now the FIC is being phased into kits due it finally being on the market after 1 year of rumors at AEM.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would think cuz it's cost effective for the customer and it's probably not that big of a problem and can be managed.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet

I would think cuz it's cost effective for the customer and it's probably not that big of a problem and can be managed.
Absolutely correct.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr Meaty, after your tuner gets the cel to stop coming on (like I said before with fuel trims) you can make the minor adjustments to WOT yourself, it's not hard just make small changes.
BTW I went to Bandimere on friday and ran a 12.94 at 109mph then my next run my ACT clutch gave out. So, without a slipping clutch I'm hoping to get around 12.7
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was the only solution that was viable at the time, and we had gotten it work quite well. After months of driving and testing, we began to see the issues and decided to see other remedies to aid in it like the black box. Still not 100% satisified, we opted to do the AEM EMS for this car. That solved EVERYTHING! Not everyone can afford a standalone, so now the FIC is being phased into kits due it finally being on the market after 1 year of rumors at AEM.
these emanage's that you have problems with. on average, are they just the basic blue box without the harnesses i suggested a few posts back?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garabaldy
Mr Meaty, after your tuner gets the cel to stop coming on (like I said before with fuel trims) you can make the minor adjustments to WOT yourself, it's not hard just make small changes.
BTW I went to Bandimere on friday and ran a 12.94 at 109mph then my next run my ACT clutch gave out. So, without a slipping clutch I'm hoping to get around 12.7
HELL YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! 12S!
What clutch are you going to get, sinc the ACT (street?) went out? I'm looking at a Comp stage 4.
Oh, and after I try some other maps, i may be giving you a call since you sent me yoru number in a message before.
I can clear the CEL right now and it will run fine for a few days, but it always comes back.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By having the CEL come on means that your short term fuel trim is correcting which will in the long run change your long term fuel trim.
That's the same clutch my shop just ordered for me , comp clutch stage 4 six puck sprung. I'll let you know how it works.
Call anytime
Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by garabaldy

Nice run. I ran the same trap speeds but higher ET due to not ideal traction and me hot lapping the car like 15 times, causing my clutch to heat soak as well. Sorry for the off topic, but what wheel/tire setup were you using?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

he's running 9inch wide slicks on 16's if i rememeber corectly.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
There are 4 of us here in Vegas that would be willing to drive up to AZ in order to find a tuner who is familiar with our setups.
any response to this?
did you get a pm phil?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. I think I remember seeing a phone number posted somewhere, so I'm gonna try to find it and give him a call.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww.
kk, well let me know what he says
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
he's running 9inch wide slicks on 16's if i rememeber corectly.

Yeah, then I forsee him getting a little better than 12.9. How much boost are you running Garabaldy?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 15X7 wheels with Hoosier 26.0 X 9.5 DOT slicks. I'm running 14 psi of boost
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^with or without the water/meth injection kit? How is that phantom grip working for you? You make no mention in your sig if you are built motor, so are you running 14lbs on a stock block? If so what octane are you using?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, he's on a stock motor, been on 14psi for about a month now.

Quick Reply: Turbo Toyotas: Vegas Style! Pics and --NEW-- Dyno inside!