Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Turbo Toyotas: Vegas Style! Pics and --NEW-- Dyno inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

im using mobile1 10 w 40.. the tubing i am going to be getting from checkers auto parts.. i might go today if not i know napa carries it.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just to let you guys know, in case you don't already. those fittings for the t-block are the generic 1/8 npt fittings that you find at hte local home depot and lowes and hardware stores, don't go to the autostores...they jack the price up like crazy..
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

thanks aen! will do!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so is everyone that is boosted running 10-40?? Why so? just curious? I know what changing the viscosity will do but just wondering why you are doing it?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

typo, haha im running 10 w 30 mobile1 synthetic.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even then toyota recommends 5w30, do you just want a little thicker film for cold starts??

I am not boosted yet but currently run royal purple 5w30 and was going to continue using it when I boost, just curious to see why you are using it.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yes and as i am led to believe it doesnt break down as fast and wont clog the lines and build inside the turbine.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would 5w30 break down as fast? not doubting you just asking... they are both 30 when hot so they would carry the same viscosity hot... doesn't it also depend on the quality of oil put in that determines the rate of deterioration?? Okay no more off subjectness.... hows the weather in LV?

The kits look hot like always, I am now kinda wanting the polished mani... hope Todd gets back to me soon about a few things...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be running 10w30 also.

My reasoning is just because synthetic seems a lot thinner by itself compared to reg oil and with 5w30 you seem to get a lot more blow by when boosted.

My rex used to waste a whole quart in between oil changes, than i switched to a 10w and i didnt burn anymore oil.

<--- I too hope Todd gets back to me =)
Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

his answer makes sense more than my tired one does.. haha but it does come down to braking down and not getting blow by.

Question for phil, aen, or matt:

ok so i have my 5 quarts of 10 w 30, oil filter, teflon tape and copper rtv sealant. i still need to but one of those "t" fittings for the oil feed/oil press gauge. Also i need those hoses for the waste gate and for my bov. first question what sizes and how many do i need?? thanks

my next question is i bought the copper rtv sealant. Can i use that for sealing the oil feed lines and what not since teflon breaks down or do i need the "red" high temp rtv sealant as well. the copper one should do it for everything correct? thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc

i hope this helps.
Yes, thank you... much much better!
methinks this turbo kit may not be something in my future...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
his answer makes sense more than my tired one does.. haha but it does come down to braking down and not getting blow by.

ok so i have my 5 quarts of 10 w 30, oil filter, teflon tape and copper rtv sealant. i still need to but one of those "t" fittings for the oil feed/oil press gauge. Also i need those hoses for the waste gate and for my bov. first question what sizes and how many do i need?? thanks

my next question is i bought the copper rtv sealant. Can i use that for sealing the oil feed lines and what not since teflon breaks down or do i need the "red" high temp rtv sealant as well. the copper one should do it for everything correct? thanks!
take the fitting to home depot and ask for air lines or something like that. explain it to htem and get a couple feet......it barely costs anything
Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HondaCRX

i hope this helps.
why wouldnt you want numbers like that.......... that was on a MUSTANG CHASSIS DYNO.... do you realize how fast that car must be
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by aen

take the fitting to home depot and ask for air lines or something like that. explain it to htem and get a couple feet......it barely costs anything
thanks aen, your an infinite source of knowledge!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem man, it's only because i had to go through that though lol
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooops i realized you asked a bunch of other questions too.

T fitting can be found at local home depot lowes store, look in air tools section...not hardware. or plumbing, which is where htye most likely will push you.

as for hte copper rtv sealant, don't use copper, use the red rtv sealant or white permatec sealant

the copper sealant has little flakes of copper in it and if for some reaason that were to break down for any reason at all then you'd have sealant in the oil.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by olaHalo
is there a real dyno graph? not that the dyno graph shown isn't a real one, just crap and useless.

got one to show HP and TQ over RPM? curious what the torque line looks like and how the HP curve looks.

Looking at power options to help make the car more usable (vs. a useless dyno queen or boring drag car)
almost all tCs have more torque than hp when boosted
...? I'm not concerned with numbers... concerned with the area BELOW the graph.

Trying to understand how drivable is this "252whp" for $6400. If it's peaky and the torque curve looks like bart simpson's hair, then it's a Fail. Peak numbers are great for bragging rights, but numbers don't win races.

So, without having to sift thru 50+ pages, is there a better graph that shows HP and TQ over RPM?
ive been told (dont blame me Phil!) that Mr Meatys tune is sorta ____ty. but its still making 250 whp at 5 psi.
and the reason it cost so much is because he paid to have literally everything done.

I personally have the same kit on 8 psi, no problems taking out any hondas
I spent about 4200 and installed and tuned myself (if you can call stealing maps and adjusting them a tune lol)
no i dont have the crappy greddy map
Originally Posted by Enrique9876

i hope this helps.
why wouldnt you want numbers like that.......... that was on a MUSTANG CHASSIS DYNO.... do you realize how fast that car must be
ya i dont get why you have a negative outlook on the kit. Bretts car must be of the fastest out there
Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope this helps.
thats cool. any reason as to why?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

So Brett, still need that EMS?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i do. should be soon.

Quick Reply: Turbo Toyotas: Vegas Style! Pics and --NEW-- Dyno inside!