Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Unintended Consequences

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4me
Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Funny...just about all men commenting on marriage...hhmmm.
Care to put in your two cents?
Just like someone else said, marriage isn't for everyone. I think the US today just doesnt take marriage seriously and that's one of the reasons the divorce rate is so high. I also find it funny that the divorce rate is the highest in republican states. But I think the funniest thing of all is how a lot of men (and women) are terrified of marriage.
Well said! I too laugh at those who are afraid of marriage - like its the plague or something - I am not a fan, but I dont think its that bad.

(you can ignore me, just one of those afternoons where i feel i needed to say something)
Nah, ignoring people with intelligent opinions is ignorant.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I am not scared of marriage...I am scared of the divorce proceeding.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At the police station, Bubba explained to the police officer why his cousins shot him.

"Well," Bubba began, "We wuz havin' a good time, when my cousin Ray picked up his shotgun and said, 'Hey, der ya fellows wanna go hunting?'"

"And then what happened?" the officer interrupted.

"From what I remember," Bubba said, "I stood up and said, 'Sure, I'm game.'"
Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny...just about all men commenting on marriage...hhmmm.
Care to put in your two cents?
She only has two cents? Heck, one divorce later, that's three cents. Her two plus half of his.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsa3mm
I am not scared of marriage...I am scared of the divorce proceeding.
LOL. That's like the old joke: I'm not scared of flying...I'm scared of crashing.

Here is my personal take on all of this. Take it or leave it. Marriage has become what it is today (disposable) because that's precisely what our society keeps telling everyone: "If it gets too hard, just bail. Why stick around and work on something if it gets hard or if you're not happy? After all, you deserve to be happy. It's all about you." Nobody wants to take the marriage vows seriously. When we stand up there and promise to love someone, what does that mean? It means that you will purposefully, as an act of your will, love someone....even when you don't feel like it. That promise isn't talking about the emotion of love. You can't promise to have an emotion or promise to feel a certain way. It's talking about an effort on your part. If more people would attempt to stick it out and work through problems instead of bailing when it gets hard, there would be far fewer divorces. I heard a woman speaker talking about this topic. She said that her first marriage ended because they fought a lot and she wasn't happy. She remarried a few years later and she was really upset to find out that she fought with her new husband too. Same problems, different person. She admitted that if she had tried harder at the first marriage, they would probably still be together.
Now I'm not saying that will be the case for everyone. Obviously there can be many different circumstances. But there are a HUGE number of divorces that could be avoided if we would stop looking at marriage as disposable. My wife and I decided many years ago to take that word out of our vocabulary. It's simply not an option for us. We don't threaten each other with it or throw the word around in fights. When you know going into a fight that you will be working it out, it makes a big difference.
Anyhow, that's the way I see it. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Well, I personally believe if you make the commitment to stick with this person for the rest of your life then you sure should try your hardest to do so. What do I need a signed piece of paper for to make that commitment though?

I just got news yesterday that my friend's brother is filing for divorce because his wife admitted to cheating on him. I couldn't work through that just as much as he can't. Once trust is broken it's over for me.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got news yesterday that my friend's brother is filing for divorce because his wife admitted to cheating on him. I couldn't work through that just as much as he can't. Once trust is broken it's over for me.
It probably would be for me too. I don't want this to become a religious debate, but Jesus himself said that unfaithfulness was an accepted reason (the ONLY reason) to divorce:

Matthew 5:32 "But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

And again in Matthew 19:8 &9"Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Again, I realize that not everyone is a believer. You may not care what the Bible teaches about anything. I really don't want this to become a religious debate. I just think it's important to point out that Christ himself didn't expect a spouse to put up with unfaithfulness. If it has happened in your marriage and you've worked through it, that's awesome. I'm just not 100% sure I could...nor is it expected.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I am not married. The Bible as I've said in the past is a great book with many great stories. I do believe it is the greatest story ever written, but I take just as that - a story. It has great messages in it, but I don't feel that Christ is God. I also say the same about Astrology. Great similarities towards Christianity and many great points of view, but not something to base my entire life on. Morals are not something that have to be taught from a religious stance.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not married. The Bible as I've said in the past is a great book with many great stories. I do believe it is the greatest story ever written, but I take just as that - a story. It has great messages in it, but I don't feel that Christ is God. I also say the same about Astrology. Great similarities towards Christianity and many great points of view, but not something to base my entire life on. Morals are not something that have to be taught from a religious stance.
Like I said, my intention wasn't to start a religious discussion. I was simply commenting on the point you made about unfaithfulness in marriage.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it could be worse... could be hollywood... "Until Brad Pitt do us part."

Signing a prenump, or if you're already married, a legal separation of property, is quite possibly the best thing you could ever do for your marriage.

It's not about divorce. It's about protection. I will not get married without one. Period. In my career, I have too much to lose.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread jumped on the express train to crazy town.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Three women: One engaged, one married, and the third a mistress are having a discussion over coffee about their relationships and decide to amaze their men.

That night, all three will wear a black leather bra, stiletto heels, and a black mask over their eyes.

A few days later, they meet up for lunch.

The engaged woman: the other night, when my boyfriend came over and found me in a
Black bodice, spike heels and a mask, he said: ‘You are the woman of my life, I love you!’ Then we made love all night long.

The mistress: Me Too! I met my lover at his office and I was wearing the leather bra, the stiletto heels, and the mask over my eyes and a raincoat.
When I opened the raincoat, he didn’t say a word, but we had wild sex all night long.

The married woman: I sent the kids to stay at my mother’s house for the night. When my husband came home, I was wearing the black bra, the heels and the mask. As soon as he came in the door and saw me, he said: ‘What’s for dinner, Batman?!’
Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why men dont write advice colums:

Dear Abie,

The other day, I set off for work, leaving my husband in the house watching TV. I hadn't gone more than a kilometre or two when my engine conked out, and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home only to find my husband making love to our neighbour. My husband was let go from his job six months ago, and he says he has been feeling increasingly depressed and worthless. I love him very much, but I don't know if I can trust him anymore. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Frustrated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Frustrated,

A car stalling can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Check for debris in the fuel line. If it's clear, check the "jubilee" clips holding the vacuum pipes onto the inlet manifold. Or maybe the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the carburetor float chamber. I hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I thought they were funny!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pchavez

well I thought they were funny!
Me too!

By the way, good luck in the divorce. Hopefully, you will still have a pot to pee in.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

‘What’s for dinner, Batman?!’
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahahaha