Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Update**Mopeds / Scooters....I GOT one!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Update**Mopeds / Scooters....I GOT one!!

Can anyone share a little knowledge about them? What's a good brand or type? I am lucky enough to live within about 8 miles of my office (might actually be only 6) and I don't have to take any highways between home and here. All the roads I take are posted at 35 MPH or less. Because of this, I have been seriously thinking about getting a moped or scooter to use on nice days. It would be fun, save gas, and keep the milage ultra-low on my car.
Here's my problem: I don't know anything about them. I mean, I had a moped when I was like 13 (nearly 30 years ago) but I haven't paid any attention to them since. There seem to be a bunch of very reasonably priced models available on the internet, but I suspect they are mostly cheap chinese junk. I would like to keep it under $1000 which seems pretty possible. Would I be happy with a 50cc or should I get a 150cc? I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in more than 150cc. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're not getting on the highway, there's no need for a 150cc. I rode a scooter in Italy, it was a lot of fun. The money you save in gas will have the scoot paid for just about the time that you pay it off (speculation). Honda and Yamaha would be the direction I'd go. Yamaha claims that their "Vino" gets 110mpg. If you're feeling nostalgic you could always get a Vespa.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Adrian-the-Red
If you're not getting on the highway, there's no need for a 150cc. I rode a scooter in Italy, it was a lot of fun. The money you save in gas will have the scoot paid for just about the time that you pay it off (speculation). Honda and Yamaha would be the direction I'd go. Yamaha claims that their "Vino" gets 110mpg. If you're feeling nostalgic you could always get a Vespa.
Thanks for the info. So did you ride a 50cc? Do you think (for my needs) a 50cc would be enough? I know a 50cc should have enough top speed, but how sluggish is the accelaration? I don't want to get run over trying to cross a busy street!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Get a Honda Ruckus!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The Honda Ruckus is a good choice.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

At least in our area anything over a 50cc you need a license to ride on the streets. I've got three motorcycles in my yard, 2 of them are 250's and one is a 650. The 250's get over 65mpg and will do 100mph no problem. The 650 gets an average of 50mpg and I ride everyday the sun shines.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Get a Honda Ruckus!
Man...they didn't spend any extra on "style" did they? It looks like an off-road minibike. I kinda like it though. I'll have to check 'em out.
I read enough reviews and articles today to realize that I want to stay away from the super-inexpensive deals on the internet. Almost all of those are chinese made and they fall in the "you get what you pay for" bracket.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

yeah, the ruckus is real big in japan, and now california as well, the say its the next "civic" when it comes to modifications

ive heard of peeps in japan doin motor swaps, paintjobs, lowering and extending the frames as well

passwordjdm.com also sells ruckus parts!

i would definitely get a ruckus
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
yeah, the ruckus is real big in japan, and now california as well, the say its the next "civic" when it comes to modifications

ive heard of peeps in japan doin motor swaps, paintjobs, lowering and extending the frames as well

passwordjdm.com also sells ruckus parts!

i would definitely get a ruckus
LOL...Pimp my Scooter.
I doubt I'll be modding it, but it's good to know it's popular. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ditto i saw it for the first time a few days ago and im in love. they go for just over 2 grand from the honda website.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno...I still kinda prefer the European look of the "Vespa" style scooters. One that has caught my eye is the Yamaha Vino 50:
Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, I like that Vino! That would be cute/cool/awesome if that fit in the back of my xD.. lol. Damn, now I sorta want to get one 'cause of these prices =\

[edit] Actually I prefer this scooter over the Vino, http://www.genuinescooters.com/ . Apparently this Buddy scooter is a tad faster in acceleration and how fast it can go. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting a scooter when I go to CSUF this fall.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Dude, I like that Vino! That would be cute/cool/awesome if that fit in the back of my xD.. lol. Damn, now I sorta want to get one 'cause of these prices =\

[edit] Actually I prefer this scooter over the Vino, http://www.genuinescooters.com/ . Apparently this Buddy scooter is a tad faster in acceleration and how fast it can go. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting a scooter when I go to CSUF this fall.

I like that one too. In the past three days (sinse I've gotten it in my head that I want a scooter) I've talked to several people and done a ton of reading. The one thing I've learned is that I want to go with either an American, Japanese, or European brand. The multitude of inexpensive Chinese models flooding the U.S. right now are basically junk. They overheat, leak, and just generally break down. The Yamaha Vino has a great reliability record. I also want to check out a few from Piaggio.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching.... what is maintenance on these things, just a simple oil change or does it go as far as tranny oil changes every 3 or 4 rides like 2-stroke dirtbikes?

that's the one i was interested in... the Yamaha Zuma. only thing is its a 2-stroke and i dont want the hassles of constant maintenance with them.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCeeder
watching.... what is maintenance on these things, just a simple oil change or does it go as far as tranny oil changes every 3 or 4 rides like 2-stroke dirtbikes?
...that's the one i was interested in... the Yamaha Zuma. only thing is its a 2-stroke and i dont want the hassles of constant maintenance with them.
I would like to stay away from 2-cycle myself. I think most of the new ones (even the 50cc models)are going with 4 cycle engines. A good friend of mine just bought a used 2006 Yamaha Vino 50 and his is 2 cycle, but the '08 Vino 50 is 4 stroke.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, i guess the best bet would be going to the local yamaha/honda/vespa etc dealership and inquiring with a salesman.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I was driving next to a Ruckus yesterday (first time I've seen one on the road around here).

I pulled up to the stoplight and started talking to him about it. He said it was pretty much the best thing he's ever bought, it's a blast to drive (and this was during a rainstorm).

I'm going to a Honda cycle dealership this weekend to look at one... :D
Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Woo-Hoo!!!! I got one!!! I got a Yamaha Zuma over the weekend. It's freaking awesome. It's a blast to ride. It'll do 40 MPH easily and it's rated at 123 MPG!!! I rode it to work today and it was great. I can't wait to leave so I can ride it home. If the milage is anywhere near the 123 MPG rating, I'll be able to ride it to work and back for 2 weeks on 1 gallon of gas! Mine looks exactly like this one:

Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

123mpg? HOLY ****!!! That's awesome!
Let us know if that's what you get, I'll expect a report back in 2 weeks ;) hahaha

Congrats on the new ride as well
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

What did it end up costing you? What about insurance?