Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Virginia Tech School Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by gcxandy
"The suspected gunman was identified Tuesday as an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service.

News reports also said that 23-year-old Cho Seung-Hui may have been taking medication for depression, that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic, and that he left a note in his dorm in which he railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus."

From Wnbc
How did I guess...................................................................................
Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"The suspected gunman was identified Tuesday as an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service.

News reports also said that 23-year-old Cho Seung-Hui may have been taking medication for depression, that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic, and that he left a note in his dorm in which he railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus."

From Wnbc
If that's anything like the WNBA, don't believe it. The only trusted new reports I read are from people who can dunk.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the f*cked up part was there was a shooting already at 7:15 in the morning and the school didn't go about canceling classes.

Then 2 hours later the massacre began and the numbers piled up.
I've been to VT and yeah, the cops there are morons. I've already witnessed how they handled that escaped prisoner incident, so it didn't really surprise me. THey were at fault for not letting everyone know.

I understand it's hard to let EVERYONE know but they didn't even try! So...neglegence would be the word...

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
WTF is wrong with America.
Making love is obscene and forbidden to be shown, but violence in the media/entertainment is portrayed as cool at a startlingly early age and then pummled into their brains at an astoshingly high rate of fire and is shown to solve problems.

Do I blame the media? Hell no, I was a product of that as well, but I have the mechanism in my brain that prevents me from doing that (or at least I hope I do). However, the more I think about it, the more I think that there is something to showing such violent shows and games on a kiddie level and then all through puberty. Geeze, that's when the brain is being wired! uh, hello? mcFly!
lol

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Oh great. The Korean bashing will be here any minute now.
thought about that all day since this morning...koreans are gonna get some pretty bad stereotypes...

Originally Posted by etli
Any info on what the gunman's motivation was? He wasn't carrying any ID on him? Just walked into a classroom, chained the doors, and started shooting? Jeez. Anybody reporting if he actually said anything?
This is what I heard from my roomate, whom was watching the news for the past 2 days.

The gunman cho yeung hui, I believe his name was, was trying to talk to this girl. She rejected him...long story short, he shot her. Then was probably ____ed off and like was stated before, just wanted to go out with a big bang.

Don't quote me on that though...that's just what I heard.

A video taken from a cellphone can be seen here (click me)

seems like he gets shot in the end.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tito_Cruz
I saw an interview of the kid taking the video. He said that a police officer was yelling at him. And maybe tackled the kid?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
I saw an interview of the kid taking the video. He said that a police officer was yelling at him. And maybe tackled the kid?
WTH? Why would he do that?

"I see a kid holding an object! He's pointing at the civilians! I'm GOING IN!"

like I said before...those cops up there are morons!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

this was a horrible incident, i just remember yesterday hearing the death toll rise and rise.

It is too bad that justice really can't be done in this tragic event since the gunman took his own life, I would like to hear what his parents have to say.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MTcX
this was a horrible incident, i just remember yesterday hearing the death toll rise and rise.

It is too bad that justice really can't be done in this tragic event since the gunman took his own life, I would like to hear what his parents have to say.
o, i'm sure the Bush administration will find a way to get "justice". Next thing you know, either north or south korea will be accused of having WMD's or nukes.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah someone i know was one of the kids whom was inside the engineering lecture room where 30 people were killed.

Luckily he escaped before the gunman could turn to him. Thats realllly scary
Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattledave

From Wnbc
If that's anything like the WNBA, don't believe it. The only trusted new reports I read are from people who can dunk.
Why do I bother looking at you post?? WTF, does that mean.

Anyway, I totally agree with how the situtation was handled as far as securit went. Not many people stay in the area where they just killed someone. And they didn't know who it was, so what are you locking down the campus for. Shootings happen all the time, but massacres don't. The 5.0 had no way of knowing he would go that far.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

the victims man it hurts to see their pictures, just normal people like us =(
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

the victims man it hurts to see their pictures, just normal people like us =(
That is so sad.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So there were "warning signs" from the shooter? He was an English major and wrote disturbing literature? Hmmm... Hey folks, just in case, I found this article -

http://www.stratfor.com/products/pre....php?id=287398

Indicators of Planning

In past cases, school shooters often have given prior warnings as to their intentions. In other words, they did not just "snap" and go on a killing spree. In most cases, their attacks were methodically planned, often over a long period of time. Jeff Weise, the teenage student arrested for the Minnesota shootings, allegedly spent more than a year planning his attack, including conducting walk-through rehearsals and noting the location of security cameras. Weise also had help from a friend, who eventually pleaded guilty to transmitting threatening messages via the Internet.

As in workplace attacks, one of the biggest contributing factors to school shootings is the failure to identify the warning signs or to take the signs (even obvious ones) seriously. Because of this, following the April 1999 Columbine shooting, the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Secret Service conducted an extensive study of school shootings and developed educational materials that have helped raise the awareness of such warning signs.

The warning signs include sudden changes in a person's behavior, his or her decreased productivity, withdrawal from friends or the sudden display of negative traits, such as irritation, poor hygiene or snapping at or abusing fellow students. Perhaps the most indicative signs that serious trouble is looming are talk about suicide and/or the expression of actual or veiled threats. In most previous cases, especially those involving detailed planning, the factors leading to the violent outburst have built up over a long time. These factors have included failed romantic relationships, stress from family relationships, failing grades or perceived injustice at the hands of peers or teachers. As was highlighted in the Columbine case, quite often the shooter fantasizes about committing the attack for some time and even shares those fantasies with a friend or via an online form such as a blog or Web site.

Due to the government's educational efforts, several attacks have been foiled by people who have recognized and reported the warning signs to authorities. Of course in some cases, the signs have been as blatant as students sharing their plans for an attack in advance with their friends or warning other students not to go to school on a certain day.

Although the details of the events leading up to the Virginia Tech shooting are not yet clear, Cho apparently spent quite some time planning his attack, which strongly suggests he gave some indication of his intent that was not recognized or that he even made threats that went unheeded. There are now unconfirmed reports that Cho set at least one fire on campus, that he had stalked a student, that he had been sent for counseling and that he was taking an antidepressant. At least some of these indicators likely are true, and we anticipate that others will surface as the investigation into the attack progress.
Since Hitler's Birthday / Anniversery of Columbine / Anniversery of Branch Davidian shootout etc. (April 20th) is coming up - if you know someone who has some of the warning signs indicated above, let people know. Tell the cops at least or someone in authority.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

o, i'm sure the Bush administration will find a way to get "justice". Next thing you know, either north or south korea will be accused of having WMD's or nukes.
oh get over it. bush is not the problem or an answer in this situation. damned democrats always putting bush as the most evil individual ever... ARGH
Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were a police officer at a shots fired scene, your main priority is to get EVERYONE in custody, aid to victims, and protect evidence. You do not know who is a suspect, accomplice, or if that person had a gun. You do not want people taking video or pictures of an ongoing crime scene, it is evidence. That cop is not going to simply walk over non-challantly to the kid, and stand there asking for the camera phone while bullets are flying.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purpled_out_tC

From Wnbc
Why do I bother looking at you post?? WTF, does that mean.

Anyway, I totally agree with how the situtation was handled as far as securit went. Not many people stay in the area where they just killed someone. And they didn't know who it was, so what are you locking down the campus for. Shootings happen all the time, but massacres don't. The 5.0 had no way of knowing he would go that far.
When two people are found dead on campus and no suspect...you need to ATLEAST cancel classes untill the suspect is found...don't you think?

Originally Posted by hotbox05

oh get over it. bush is not the problem or an answer in this situation. damned democrats always putting bush as the most evil individual ever... ARGH
bush isn't a problem...yet, but I bet he will find a way to blame korea on this one...or even link evidence as a "terrorist" attack...watch out.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ilovemytC

If you were a police officer at a shots fired scene, your main priority is to get EVERYONE in custody, aid to victims, and protect evidence. You do not know who is a suspect, accomplice, or if that person had a gun. You do not want people taking video or pictures of an ongoing crime scene, it is evidence. That cop is not going to simply walk over non-challantly to the kid, and stand there asking for the camera phone while bullets are flying.
I couldn't agree with you more...

In the video you can hear the shots fired...they're not comming from the camera man.

Why wouldn't you want someone taking videos of an ongoing crime scene? Wouldn't it aid to their investigation?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they should have at least warned everyone.... hey.... "killer on the loose" look out! no, they did a half a$$ed job n sent an email 2 hours later.... GOOD JOB! if i was at vt id be filling the transfer form as we speak.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so any ideas on what "ismail ax" means??

it was written in red on cho's arm...
Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a muslim phrase.... ishmail wanted to kill abraham with an axe.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Oh great. The Korean bashing will be here any minute now.
yeah man.. theres already been reports of people burning korean flags in the streeets.. its not looking good for us bro..

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech School Shooting