Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Virginia Tech School Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Originally Posted by Nephi
that's what I said but then about half a dozen people assaulted me with insults
People are small minded and don't want to accept the truth at times my dear.

They came back with instances of similar disasters in Europe. Half of which were from war eras duh
HALF of which? I think ONE of SEVEN (or 14%) is a more accurate term.

Switzerland has the HIGHEST per captia rate of firearm ownership. But despite the wide ownership and availability of guns, violent crime is extremely rare. ]

I bet you dont think guns are the reason why the crime rate is so low, do you?

As always, it is a people problem, not an object problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone remember the shooting incident 2 years ago at the law school in Grundy, VA? (Appalachian School of Law). A student with psychological problems had been flunked out and came back heavily armed and started opening fire in one of the classrooms. He killed three before being "overpowered" and apprehended by other students. This made major headlines, but most papers intentionally left out one major fact. The students who overpowered him ran to their cars and got their own firearms. They were then able to force the killer to surrender before another person was killed.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tuvanhillbilly
Does anyone remember the shooting incident 2 years ago at the law school in Grundy, VA? (Appalachian School of Law). A student with psychological problems had been flunked out and came back heavily armed and started opening fire in one of the classrooms. He killed three before being "overpowered" and apprehended by other students. This made major headlines, but most papers intentionally left out one major fact. The students who overpowered him ran to their cars and got their own firearms. They were then able to force the killer to surrender before another person was killed.
Do you mean to say the media (gasp!!) engage in 'selective reporting'?

Say it aint so!

FYI - smell that?....thats S-A-R-C-A-S-M.

The media does everything in its power to portray firearms in a negative light. Can anyone say "agenda"?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw the media. When I was a cadet for the police department, we would be at crime scenes doing evidence sweeps and guarding exits and entrances. I remember everytime there was a major crime, the media would ALWAYS get their info wrong and speculate on the rest. I never listen to what the news or newspapers say, it's all propoganda and b.s. I only watch for updates and the weather, which is pretty accurate up here, everything else is a waste of time.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by ilovemytC
Screw the media. When I was a cadet for the police department, we would be at crime scenes doing evidence sweeps and guarding exits and entrances. I remember everytime there was a major crime, the media would ALWAYS get their info wrong and speculate on the rest. I never listen to what the news or newspapers say, it's all propoganda and b.s. I only watch for updates and the weather, which is pretty accurate up here, everything else is a waste of time.
Newspapers seem to be less objective than other media sources, although they are a little bit more accurate. I do agree that a lot of the media is propaganda, though.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:41 AM
SL Member

Sorry but for who ever said I HAVE to back up what I say...you're wrong. I stated an opinion...and that was that, i'm looking for an arguement or a thesis on my beliefs...

S**T happens but most of it is in the U.S. .....

I believe that weapons should be illegal and to be used for only the military and law enforcement....
Old 04-19-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you hear chris matthews trying to get that one roommate to talk about how counterstrike and violent video games are bad...

I can't get the link to the video but here is an article referencing the shootings and counterstrike....

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=041807_4

typical media BS..

The only person who should be blamed is CHO as he's the guy who did it all..
Old 04-19-2007, 03:50 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by guitarguru44
did you hear chris matthews trying to get that one roommate to talk about how counterstrike and violent video games are bad...

I can't get the link to the video but here is an article referencing the shootings and counterstrike....

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=041807_4

typical media BS..

The only person who should be blamed is CHO as he's the guy who did it all..
Are you watching MSNBC..as well ?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry but for who ever said I HAVE to back up what I say...you're wrong. I stated an opinion...and that was that, i'm looking for an arguement or a thesis on my beliefs...

I believe that weapons should be illegal and to be used for only the military and law enforcement....
Ok you don't HAVE to, but be prepared to have a debate with the facts. You are correct that having guns does increase violence, but taking away our Amendment rights is NOT going to solve anything.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nephi: and I gave Claudia those examples in Europe only because she said school shootings NEVER happen there, and I can quote that if you want....You made the comment of the truth, what you said was not the truth, rather an opinion-that is why I quoted what you said.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You really should learn how to read EVERYTHING and take things with a pinch of salt
Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you were thinking what you said was your "opinion", but giving false information and then claiming it an opinion isn't what an opinion is. That's like saying, "the chair is red, well that's my opinion anyway." No, the chair is either red or isn't red, it isn't open for opinionated review.

Facts are facts. They are either correct facts or incorrect facts. Opinions aren't the same thing. Stating this "only happens in the US" isn't an opinion, it is meerly an incorrect fact. Stating that you think weapons should only be obtained by millitary and police forces is an opinion. I have opinions on your opinion there, but it's not important here. I also have facts that back up that my opinion is more correct than your opinion, but again, not relevant at this time.

The reality is this: despite the fear mongering going on in our press, the US is one of the safest places to live on the planet. Think of all the hell holes on the planet you could have been born in. This one isn't too bad. It's not Holland or Switzerland, but it's pretty good none-the-less.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Scotland, March 1996: Gun enthusiast Thomas Hamilton shoots 16 children and their teacher dead at their primary school in Dunblane, Scotland before killing himself.

Yemen, March 1997: A man with an assault rifle attacked hundreds of pupils at two schools in Sanaa, Yemen, killing six children and two others. He was sentenced to death the next day.

United States, October 1997: A 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed his mother before shooting dead two students, including his former girlfriend, at Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi.

United States, December 1997: A 14-year old boy killed three students attending a prayer meeting at Heath High School in West Paducah, Kentucky.

United States, March 1998: Two boys aged 13 and 11 killed four pupils and a teacher after setting off fire alarms at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

United States, April 1999: Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, before killing themselves.

Germany, November 1999: A 15-year-old student in Meissen, eastern Germany, stabbed his teacher to death after taking bets from classmates he would dare commit the crime.

He was later jailed for seven years.

Germany, March 2000: A 16-year-old pupil at a private boarding school in the Bavarian town of Branneburg, shot a 57-year-old teacher, who later died from injuries.

The teenager - who also shot himself - was facing expulsion from school after failing a cannabis test.

Germany, February 2002: A former pupil killed his headmaster and set off pipe bombs in the technical school he had recently been expelled from in Freising near Munich.

The man also shot dead his boss and a foreman at the company he worked for before turning the gun on himself. Another teacher was shot in the face, but survived.

Germany, April 2002: Seventeen people killed after a gunman - a former pupil - opens fire in a school in Erfurt, eastern Germany. He then turned the gun on himself.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Think of all the hell holes on the planet you could have been born in. This one isn't too bad. It's not Holland or Switzerland, but it's pretty good none-the-less.
Oh I totally agree. That's why I'm a US citizen.
But with every country it has its pros and its cons. And those vary from person to person. To ME Pros - great education opportunities (that's why I chose the US for my BA not anywhere else) - great job market - very easy unstressful every day life
Cons - well those you already know
Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Found a better one.

Feb. 2, 1996
Moses Lake, Wash. Two students and one teacher killed, one other wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class.
March 13, 1996
Dunblane, Scotland 16 children and one teacher killed at Dunblane Primary School by Thomas Hamilton, who then killed himself. 10 others wounded in attack.
Feb. 19, 1997
Bethel, Alaska Principal and one student killed, two others wounded by Evan Ramsey, 16.
March 1997
Sanaa, Yemen Eight people (six students and two others) at two schools killed by Mohammad Ahman al-Naziri.
Oct. 1, 1997
Pearl, Miss. Two students killed and seven wounded by Luke Woodham, 16, who was also accused of killing his mother. He and his friends were said to be outcasts who worshiped Satan.
Dec. 1, 1997
West Paducah, Ky. Three students killed, five wounded by Michael Carneal, 14, as they participated in a prayer circle at Heath High School.
Dec. 15, 1997
Stamps, Ark. Two students wounded. Colt Todd, 14, was hiding in the woods when he shot the students as they stood in the parking lot.
March 24, 1998
Jonesboro, Ark. Four students and one teacher killed, ten others wounded outside as Westside Middle School emptied during a false fire alarm. Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, shot at their classmates and teachers from the woods.
April 24, 1998
Edinboro, Pa. One teacher, John Gillette, killed, two students wounded at a dance at James W. Parker Middle School. Andrew Wurst, 14, was charged.
May 19, 1998
Fayetteville, Tenn. One student killed in the parking lot at Lincoln County High School three days before he was to graduate. The victim was dating the ex-girlfriend of his killer, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis.
May 21, 1998
Springfield, Ore. Two students killed, 22 others wounded in the cafeteria at Thurston High School by 15-year-old Kip Kinkel. Kinkel had been arrested and released a day earlier for bringing a gun to school. His parents were later found dead at home.
June 15, 1998
Richmond, Va. One teacher and one guidance counselor wounded by a 14-year-old boy in the school hallway.
April 20, 1999
Littleton, Colo. 14 students (including killers) and one teacher killed, 23 others wounded at Columbine High School in the nation's deadliest school shooting. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, had plotted for a year to kill at least 500 and blow up their school. At the end of their hour-long rampage, they turned their guns on themselves.
April 28, 1999
Taber, Alberta, Canada One student killed, one wounded at W. R. Myers High School in first fatal high school shooting in Canada in 20 years. The suspect, a 14-year-old boy, had dropped out of school after he was severely ostracized by his classmates.
May 20, 1999
Conyers, Ga. Six students injured at Heritage High School by Thomas Solomon, 15, who was reportedly depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.
Nov. 19, 1999
Deming, N.M. Victor Cordova Jr., 12, shot and killed Araceli Tena, 13, in the lobby of Deming Middle School.
Dec. 6, 1999
Fort Gibson, Okla. Four students wounded as Seth Trickey, 13, opened fire with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at Fort Gibson Middle School.
Dec. 7, 1999
Veghel, Netherlands One teacher and three students wounded by a 17-year-old student.
Feb. 29, 2000
Mount Morris Township, Mich. Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.
March 2000
Branneburg, Germany One teacher killed by a 15-year-old student, who then shot himself. The shooter has been in a coma ever since.
March 10, 2000
Savannah, Ga. Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School.
May 26, 2000
Lake Worth, Fla. One teacher, Barry Grunow, shot and killed at Lake Worth Middle School by Nate Brazill, 13, with .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol on the last day of classes.
Sept. 26, 2000
New Orleans, La. Two students wounded with the same gun during a fight at Woodson Middle School.
Jan. 17, 2001
Baltimore, Md. One student shot and killed in front of Lake Clifton Eastern High School.
Jan. 18, 2001
Jan, Sweden One student killed by two boys, ages 17 and 19.
March 5, 2001
Santee, Calif. Two killed and 13 wounded by Charles Andrew Williams, 15, firing from a bathroom at Santana High School.
March 7, 2001
Williamsport, Pa. Elizabeth Catherine Bush, 14, wounded student Kimberly Marchese in the cafeteria of Bishop Neumann High School; she was depressed and frequently teased.
March 22, 2001
Granite Hills, Calif. One teacher and three students wounded by Jason Hoffman, 18, at Granite Hills High School. A policeman shot and wounded Hoffman.
March 30, 2001
Gary, Ind. One student killed by Donald R. Burt, Jr., a 17-year-old student who had been expelled from Lew Wallace High School.
Nov. 12, 2001
Caro, Mich. Chris Buschbacher, 17, took two hostages at the Caro Learning Center before killing himself.
Jan. 15, 2002
New York, N.Y. A teenager wounded two students at Martin Luther King Jr. High School.
Feb. 19, 2002
Freising, Germany Two killed in Eching by a man at the factory from which he had been fired; he then traveled to Freising and killed the headmaster of the technical school from which he had been expelled. He also wounded another teacher before killing himself.
April 26, 2002
Erfurt, Germany 13 teachers, two students, and one policeman killed, ten wounded by Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, at the Johann Gutenberg secondary school. Steinhaeuser then killed himself.
April 29, 2002
Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina One teacher killed, one wounded by Dragoslav Petkovic, 17, who then killed himself.
April 14, 2003
New Orleans, La. One 15-year-old killed, and three students wounded at John McDonogh High School by gunfire from four teenagers (none were students at the school). The motive was gang-related.
April 24, 2003
Red Lion, Pa. James Sheets, 14, killed principal Eugene Segro of Red Lion Area Junior High School before killing himself.
Sept. 24, 2003
Cold Spring, Minn. Two students are killed at Rocori High School by John Jason McLaughlin, 15.
Sept. 28, 2004
Carmen de Patagones, Argentina Three students killed and 6 wounded by a 15-year-old Argentininan student in a town 620 miles south of Buenos Aires.
March 21, 2005
Red Lake, Minn. Jeff Weise, 16, killed grandfather and companion, then arrived at school where he killed a teacher, a security guard, 5 students, and finally himself, leaving a total of 10 dead.
Nov. 8, 2005
Jacksboro, Tenn. One 15-year-old shot and killed an assistant principal at Campbell County High School and seriously wounded two other administrators.
Aug. 24, 2006
Essex, Vt. Christopher Williams, 27, looking for his ex-girlfriend at Essex Elementary School, shot two teachers, killing one and wounding another. Before going to the school, he had killed the ex-girlfriend's mother.
Sept. 13, 2006
Montreal, Canada Kimveer Gill, 25, opened fire with a semiautomatic weapon at Dawson College. Anastasia De Sousa, 18, died and more than a dozen students and faculty were wounded before Gill killed himself.
Sept. 26, 2006
Bailey, Colo. Adult male held six students hostage at Platte Canyon High School and then shot and killed Emily Keyes, 16, and himself.
Sept. 29, 2006
Cazenovia, Wis. A 15-year-old student shot and killed Weston School principal John Klang.
Oct. 3, 2006
Nickel Mines, Pa. 32-year-old Carl Charles Roberts IV entered the one-room West Nickel Mines Amish School and shot 10 schoolgirls, ranging in age from 6 to 13 years old, and then himself. Five of the girls and Roberts died.
Jan. 3, 2007
Tacoma, Wash. Douglas Chanthabouly, 18, shot fellow student Samnang Kok, 17, in the hallway of Henry Foss High School.
April 16, 2007
Blacksburg, Va. A 23-year-old Virginia Tech student, Cho Seung-Hui, killed two in a dorm, then killed 30 more 2 hours later in a classroom building. His suicide brought the death toll to 33, making the shooting rampage the most deadly in U.S. history. Fifteen others were wounded.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think of all the hell holes on the planet you could have been born in. This one isn't too bad. It's not Holland or Switzerland, but it's pretty good none-the-less.
But with every country it has its pros and its cons. And those vary from person to person. To ME Pros - great education opportunities (that's why I chose the US for my BA not anywhere else) - great job market - very easy unstressful every day life
We do have the best system of universities anywhere in the world, but our average 12th grader is equivilant to an average Dutch 8th grader.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sooooo the ratio of US vs. everywhere else is what?

5:1?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We do have the best system of universities anywhere in the world, but our average 12th grader is equivilant to an average Dutch 8th grader.
yes that's why I did my high school in Europe and I managed to grad. with my BA. in less that 3 years
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

But the BIG pro about unis here is that you don't loose time...In Italy, for example, you need to have an idea of what you want to do in your life, at age 14 - which is insane.

I didn't know I was going to be an Econ Mayor (sp? Major? bah I always get confused) until sophmore.

There? HA! My cousin thought she wanted to become a lawyer so on her 3rd year in Law Univ. she switched her mind to Languages and those 3 years were thrown down the drain since no credits over lap to other areas of studies.

And the job market here.....NO ONE (again please don't take this literally LOL = very few) in Europe are 21 yrs old with a BA equivalent and a job
Old 04-19-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

0 in China or Japan, that beats Europe.

Quick Reply: Virginia Tech School Shooting