Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Virginia Tech School Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jakedudeta
The FBI is monitoring this thread.
Well, I think technically, in the US, the NSA is monitoring this thread. Of course, they are supposed to forward any useful intel to the FBI.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by etli
The FBI is monitoring this thread.
Well, I think technically, in the US, the NSA is monitoring this thread. Of course, they are supposed to forward any useful intel to the FBI.
Oh sure. Drop a little knowledge on us. I'm not sure SL is ready for you my friend.
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The writings, while pretty damn disturbing, are still just writings and is probably protected under Free Speech.
It's not that it's protected, but if you were to single out everyone who writes a bit or even a lot disturbing, you wouldn't find much of anything but a bunch of Emos who cut themselves.
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All the problems of the world would be solved if people could just live by one maxim:

"DONT BE AN A$$H0LE"

This really would solve all our problems. And no, I was not the first to figure it out.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2, also:

"DON'T DO DRUGS!"

and,

"DON'T GIVE EMOS GUNS!"
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the problems of the world would be solved if people could just live by one maxim:

"DONT BE AN A$$H0LE"

This really would solve all our problems. And no, I was not the first to figure it out.
That reminds me of the quote in my sig, I posted it in Yahoo Answers to some kid wondering what would bring peace on Earth?:
Old 04-20-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who said the NSA is monitoring this thread? Why?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See you guys talk about media and all this crap, and while I totally agree with some of your points it has nothing to do with that. Anyone can pick up a gun and shoot someone, in particular, anyone can play GTA and LOVE it and not have the ***** to pick up a gun and kill someone. Its a completely different realm.

Fictional violence will FEED what we naturally have in us, it will naturally keep down taht adrenaline that we get when we get so angry, when we want to kill or hurt someone. Games, movies, and sports. Theres nothing wrong with getting aggression out but it sounds like people like this are the kind of people that never got that aggression out and unfortunately they didn't until that moment when they pulled a REAL gun on people.

Some people are more fascinated with violence and war more than others, while we might think WWII was interesting, would you want to replay that in real life? ____ no. While some people are pro-war pro-violence, I think this world would be a much better place if we just didn't have guns period. ____ war, ____ violence, I think its ridiculous.

Its really hard to tell what people will and won't do.

Imagine if we banned all firearms. ALL. imagine if there were no guns existent in the US. Imagine if we just practiced the passiveness that ghandi taught. Maybe we if we did that the world would be a better place. but what about those few people that are so fascinated they have to get their hands on one? Theres always gonna be that underground black market... its gonna be somewhere its just part of our culture, our being...

humans can be violent and it really makes me upset when people express themselves this way. its too bad he wasn't helped before this happened. I never really had a stance on this because it comes to no surprise that there was yet another shooting.

you know, you can suggest to ban all the bad video games, to make ratings on TV shows and movies more strict, you can blame it on the parents, on the schools... but really who can we blame? we can implement something else but only the test of time will tell if that is whats causing all of the violence...

i rambled on alot, I just had to share that.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i am saddened by what happened at VT. it is hard to imagine one person killing so many with just handguns. all the past incidences of school shootings the perps used more powerful weapons and there was less death. from the sounds of the video clips that dudes brain was gone. he was uttering nonsense. but what bothers me also is that the media automatically inserted that he was a possible "terrorist" in there just because he was not white. i didn't hear anything about possible terrorism when columbine and the shooting at the amish school happened. its already tragic enuff without stereotyping the rest of the world. understand i don't condone any kind of behavior like this. if they catch anybody doing this they should be executed immediately without trial. my heart goes out to everybody involved in this.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Originally Posted by ilovemytC
My fiancee did 4 years in Panama in the Marines, he says it's nice down there and a good place to retire, but that was like back in the '90s.
Panama isn't nearly as stable as Costa Rica. Plus, CR has the mountains to retreat to when the beach gets into the 90's. Costa Rica has had a stable government for over 100 years, and is known as the Switzerland of the Americas. Check out the Real Estate prices on craigslist, it's amazing.

Peru is just a bunch of farmers, and nothing really happens there.
Er... wasn't Shining Path in Peru? Or am I getting my countries confused?

Anyways - back to the whole "warning signs" thing on the shooter. Although it looks pretty obvious to us now, with 20/20 hindsight, I would say it would have been very unlikely that anyone could have intervened in a meaningful way beforehand. The writings, while pretty damn disturbing, are still just writings and is probably protected under Free Speech. His odd behavior and history of being bullied certainly didn't help but being "wierd" is not grounds for involuntary psychiatric restriction. I think the standard for involuntary committment in most states is something like; "imminent threat to self or others". I'm guessing the only criminal behavior would have been his stalking of other female students but even then - a restraining order, a piece of paper signed on a judges desk doesn't really provide a practical level of deterrance or detection. In short, he hadn't done anything beforehand that would have LET or REQUIRED any civil or medical authority throw him in jail or put him in a pyschiatric hospital on lockdown.
Couldn't agree with you more chris.

I just want to add that the girl and the RA that died that morning...that incident had little chance of being avoided. The other 30 people that died and the rest that were injured, DIDN'T HAVE TO BE SHOT!

All they had to do was cancel classes and warn the students. THey waited untill what? Cho to start shooting to warn them? Then the Blacksburg police department had the nerve to give the excuse of, "it was an isolated" shooting. Did they have the suspect in custody? Did they have any idea where or who he was? No, so why not warn the other students?

I'm not saying it was the police departments' fault but the number of casualties...could've been smaller.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tito_Cruz
My fiancee did 4 years in Panama in the Marines, he says it's nice down there and a good place to retire, but that was like back in the '90s.
Panama isn't nearly as stable as Costa Rica. Plus, CR has the mountains to retreat to when the beach gets into the 90's. Costa Rica has had a stable government for over 100 years, and is known as the Switzerland of the Americas. Check out the Real Estate prices on craigslist, it's amazing.

Anyways - back to the whole "warning signs" thing on the shooter. Although it looks pretty obvious to us now, with 20/20 hindsight, I would say it would have been very unlikely that anyone could have intervened in a meaningful way beforehand. The writings, while pretty damn disturbing, are still just writings and is probably protected under Free Speech. His odd behavior and history of being bullied certainly didn't help but being "wierd" is not grounds for involuntary psychiatric restriction. I think the standard for involuntary committment in most states is something like; "imminent threat to self or others". I'm guessing the only criminal behavior would have been his stalking of other female students but even then - a restraining order, a piece of paper signed on a judges desk doesn't really provide a practical level of deterrance or detection. In short, he hadn't done anything beforehand that would have LET or REQUIRED any civil or medical authority throw him in jail or put him in a pyschiatric hospital on lockdown.

I just want to add that the girl and the RA that died that morning...that incident had little chance of being avoided. The other 30 people that died and the rest that were injured, DIDN'T HAVE TO BE SHOT!

All they had to do was cancel classes and warn the students. THey waited untill what? Cho to start shooting to warn them? Then the Blacksburg police department had the nerve to give the excuse of, "it was an isolated" shooting. Did they have the suspect in custody? Did they have any idea where or who he was? No, so why not warn the other students?

I'm not saying it was the police departments' fault but the number of casualties...could've been smaller.
Er..., who's Chris? etli is me, Ed.

I think the police assumed after the first shooting that the shooter was still somewhat rational. Most murderers are NOT psychotic - after they committ the crime, they ditch the gun, they put some distance between themselves and the crime scene, they try to think of an alibi or a plan to escape the police, etc... Most murders ARE isolated incidents. I don't think the police after the 1st shooting would have any way of knowing that the guy was on a spree.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2

Anyone know just how far away the dorm rooms are from those classrooms?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i was at the doctors office on tuesday and while waiting to be called in a patient was talking to the receptionist and was telling her that if everyone had a gun then the Virginia Tech gunman wouldnt have killed all those people. the look on the receptionist face was memorable. i do not agree that everyone should have, i think gun laws should be strictly inforced and VERY VERY little people should have guns. VERY LITTLE

5th Amendment(people only know the last part)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

you see it says a well regulated Militia, not just any civilian
Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that part, but if they took away our right to bear arms, they would also be taking away our right to protect ourselves. You can't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Pen to a test. -- Jay-Z (but I forgot which song)
Old 04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tito_Cruz

Er..., who's Chris? etli is me, Ed.

I think the police assumed after the first shooting that the shooter was still somewhat rational. Most murderers are NOT psychotic - after they committ the crime, they ditch the gun, they put some distance between themselves and the crime scene, they try to think of an alibi or a plan to escape the police, etc... Most murders ARE isolated incidents. I don't think the police after the 1st shooting would have any way of knowing that the guy was on a spree.
sorry...I confused you for someone else. haha...mah bad. I do that alot.

I see where you're coming from. Although, they didn't know, would be the key point. They DIDN'T know! So they should've warned the students. They didn't know where he was...they didn't think he was still on campus...but they didn't know that.

Also, they claimed they had the shooter in custody and it ended up being the wrong person. They also said the guy was chinese at first. Shows you how bright they are...