Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

What is there to do without a college education?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009 | 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is there to do without a college education?

I hate college....and im no good at it...no dedication....i was wondering what opportunities there were for someone without a degree in these times
Old 04-16-2009 | 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont attend a college/university/trade school etc. however, i did go to bartending school. only takes two weeks (at most places) it is a bit pricey but it was worth it to me. you learn a lot. right now i'm a waiter/bartender/maitenance worker at my family's restaurant and its great money. ive been there since i was 15 and im currently trying to get another job but its hard because my job now is so flexible.

im sure theres lots of other jobs out there you can do without a degree. you just need to do what makes YOU happy. good luck . we all need it these days.
Old 04-16-2009 | 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 203superwhitetC
im sure theres lots of other jobs out there you can do without a degree. you just need to do what makes YOU happy. good luck . we all need it these days.
they only problem is that most jobs now...even BS jobs that you think are poopy might require something...but i know alot of ppl in my age group with no college education that i guess happened to be lucky and got great jobs with great pay....so im sure some how you can manage to find something....and what 203 wrote was exactly what i had to say hints the reason i quoted him up top.....
Old 04-16-2009 | 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im a career engine builder and dyno operator. I just stumbled into the job when I was picking up an engine I had machined.
Old 04-16-2009 | 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can weld you can become an apprentice or an apprentice anywere really electrical, plumbers. iron, carpenters. There is a lot out there. chemical plants, military. My friend witch is 19 is bringing in a bit over 5g's a month working on the windmills. he left college for it . what are you going to school for ?
Old 04-16-2009 | 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What is there to do without a college education?

Originally Posted by gingles
I hate college....and im no good at it...no dedication....i was wondering what opportunities there were for someone without a degree in these times
If there is any way you can stick it out and get a 4-year degree, you should do it. Even if you don't have a clear focus on what you want to do with it, a degree will put many more options on the table. Without a degree you have very limited options. You can either work as unskilled labor (very little money) or you can learn a technical trade. The only problem with that is it is very focused. If you go spend a year or two and $10,000 learning a trade, you had better enjoy the field. You really aren't going to be able to do very much else with that training. College isn't for everyone, but it sure gives you more possibilities. Just something to think about.
Old 04-16-2009 | 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I SAY GO TO THE ARMY
Old 04-16-2009 | 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are your options, going from best to worst.

Best is defined as highest income, easier lifestyle, more white collar job. Worst would be the opposite.

1)College Degree .... Even if you hate it and struggle through it, it's still far worth it in the end.

2) Mommy/Daddy hookups. A lot of people will look down on these, but hey, if you can walk into a good job.. why not?

3) Armed Forces - If you can avoid combat, a very good, steady job. Go for officer's school.

4) Non-degree requiring professional schools. They can range from nursing (LPN), to mechanic training schools. All offer very good careers, but it's very college-like.

5) Associates degree and mail-order schools. Hey, it's better than nothing.

6) Blindly applying for whatever you find, in the hopes that you work your way up without any training.

-------------

With that being said, I'm of the opinion that ONE trained mechanic who didn't go to college is far more honorable and respectable than a perpetual student seeking a PhD in sociology.

Experience trumps anything.
School allows you to get experience.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

or try to find a job that will pay you to go to school... Hell, I work for a bank and they are paying me to go and sit in class, plus they are paying for it...
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Janitor, ditch digger, or a prostitute.
Old 04-17-2009 | 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

merchant marines is another good paying job
Old 04-17-2009 | 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158
Janitor, ditch digger, or a prostitute.
or carnival attendant.

I was in your place for the first semester of my freshman year. don't talk yourself down. I buckled down and now my GPA is at least a 3.5. It will be worth it. Go for law enforcement. that's what im doing
Old 04-17-2009 | 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sales. Let me be clearer....PROFFESIONAL sales. Not whimsical sales "jobs". If you are disciplined and most of all are ethical there are arenas in sales that are VERY rewarding and respected. I took 2 classes in college and decided I just am not the "school" type. I actually didn't even graduate high school. Hated that so much got my GED and went on with life.

Here is what I can tell you. A degree honestly means nothing anymore unless you are seeking a specialized degree. For example, medical, law, dietetics etc. The reason employers say a degree is required is simply to show that you are dedicated to finishing what you start.

Anywy back to the point. Fact is learn sales as a respected trade and you will in most cases surpass what your counterparts are making and you will be working less hours and not have the debt that student loans bring with no promise of any big payday at the end.

Best wishes to you!
Old 04-17-2009 | 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

law enforcement?
california highway patrol make $70k+ starting out with just a college degree...
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gingles you seem like a smart dude man. I have told you all the jobs I was considering taking to start a career with but last minute I got my SHIIIT together and went through with my boring college classes. I seriously am glad that I have not dropped college for a high paying job right off the bat. What were you going to school for ? maybe you need to find a career path that is worth it and fun for you. My automotive class kicks ___ even though I am not in the program yet, but I am taking all my pre recs for right now with all the students that will be starting the class in the fall. I on the other hand am trying to move out of here and go to school in Arizona at UTI. Just finished my paperwork actually. I am six months from my aas in welding and I am only 20. I can go to a job site and get a job anywere around here but that means no school. I hate school with a passion man I really do. I cant stand it sometimes just because I feel like I have to jump through all these hoops and the tunnel doesnt seem to have light at the end of it. Just thnk bout how rewarding it will be when you finish school. More money and in today's society the economy is in a ____ hole might as well go to school since their is no jobs so you will be ready when it picks back up again.
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
Sales. Let me be clearer....PROFFESIONAL sales. Not whimsical sales "jobs". If you are disciplined and most of all are ethical there are arenas in sales that are VERY rewarding and respected. I took 2 classes in college and decided I just am not the "school" type. I actually didn't even graduate high school. Hated that so much got my GED and went on with life.

Here is what I can tell you. A degree honestly means nothing anymore unless you are seeking a specialized degree. For example, medical, law, dietetics etc. The reason employers say a degree is required is simply to show that you are dedicated to finishing what you start.

Anywy back to the point. Fact is learn sales as a respected trade and you will in most cases surpass what your counterparts are making and you will be working less hours and not have the debt that student loans bring with no promise of any big payday at the end.

Best wishes to you!

This is true.....this why I'm a saleman...but I have degree....Andrew what do you sell.
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am in the Optical industry. I work with Optometrists. What about you?
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Prostitution
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
law enforcement?
california highway patrol make $70k+ starting out with just a college degree...
Law enforcement is very respectable

I've got a pal who didn't go to college, went into the military, and plans to become an officer. I've got a lot of respect for police officers
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
I am in the Optical industry. I work with Optometrists. What about you?

I work at Wells Fargo. I'm a loan officer...but I'm looking to switch to being an underwriter.

Quick Reply: What is there to do without a college education?