Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

What is there to do without a college education?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009 | 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pharmacy tech! easy stuff plus jobs r always going to be there hella old people and some ones always sick! and no degree needed.
a normal tech starts at about 14/hr IV TECHS make about 19/hr thats starting all u need is to stop by a book store get the book and read it take a test and bam certified!
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Default Re: What is there to do without a college education?

Originally Posted by gingles
I hate college....and im no good at it...no dedication....i was wondering what opportunities there were for someone without a degree in these times
You don't have to be good at it. Finish your f'in degree, you're there already so you might as well finish. What are you there for? I might be able to give you some guidance. In these economic times ride that education out and put yourself in a prime position for when it recovers.
Old 04-17-2009 | 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1_kLEan_tC
Originally Posted by Andrew1782
I am in the Optical industry. I work with Optometrists. What about you?

I work at Wells Fargo. I'm a loan officer...but I'm looking to switch to being an underwriter.
Ha...no way. I'm a licensed banker at wells too....in eagle rock. CA. Now I gotta look you up haha.

But seriously sales can do a lot. I make more than any of my friends. They just paid for me to get my investment licenses. And there's A LOT of room for advancement.
Old 04-17-2009 | 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedy000
pharmacy tech! easy stuff plus jobs r always going to be there hella old people and some ones always sick! and no degree needed.
a normal tech starts at about 14/hr IV TECHS make about 19/hr thats starting all u need is to stop by a book store get the book and read it take a test and bam certified!
You should tell me more about this.... which book?
Old 04-17-2009 | 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: What is there to do without a college education?

Originally Posted by ecko04
Originally Posted by gingles
I hate college....and im no good at it...no dedication....i was wondering what opportunities there were for someone without a degree in these times
You don't have to be good at it. Finish your f'in degree, you're there already so you might as well finish. What are you there for? I might be able to give you some guidance. In these economic times ride that education out and put yourself in a prime position for when it recovers.
hell you might as well stick it out now... especially now that they are talking about forgiving student loans as a way to stimulate the economy...

i know I'm hoping for it..
Old 04-17-2009 | 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a few people on here who mentioned professional sales. Let me be crystal clear on this....most serious sales jobs today require a college degree. Anyone who tells you that a degree doesn't mean much doesn't know what they are talking about. It's true that you may never use your degree in the field of study you chose, but NOT having a degree will automatically eliminate you from several job opportunities. Most companies today will use a degree as a "weeding out" process to narrow down the list of applicants. Is it possible to get a good job without a degree? Absolutely. But it is becoming more and more rare. And even if you get lucky and land a really sweet gig somewhere without a degree, if you ever loose that job and end up back in the job market you will wish you had your degree.
Old 04-18-2009 | 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly recommend getting a degree, even an AS degree, as some applications will consider that plus time worked equivalent to a bachelors.

If you can afford college, and don't go, and there isn't a better reason than 'I don't want to', you're doing yourself a disfavor. Statistics prove a college grad is more likely to make more cabbage than a high school only grad.
Old 04-18-2009 | 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Move to Arizona, go to UTI, get an associates in only 1 year..all without needing to take bull____ classes that have absolutely zero purpose in the real world.

That's what I did anyway, and now I'm working as an Engineer for Tyco Telecom, although I think I'm going to go back to school for my Bachelor's degree.

But if you're already going, just pull through and finish. Whether you finish with a 4.0 GPA or a 1.0 GPA, that degree will hold the same exact value when it's on your resume.
Old 04-18-2009 | 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im a pharmacy technician
so i could sign my name Andew Hatch PHT lol

but thats silly, u have to take a class and take a test wallgreens will pay u 15 bucks an hr or so. i work at a local pharmacy make 13.50 so its not bad. im also only 19 and going through college...
Old 04-18-2009 | 12:03 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

enlist in the armed forces. if u get an AA degree, u can even recieve a college bonus.
Old 04-18-2009 | 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dannygenio
I SAY GO TO THE ARMY
If you are 20 with 6 months pior to your 21 bday you can become a police officer/sherriff/state trooper its a fun job with great pay as well as benfits that is what I am doing now. I only have my GED
Old 04-18-2009 | 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

What about seeing if your local Toyota/Scion dealership has any spots for salespeople? Most Scion owners on the forums tend to know a lot about Scions (possibly some other cars too) which might help translate into being able to help sell your favorite car! Plus, you could eventually get discounts on parts and stuff, and maybe one of the first to see the iQ in person.

Anyone have any idea what the pay is like for a Scion Champion?
Old 04-18-2009 | 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Finish college. Get a degree. If the subjects you're interested in now are too boring, look around and find something you think might interest you. Do not just bail on college. Especially if you've already gotten the opportunity to go. The reasons it's boring is that you're not interested in the subject. Find something that interests you. Usually, in college, you'll have to also take some filler classes for the sake of credits, but those you just have to suffer through. If you're one of those "learn by doing" people, look for the classes with the labs. Or any class that offers credit for working in the industry you're interested in.

If your tolerance for boredom is so low that a 2-3 hour class puts you to sleep, you're not going to do well at the jobs you can get without a college degree - service, vocational, techs, military, etc.

Ideally, you should find something you love to do or at least enjoy doing. Leaving college and not having a degree eliminates a LOT of options for you. I know its all about the accrediation but a lot of employers don't consider you at all if there's no degree.

I don't know how important money is to you but a college degree over a lifetime accrues to about $1-2 million more than a lifetime of jobs without a a degree - depending on degree, region, industry, etc.
Old 04-18-2009 | 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
Finish college. Get a degree. If the subjects you're interested in now are too boring, look around and find something you think might interest you. Do not just bail on college. Especially if you've already gotten the opportunity to go. The reasons it's boring is that you're not interested in the subject. Find something that interests you. Usually, in college, you'll have to also take some filler classes for the sake of credits, but those you just have to suffer through. If you're one of those "learn by doing" people, look for the classes with the labs. Or any class that offers credit for working in the industry you're interested in.

If your tolerance for boredom is so low that a 2-3 hour class puts you to sleep, you're not going to do well at the jobs you can get without a college degree - service, vocational, techs, military, etc.

Ideally, you should find something you love to do or at least enjoy doing. Leaving college and not having a degree eliminates a LOT of options for you. I know its all about the accrediation but a lot of employers don't consider you at all if there's no degree.

I don't know how important money is to you but a college degree over a lifetime accrues to about $1-2 million more than a lifetime of jobs without a a degree - depending on degree, region, industry, etc.
Just FYI but there has been alot of controversy in regards to that 1-2 million dollar figure. In fact there have been a few universities that had to stop qouting that info due to the lack of facts to back it up. Also, there are many people with degrees making $8 an hour. What it comes down to is networking....it's not what you know it's who you know!
Old 04-19-2009 | 04:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
it's not what you know it's who you know!
the most truthful thing so far ive read in this thread

thank god i graduate in december!