Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Whatever happened to Toyota MR2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nice mr2 there Flint!

mod list?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flintMicaTC

just a few pics to drool over lol
:drool:

lol that is awesome, not a fan of convertible, i'd buy the hardtop add-on but man that is a nice looking car

i do have to agree with whoever said that the corolla engine in the mr2 was a bad idea, but that is the only point i agree on. i think it looks amazing but he's right they should've given it the gts engine or something.

and for the record:

MR2 > S2000/Miata/BMW(whichever one looks miata-ish)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drax hit it on the head. The last-gen MR2 was essentially a big, rolling fail. They changed it from being a decent sports car to a girl's cruiser.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Mr2 is not > S2000 or Miata. The MR2 was under powered and over priced. They were 23-26,000 new, back in 2001-2005. They died off because you could get better performance out of a Miata for less money, or you could get even better performance for a little more money with the S2000.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Mr2 is not > S2000 or Miata. The MR2 was under powered and over priced. They were 23-26,000 new, back in 2001-2005. They died off because you could get better performance out of a Miata for less money, or you could get even better performance for a little more money with the S2000.
+1

The MR2 got updated, sure, but for all intents and purposes, it got axed.

Toyota hasn't made a true sports car since the death of the supra. Since that time, they've become the world's #1 automaker in terms of sales, quality, etc.

Companies generally lose money on sports cars, as sales usually do not cover R&D costs and whatnot. Toyota has absolutely zero incentive to create a new sports car. Thankfully, we've all seen the spy photos, so they might be reversing the trend.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not everything is about power or price, the tC costs more than a lot of cars that some would consider "better" for one reason or another. You can get a V6 Ford Fusion or a Mustang for the same price as an automatic tC both of which can outrun a stock but the interior of a tC is waaaaay better than most vehicles in its price range.

but my point is that, in my opinion the newest MR2 looks sexy inside & out (though i prefer hardtop) and got respectable acceleration&speed from its admittedly, relatively small engine.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah but try coming along a hartop for a spyder now in days, if you do it'll be costly (2k or so) so yeah I'd love one for my spyder but next to impossible to find for cheap.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha yea your right, i looked around (briefly) and most were Carbon fiber ($2500-3000) but the one normal hardtop was $2000 :-\
Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha trust me i've been looking for years now. i actually found a silver hard top about a year ago, just didnt have the funds for it, i bought me some wheels instead... bummer...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bummer indeed, have you tried (and you prolly have so forgive my deaf ears (er... eyes?)) going to a Toyota Dealer and trying to get them to order it for you? surely they have one lying around SOMEWHERE
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

companies don't lose money on sports cars, if they did, they'd never build them in the first place, look at bmw, mercedes benz, porsche, lambohrghini, ferrari, audi, etc.

but the problem is that a truely dedicated sports car is an expensive commodity, and the trend nowadays is toward sporty cars with four seats and a decent trunk and decent gas mileage, hatchbacks and such. cars like the subaru legacy, pontiac g8, chevy malibu ss, toyota camrys with 270 bhp v6 engines and turbocharged subaru's and audi's etc.

sports cars aren't dying, they are just slowing getting more functional.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
companies don't lose money on sports cars, if they did, they'd never build them in the first place, look at bmw, mercedes benz, porsche, lambohrghini, ferrari, audi, etc.

but the problem is that a truely dedicated sports car is an expensive commodity, and the trend nowadays is toward sporty cars with four seats and a decent trunk and decent gas mileage, hatchbacks and such. cars like the subaru legacy, pontiac g8, chevy malibu ss, toyota camrys with 270 bhp v6 engines and turbocharged subaru's and audi's etc.

sports cars aren't dying, they are just slowing getting more functional.
your last sentence describes the evolution of the economy car

and the reason companies like Ferrari or Audi do not lose money on their cars is because they overcharge big time. sure the R&D is pricey at first but after they sell a few there is a big turnaround *coughs* Ferrari $300,000 car *cough*
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my point was this, look at the cars you can buy these days, a toyota camry nissan altima and honda accord with v6 engines producing over 260 bhp. or a subaru legacy 2.5 GT. 5 door sedan or wagon with a 250 bhp turbocharged engine and awd. these are the best selling economy cars on the market, but they can hit 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and they handle very nicely.

trust me, driving my mom's 2005 subaru legacy 2.5 gt limited today, the classification "economy car" does not enter my mind. the car will just fly up to cruising speed and it turns on a dime.

a car doesn't have to be completely useless in day to day use to be a sporty car.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i headlights look so bad
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Companies generally lose money on sports cars, as sales usually do not cover R&D costs and whatnot.
I hope that's not true with all the testing GM is putting into the new Camaro. I'd hate to see what they ask for if that fails.

I was just talking to a guy who runs a 2nd gen MR2 at VIR today. He actually recommended a Miata (said they were the best thing since the RX7) for a cheap track car. He also had nothing but praise for his MR2.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i used to have a 91 MR2 Turbo with the T-Tops before i got my tC. i loved that thing! working on it was a bish with the cramped engine bay. i wish they would bring back the second gen. but at the same time reading on the mr2 forums there are to many non experienced drivers buying them and wrecking them. and the 3rd gen is just a waste of car. the second gen is where its at though
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ yea i dont know how anyone mods that engine at all, my uncle showed me his engine and i was like wtf? how did they even get the engine in there...
Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hell just trying to tighten the belts i had to go back and forth from the top of the car to the bottom of the car. huge pain in the neck. lol
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow i have not the patience for that lol. supposedly it took him a couple days just to install a turbo kit... :-\
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as people totalling mr2's, yeah, their handling compared to conventional cars probably catches them off guard and they're done.

Quick Reply: Whatever happened to Toyota MR2?