Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Where Have All The Lifers Gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Where Have All The Lifers Gone

Soooooooooo either the upgrade to the new format led to a mass desertion of the forums, or the upgrade to a new line of vehicles led to a mass desertion of the brand.

Either way, somebody needs to re-examine their definition of the word "upgrade."

Anyway, I realize this is a huge faux pas, but I'm guessing the hordes of people who used to hang around here haven't just abandoned the internet. They're SOMEWHERE, still talking about Scions. My question for the group is: where they at, foo?!

Over a few short years, ScionLifers have bailed me out of a coolant disaster, acted as surgical nurses in a radio transplant from a 2007 Yaris, allowed me to show my steelies openly and with pride as a member of Team Trim Ring, and given me the amazing gift of LEDs in my grab handles. Where goest this forum's travellers; so goeth I. So what internet space are we populating at the moment?

This is not trolling and not flamebait - I could check every other Scion forum in existence, but as this is (was) the most helpful group of people I've ever seen on the Internet, I've always gotten the best answer by simply asking.

After searching, of course. ;)

So where is hoppin' these days?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually haven't been on this site in months. Just popped on today to post up in the hotwheels/matchbox thread. The "upgrade" is what finally killed it for me. Seemed like it was taking forever for things to get fixed around here. Also, for me the site has been running slow ever since the "updrade".

Usually just post up on clubxb nowadays. See a lot of familiar screen names over there.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i've noticed the same thing, you'll see threads go 3 or 4 days without a post. Still pop in a few times a day, but end up spending more time each day on Club XB just cause there is so much new to read through every day. I'd love to see people more active on here again.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking a lot of people have just moved on. Sure there have been people dropping off b/c of the "upgrade" ... but probably not as many as you'd think. I would guess more have left over time b/c they don't have their Scions anymore.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

ive noticed this also...it seems there are about 20 people that are staying loyal to the site. i havent even seen Gothbox post in a while and Will lived on this site like the rest of us.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I used to post alot more before the upgrade, I just really can't get used to it. I loved the old site.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It's quite sad. Some have moved on in their vehicular life, but I KNOW the changeover alienated a ton of people. Hell... I still don't like the new version. But yea, some people hate it and they left.

What are you gonna do. I think there are a lot of ****** at ClubxB, so I try to not go over there very often... not naming names, but it sometimes feels like the tC section over there...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For me it is/was the upgrade lots of things still don't work and since last year when the site was hacked major I still do not get notifications of posts and messages to my email even though I have reset my preferences many times. It worked briefly and I mean briefly the day of transition before the upgrade was finished. I thought it was heading in the right direction but the next morning back to disappointment. I really like the site if the stuff would just work right.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

we are working on it but yeah people have gotten fed up and left.....I still do not like the other sites as much
Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Yeah I have talked to a few scionlifers in washington. This new website just doesnt sit right. I liked the old one better and the format. Since the upgrade, I think it killed the website. There isnt the following it used to have. Something needs to be done or this site will eventually fail.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The new site has had some problems lately, but overall it is still the same site. Activity does appear to down a little, but ScionLife is the place most scion peps come to first for info and advice. Money is very tight for everyone right now and people just aint making mods to thier rides like they used to and that type of activity on all sites is way down. I am a member of Scikotics and also visit ClubXB alot but always come here first to check on meets and shows info. Don't give up on ScionLife, it's were most all scion members and clubs got thier start at. If you want to get some web site activity rolling, start any interesting thread and get peps blood flowing like Don (redneckwithanXB) does. I will come here sometimes just to see what Don has going on.

Keep the faith.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't think it's the upgrade or the site. I think we're shrinking a bit right now as a Scion community, independant of websites visited. If you track SL web visits with Scion sales numbers, I bet the correlation would be pretty strong, and right now sales are down. Basically, some old members are leaving due to personal preference or not having a Scion (moving on / up, accident and need something cheap, etc.) and not as many new people are getting Scions.

I think if the economy picks up and the iQ comes out you'll see an upswing again. The other reason could be that when SL came out, there weren't many technical resources for Scion owners. There's a lot mor info out now on the web, so there may not be the demand for things like parts reviews, the microfiche tool, etc.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

most of the technical stuff was here first and some was pirated for other sites.....
Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alot of people moved on. You know, the Genesis coupe is out and that is the hot button that everyone lives to hate. but alot of forums died off a bit. the Scion scene has died off. it went stagnant. they made cars for the general population and that killed the scene. enthusiastes didn't buy into the new look so much. I see many fixed up Scions, but these poeple don't care about the Scion community like us on here do.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think its a bunch of these mentioned things all adding up to the lack of people around, plus.....

The line up of Scions is lame. Sorry if I offend, but their cars are no different then anything else out there. The iQ can't arrive a second too early. And if its priced too high they won't pull back.

Tons of great people with great Scions have left the scene. I think the main reason is Scion caters to much to the young crowd and forgets its OG's & long time owners that have been rep'n the brand. Clubs & forums do the same thing.

I think the site was a great move just a little too late and bad timing. But the big thing is newbie's come in and don't know or care who the long timers are, and topics start repeating and next thing you know you start to raise questions like this.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
It's quite sad. Some have moved on in their vehicular life, but I KNOW the changeover alienated a ton of people. Hell... I still don't like the new version. But yea, some people hate it and they left.

What are you gonna do. I think there are a lot of ****** at ClubxB, so I try to not go over there very often... not naming names, but it sometimes feels like the tC section over there...
alot of those are on that xA/ist site too thats why i left that place all together
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm still here going on 4 years now. Idk, I don't like the new setup either
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Been here for close to 6 years, and signed up after I got my second xB. but it is becoming more and more of a hassle lately, and the community is no longer here, rob is right, the community just forgets the OGs and focuses so much on the new owners, and with the idiots in charge here it isnt helping. so this is why it is for sale and will be on ebay before the end of the year
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Don I understand the frustration. I have been here for over 5 years
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don if you sell please link the Carfax, would be quite a read.

Quick Reply: Where Have All The Lifers Gone