Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Where Have All The Lifers Gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You understand it... but the problem is, very few here seem to care that long time subscribers are upset
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Don if you sell please link the Carfax, would be quite a read.
There was only 1 accident that would have been reported, when I had to replace the rear quarter panel.

The engine (plus the rebuild), trans, CV's, and everything else on the car was replaced on my own accord by my own hands...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still here, and not going anywhere!
I love SL, come on here every day, and I plan to keep coming here for relevant info!!!

Lately it seems that there havent been any relevant topics being posted up. We have seen some intense turbo builds, some bosozoku flair, countless "will this fit" threads, wheel and tire showdowns, the list goes on and on, and i'm sure that the remaining members and newbs are grateful for every post!

We've made a lot of great friends, learned a lot of things, and best of all we have created a community here, and i hope that for all our sakes, we keep it up, and dont turn tail because the look of the site takes a "little getting used to".

I'm sure i'll buy a new car one day, but i have no plans to get rid of my gen 1, and i'll still be using SL as a resource as long as i have it, or until i can't turn a wrench..

Thanks to all who have made SL such a great community over the years!!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm afraid that I agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread.

Here's my take on why ScionLife.com seems to have lost some of the strong community feel, and some of the OGs are no longer as active.

First, the change in software here at ScionLife.com: We HAD to change, we had no choice. There were a number of reasons for that, but it started with the new owners not understanding the old software, and making changes to it that screwed it up to such an extent that there was an actual worry that it could be kept on-line long enough to make the move to the new software. It was that bad.

We were promised that nothing on the old ScionLife.com would be lost in the move, but there was such a rush to make the move that not everything was saved in a useful manner. It may be here, but it may not be usable.

There were also things that did not work at cutover and still do not work. Many of those things were what made ScionLife.com unique, and that people had poured many, many manhours into. The registry, the tech section, club memberships, the galleries, the great content in user profiles (personal info, car info, pictures, all in one place) just were not carried over to the new format, and they still don't work right even when they are found. They are here, really, just no longer useful.

Those people who spent so much time working with those great features became rather disenchanted when what they had worked so long and hard on were essentially discarded. It is understandable they post less, if at all.

Then there were some disastrous errors made by the new owners when they deleted a bunch of OG user IDs, and orphaned the tens of thousands of posts they had made to being made by "Guest." Some of those folks had been here on ScionLife since the very beginning, since 2003, and helped build not only this site, but the clubs and community that made us one big happy family. Honestly, if they deleted my ID here and tossed my posts to the winds with no chance to ever recover them, I'd walk, too.

There are also the problems with the new layout of the site, and things that people used every time they logged on no longer being easy to find or use. Even I still have a problem trying to find things here, and when I do find some of them, they don't work as expected. People are naturally averse to change, but when the change also negatively affects what they are able to do, it is even worse. They become frustrated and pull back.

Lastly, Scion, the automotive and aftermarket industries, and the entire economy are in trouble and not doing well. That causes a lot of folks to tighten belts, to be less adventuresome, to not be as open and free-wheeling. They are spending more time in survival mode, or very near to it, and are less inclined to come out and play.

Most of the things above can be fixed or worked around, and those of us who are hanging in here and trying to hold the community together "through thick and thin" need to work even harder to make sure it DOES stay together and stays healthy.

I believe the most important thing is we need to stay connected with our Scion family. We need to share and take care of each other as much as we can.

We also need to work on fixing what is broken. I'm doing what I can to keep whipping the folks who are responsible for fixing everything on ScionLife.con that doesn't work right, but I need your help, too. If you see something that isn't right, let me know - I may not have noticed it because I don't use everything and can't see everything.

Everything I can clearly identify as a problem I do what *I* can to fix, and if I cannot I make an official, documented, detailed report to the folks who are responsible for the repairs. The majority of them have been fixed, or at least made better, others they are still working on. There IS a tracking system visible to both them and I, and I keep pushing. It's a long road.

If you see a problem with something on Scionlife.com, post it in the Website Discussion Forum. If you see a problem post, Flag it for us so we can take care of it. If it is something else that you don't want to say in public, click the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page and tell us privately.

We really are trying, but we need your help. You in?

Tom

Last edited by Tomas; 11-18-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Danny, I'm going to move this to the Off-Topic Cafe, not only for better visibility to the majority of ScionLife.com members, but because it really is about more than just xB Classics and the folks who drive them.

Tom
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

Wow. I just thought it was me.

I have trouble finding even my old posts and just thought I was suffering from dyslexia.

I noticed they had me down as a Senior Member and I thought that was pretty cool.

I have noticed the threads just don't move as fast anymore.

I only have 17K on my xB so I am always hunting for new ideas.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Don if you sell please link the Carfax, would be quite a read.
might be a book.....
Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well one thing that could be done to gain interest is updating the scion feature gallery. I observed this site in 2007 and one thing that has never been updated was the feature gallery.

Last edited by Domo; 11-19-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i just got here ............whats going on ?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I figure that I could be the only one left and I would still post stuff for my own personal amusement. I would be king of SL, ruler of none.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
I used to post alot more before the upgrade, I just really can't get used to it. I loved the old site.
I feel the same way ^^^
I liked the old site much better than the new one. And the overall vibe of the site has changed a lot from when I first joined 4 years ago when I got my first Scion. A lot of my friends like me that are in the OG club status.... still have our Scions...but have for a large part moved on. This last week or so has been the first time Ive been on the site since early August shortly after the "makeover".
I've stated that I dont care for the new look....but it's really the overall atmosphere of the site that seems to have changed the most for me.
It used to be a place where there was a lot of informative posts/threads... and only a few bad eggs... Now most of that is gone...and everywhere I look I see "he said she said" threads where everyone is bashing and b1tch1ng at each other. Most of the OG's have left because they dont want any part of it... me included.
Thats just my 2 cents on the deal.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I want to add more thoughts to what Tomas said,we have a very good dedicated all volunteer staff here on this site. They all spend tireless hours here on the site fighting through the muck and mire while trying to keep the site running smooth. Tomas as the site admin always has our back, trust me I know because I see it behind the scenes and your other admins and mods really care. Even though the results we get aren't always what we all hoped for.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hate reading this stuff. It is like we are at a funeral. SL was a fantastic community. The only other time I knew this type was with Ford Mustang's (67 Shelby GT500! & 70 302). In comparison, an xB is a toy, but I love mine and have been here since maybe before I got mine in 2004 (05 xb). Everyone here was super helpful, learned tons about this very simple car that turned heads back way back and Toyota no doubt lost their way.

Truthfully, that is where the issue lies, less than in the economy. Instead of buying a new car, a simple add on makes it feel new.

Toyota couldn't have made a worst turn that putting out a car like the latest xB which gets worse gas mileage and hides in the crowd. Changing a message board, sure folks get upset at what they aren't familiar with, but there is no future for the xB, just the past and that is the real problem as well.

Remember thinking about what new Special version they were going to put out? What was it going to have? Would you trade in what you got to get it? etc.

Overall, greatest bunch of car guys, even though it is a toy ride (anyone who has ever had a muscle car would agree). But you all have been great with info, part numbers, car care, etc. Actually considered at showing up once or twice to an xB meet...

Enjoy the fact knowing that there was only 250K xB's made and that number is declining every day.... making what we got that special.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

oldtimer here fo' life. Just not very active. lol
Old 11-25-2009, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Have you traded the SI in yet mike?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
Have you traded the SI in yet mike?

Sold it about 3 months ago. Drive a 40k dollar GMC Sierra now. lol.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

been on here almost 4 years. i thought it was just me. this site has died alot. i still come on once a day but not traffic and thread updates...... *sighs* i miss the good ol' days.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, the bright spot is it can always be rebuilt. I wasn't active until 2006, because that's when I got my Scion, but next year I plan on doing a lot and hopefully putting up a lot of good technical posts.

On my plate for the 1NZ are:
1) Engine assembly with upgraded internals
2) How to remove and replace an engine
3) DIY turbo install
4) Building a fiberglass enclosure

If we start opening up more informative and technical threads, maybe the community will follow again. My biggest issue right now is that if I ask a question in the xB F/I forum, no one is on to give a response, so I have to then brave the tC section.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

im still here. idk why though? boredom i guess
Old 11-26-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member