Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Where to make friends?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Where to make friends?

Having moved to different countries every 3 years while growing up, friendship always meant very little because I always knew they wouldn't last for more than 3 years. With that mentality I have never made "good" friends.

The ones I did make here when coming to the states are either all gone from the US back to their countries, or we don't keep in touch anymore.

The so called friends I have in the scion circle could not care less. When I need them there's always excuses of why they can't help out, and that's not friendship.

So please don't suggest going to scion meets/shows cos i already do.

So where can you make friends? Doing what?

I'm a very open person so I have no problems speaking up or starting conversations.

C.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm this is tricky... especially if you move around all the time.... Ok, I must ask- Are you planning to stay in the area you are at now for, well, more than 3 years?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yup I think so. I had to move before because of my dad's job. But I've been here in the DC area since 02
Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't know what to tell you at this point. Sadly, most of my true friends I made in high school or college. I hang out with people from work but when they move to other positions we then lose touch. I college I did make friends with my roommate's friends (and met my wife from one of my roommate's trying to go out with her) and ended up closer to them then the people I was living with.

I went to College Park and DC is a wierd place, they're so many people you actually end up feeling isolated to a degree. The easy place to start is with people from work, but also check Yahoo and other area clubs for groups you're interested in, like running, rugby or other activities you enjoy.

If you end up having guy friends, don't torture the one guy that wants to be more but won't tell you, I've been there and it sucks. I'd say lets hang out but Bethesda is a hell of a drive from Southern MD.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Don't know what to tell you at this point. Sadly, most of my true friends I made in high school or college. I hang out with people from work but when they move to other positions we then lose touch. I college I did make friends with my roommate's friends (and met my wife from one of my roommate's trying to go out with her) and ended up closer to them then the people I was living with.

I went to College Park and DC is a wierd place, they're so many people you actually end up feeling isolated to a degree. The easy place to start is with people from work, but also check Yahoo and other area clubs for groups you're interested in, like running, rugby or other activities you enjoy.

If you end up having guy friends, don't torture the one guy that wants to be more but won't tell you, I've been there and it sucks. I'd say lets hang out but Bethesda is a hell of a drive from Southern MD.

Oh I gave that guy a chance and he f*ked up big time. There are a few guys who would like to date me but now's not the time, maybe in a few.

I'm done relying on Scion and its people. And the college friends that I did have were mostly from europe or latin america and they have all left since finishing college.

It's hard to make friends at 23 when yr already working. Co-workers are nice but they have their own families. So it's not like i can say lets go drink our worries away lol.

I could go back to my old friends with whom i did silly stuff with but then again i might do silly stuff...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, yeah I was going to say College-- but then again, after really thinking about it, the "friends" I made in college, well, I mean they are more of acquaintences now.... there's always the "Hey we should go get coffee sometime" but then it never happens... yeah, more of those types of "friends"....

and work, well that could be easy/hard depending on where you work- I happen to work with a bunch of people my age, so that helps a lot-- if you work with older people that have families, that could be definitely harder...

As for clubs and stuff on Yahoo, that might help, at least it will get you in touch with people who have the same hobbies-- In all honesty, some of my best friends I have met over the internet and granted, one lives like 2 streets from me, one lives way up north and I've hung out with him maybe 3 times since I've known him (about 5-6 years now), we are still really good friends... But i'm guessing you are looking more for friends that live near you that you can actually hang out with, right???
Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow I am in the same boat as you C, I know exactly how you feel (especially with the Scion friends, mine do the same thing - there's always an "excuse"). Honestly, you should check out the strictly platonic section on craigslist. I met a chick on there once and we emailed back and forth but never really met but that's an idea. Do you work out? I've been meeting some pretty cool chicks at the gym.

Too bad you don't live in Pittsburgh, I think we'd get along great.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by amanda776
Wow I am in the same boat as you C, I know exactly how you feel (especially with the Scion friends, mine do the same thing - there's always an "excuse"). Honestly, you should check out the strictly platonic section on craigslist. I met a chick on there once and we emailed back and forth but never really met but that's an idea. Do you work out? I've been meeting some pretty cool chicks at the gym.

Too bad you don't live in Pittsburgh, I think we'd get along great.
Naw I don't work out but now that i have more free time maybe i should pick that up. but the gym I would go to is the one atmy work place so not really a good spot to make friends. And yeah I think we would get along great
Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by IntegreS_350
Hmm, yeah I was going to say College-- but then again, after really thinking about it, the "friends" I made in college, well, I mean they are more of acquaintences now.... there's always the "Hey we should go get coffee sometime" but then it never happens... yeah, more of those types of "friends"....
precisely, that coffee never takes place

and work, well that could be easy/hard depending on where you work- I happen to work with a bunch of people my age, so that helps a lot-- if you work with older people that have families, that could be definitely harder...
They are in their 30s. The one who is close to my age is already married.

But i'm guessing you are looking more for friends that live near you that you can actually hang out with, right???
yup no more internet friends.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Most of my close friends were people I grew up with and went to school with. Other than those people, I made some friends while I was living in AZ attending school. I guess your best bet would be go back to school .
Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Watching....

I guess I'm doing it wrong too. I realized I mostly have people who what something from me more then I have friends.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

My typing skills need work
Old 02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frosty355
Watching....

I guess I'm doing it wrong too. Only 4 people who are local friends wished me a Happy Birthday. I realized I mostly have people who what something from me more then I have friends.
Yeah i have some of those too-- only around you have something they need, other than that, its like strangers =/

But yeah I think the majority of people I know would be from either school or work,-- some of my friends have met their friends through Church...but I know not everyone goes to church..just a thought though

I always just keep this in mind: I'd rather have 1 or 2 really good friends then 10, 20 or 1000 friends that say "hey we should get coffee or something sometime."
Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ yah but i dont even have those 1 or 2 really good friends
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Most of my close friends were people I grew up with and went to school with. Other than those people, I made some friends while I was living in AZ attending school. I guess your best bet would be go back to school .
i'm actually going to go for my masters in a year or so.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you don't want to be my friend anymore claudia? i'm sorry i don't have alot of time for you, but it is just with school and work and the commute to frostburg, i can't seem hang out with you as much we would like...i'll make it up to you with some penne vodka sauce!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally, i only have one person i consider a true sense in my very strict definition of the word and i've known him for close to 20 years. pretty much the rest of the world falls into the flake category. the majority of people who i trust and talk to about serious stuff are my family. you can't really find a long lasting true friendship in a specific place. it's the person, not their location.

i've met lots of cool people at work. you might not know them forever but if you take the relationship with a grain of salt it can lead to some good times.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll second the craigslist comment - just don't rush into meeting anyone. I've also made 1 good friend off of myspace based on books - turned out to be a pretty cool guy.

What interests do you have besides cars claudia? You seem to be interested in photography from some of your posts. Use your hobbies to meet people with similar interests.

Don't call off the internet - it gives you a good opportunity to get to know someone before you meet.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

photography hadn't thought bout that one.
I'd like to take tai chi classes too. I like languages maybe I could take a course to brush on my german...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
personally, i only have one person i consider a true sense in my very strict definition of the word and i've known him for close to 20 years. pretty much the rest of the world falls into the flake category. the majority of people who i trust and talk to about serious stuff are my family. you can't really find a long lasting true friendship in a specific place. it's the person, not their location.

i've met lots of cool people at work. you might not know them forever but if you take the relationship with a grain of salt it can lead to some good times.
20 years...wow...20 years...? Yr lucky..
I know its about the person but u need to go out in order to find those people
family eh. parents are divorced, dad lives in europe, mom works 2 jobs, twin is absolutely intolerant to emotional problems, older sis is 75 miles from me

Quick Reply: Where to make friends?