Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Who wants some new music? (La La CD trading service)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who wants some new music? (La La CD trading service)

Is anyone else here a member of La La? It's kind of like Netflix, but for used CD's. You get to keep the CD's you get in the mail and you have to send out CD's from your own collection in Netflix-like envelopes. It's basically a huge organized CD trading network. You make a list of the CD's you own and a list of CD's you want. The more you ship the more you recieve. Each disc you recieve costs you $1.50. There is no monthly fee but you are charged on a monthly basis according to how many CD's you receive. If you don't recieve any, no charge for that month. I've recieved 57 CD's over the past three months and shipped out a total of 64. Only one has been scratched to the point of skipping. If you get a damaged CD you let them know and they wont charge you for the transaction, then they will have someone send you another asap. If you're interested in unloading the old CD's you don't listen to anymore for new ones let me know. It's not going public until July so you have to be invited. I have 10 invites left if anyone is seriously interested.

I get a t-shirt for every one of you that signs up and makes a successful trade, so please don't ask if you're not going to become an active member!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok seriously do you all just....

a: Not like music

b: Have so much money you can afford to buy every CD for $15.00

c: Have no money and acquire music illegally

d: Enjoy buying DRM crippled songs from iTunes, Napster, etc.

If you are looking for some kind of proof that this service is legit check them out on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060607/...usic_lala_dc_1
Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont like spending money knowing that theres gonna be at least 2-3 songs if most I'll like on a cd with 18 songs. But thats just me, and btw DRM songs from Napster, etc can be defeated with a nice app called TuneBite.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eujin
I dont like spending money knowing that theres gonna be at least 2-3 songs if most I'll like on a cd with 18 songs. But thats just me...
You see thats the beauty of it. You get the entire disc for $1.50. Thats less than the price of 2-3 songs on iTunes.

Originally Posted by eujin
and btw DRM songs from Napster, etc can be defeated with a nice app called TuneBite.
Transcoding already-compressed music is only good practice if you like decreasing the quality of the sound even futher.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I haven't bought a CD in over 5 years, I D/L the songs i like and thats it. No need for the CD with 18 songs on it that I probably will not like.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

hahahaaha...i am interested. I have old cd's such as lil bow wow, will smith-willenium, men in black...etc. I'd love to get rid of those cds and get some newer ones floating in. I'll keep that cd for like 10 minutes cause i'd just burn it to my external hard drive and send it back! 18 songs for $1.50...solid.

Are there newer releases out there too? Do they have a list of all available cds? I'm interested.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 AM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RoswellScion
hahahaaha...i am interested. I have old cd's such as lil bow wow, will smith-willenium, men in black...etc. I'd love to get rid of those cds and get some newer ones floating in. I'll keep that cd for like 10 minutes cause i'd just burn it to my external hard drive and send it back! 18 songs for $1.50...solid.
Someone has successfully grasped the concept. PM sent.

Originally Posted by RoswellScion
Are there newer releases out there too? Do they have a list of all available cds? I'm interested.
The selection is limited to whatever everyone else has (and is willing to trade). It's estimated that there are at least 100,000 members right now and it's growing rapidly everyday. The newest and most sought after CD's you will have to wait longer for, basic supply and demand. For example, if you put Green Day's "Dookie" or U2's "Joshua Tree" on your "want" list, you will most likely recieve an email telling you someone has agreed to ship you that CD within seconds. Also, the most common CD's like Will Smith and Bow-Wow might be harder to get rid of until the service kicks in full swing. Right now the service is best for older CD's you always wanted but never got around to buying. Not the ones that were released on Tuesday of this week. I have gotten lucky before though. I've also recieved a few discs that when adding them to my want list I said "I doubt anyone has this..." It's worth a try since your first CD is free.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, what do you get for mailing CD's? Free shipping?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:53 AM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by farberio
So, what do you get for mailing CD's? Free shipping?
No, you get pre-paid envelopes to ship your CD's, but you pay .50 cents shipping for each CD you receive on top of the $1.00 fee. Essentially, each trade will cost you $1.50 and a shipment of one of your CD's. This appeals to people like myself who have a ton of CD's that I will never listen to again. However it won't appeal to everyone.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You have a PM
Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck this that. no offense i swear....but imo, it's an interesting concept but about five years too late. who buys cds? can i trade my cds from when people actually bought cds and will i get newer cds in exchange for my old cds?

interesting...a physical old school napster.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
PM Sent
Invitation sent, happy trading!

Originally Posted by surfcity40
good luck this that. no offense i swear....but imo, it's an interesting concept but about five years too late. who buys cds?
The advantages of posessing the actual CD's are an entire other thread in itself. There are millions of us who still buy CD's.

Originally Posted by surfcity40
can i trade my cds from when people actually bought cds and will i get newer cds in exchange for my old cds?
Yes.

La La is going to be huge. If you don't trust some random guy's opinion on the service I will refer you all to these:

Article from Wired Magazine:
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/re...l?tw=rss.index

Here's a review from PC Magazine:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1973392,00.asp
Old 06-11-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So this means for a $1.50 I can send them one of my cd's and they will send me a different cd of my choosing. And then I can quickly make a copy of that cd and then trade it away and repeat the process?
I think the RIAA will find a way to shut this down if this gets popular.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:49 PM
fro
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jessman360
So this means for a $1.50 I can send them one of my cd's and they will send me a different cd of my choosing. And then I can quickly make a copy of that cd and then trade it away and repeat the process?
I think the RIAA will find a way to shut this down if this gets popular.
If they shut down this service they'll have to shut down ebay and every used CD store in the country as well. You can do the exact same thing at both of those places; Just a lot more expensive and time consuming.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i buy cds! I dont like used cds though and I would never be able to sell mine cuz i get about a month of usage out of a cd before its too scratched to listen to anymore

I hate downloading music but will do it every now and then. I probably download only 10 songs a month! :-)
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I did tell my mom about the site though. Not sure if she will use it cuz she has over 500 cds but she likes to keep them.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my cd player likes to eat cd's and won't cough 'em back up