Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Why do people swear by decals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Why do people swear by decals?

I have always heard this question around and wanted to start my own thread. Now I can understand graphics and such, but I don't quite get why show cars are always associated with brand logos all over them. I mean the car has the parts in it reguardless, and the people who can really appreciate a car will be able to recognize the parts with or without the logo. They just seem uneccessary to me, and detract from the true beauty of a car's exterior. Now nothing against show cars with vinyl on them, just my opinion.

Maybe I just need someone to convince me to get a lot of vinyl printed up so that I can start showing more often, who knows.

Just my short little rant.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 AM
SL Member

how it works it taht most of those cars are sponsored by a tuning company, in which turns they end up having to have those stickers on there. it's all marketing. for those that want to put decals on things they bought, that's personal choice.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im sure you have seen a nascar race....those cars have stickers everywhere...why because those companies sponsor that team. Its in the contract we give money you put out name on everything.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

That's all good and all... But then there are those whom are NOT sponsored and are completely littered with stickers... But I guess it goes with the same mentality of having a super huge pointless rear wing on a FWD car, and big stick on non-functioning hood scoops.

It's all about pretending to be LIKE a race car... And even if a car is as fast as real race car (through some sort of voodoo magic), it's still not an official race car. I like to think of cars as a reflection of their owners though...

Sorry if I sound like i'm flaming... Maybe I've just grown old and lost touch. Then again, when I was 4, I thought He-Man was cool. And when I was 18, my car was riced out with stickers. I'm 25 now, and most my peers (including myself) find it to be distasteful. If only I knew how retarded I was when I was 18... But when you are young, you always swear to know what cool is... Cool is saving enough money to get a real car that doesn't need stickers to look cool.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ sponsorship contracts requires most of them to advertise the companies involved..

and some people can't recognize brands on the vehicle quickly... so another way to show what stuff is in the vehicle.

no one really swears by decals... it's more just a contractual or preference thing..

i got decals myself helping to advertise what sponsors i have... it's what you do.. they hook you up.. you gotta help them out... that's what sponsorships entail... you helping to advertise the products.
visually, thru word-of-mouth.... etc...

as far as people doing it just for the hell of it.. well... i won't say anything against them.. but if they choose to help advertise outside a contract or whatever to show off.. then it's their choice....

but remember.... there are right ways... and wrong ways to do something.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Yeah I understand the contracting aspect of it, and I respect and envy those lucky enough to get contracts, but I know that probably around 75% of decals I see on cars are not due to spondsorship. I mean personally I buy the brand name parts that I do for their performance and durability, not just to display their name. I have met people that only like the decals on cars because it gives them a shopping list of parts to steal.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and since nobody has said it...... no, the stickers don't help you go faster. the parts can, but the stickers themselves won't.

and, for the love of pete, if you are just trying to look 'cool' research a company's products before you put their logo on your car. you don't want to advertise someone that strictly builds aftermarket honda parts on your scion or toyota.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
and since nobody has said it...... no, the stickers don't help you go faster. the parts can, but the stickers themselves won't.

and, for the love of pete, if you are just trying to look 'cool' research a company's products before you put their logo on your car. you don't want to advertise someone that strictly builds aftermarket honda parts on your scion or toyota.
man i love my v-tec sticker!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ now THAT.. would be a wrong way to do it...