Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

windows vista

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm by no means knocking your father's work, but Microsoft's OS products have their share of issues. I can sum up an example in two words... Neither of which would ANY Microsoft employee contest...
Millenium
Edition
Now, for more recent examples, I can list a simple comparison of RDP products that I readily use on a daily basis. I have several 2K3 terminal servers that support multiple offices across the US. I also have a Suse machine that supports thinnet clients throughout our local warehouse. I have to babysit the windows-based terminal servers on a regular basis in order to keep my remote office performance at a maximum, many times having to reboot the terminal servers for one reason or another. On the flip side, I haven't had to reboot the Suse machine in MONTHS!!!! This server, as well as its Linux-based counterparts throughout the warehouse (keep in mind, this warehouse is a VERY climate-effected environment!) have little to no need for any intervention whatsoever. The processes that take place on these machines versus the processes on the windows-based servers are virtually identical. They all run a proprietary software that is hosted on another server (Yes, it is a 2K3 server), as well as access to email via multiple flavors of client (our email is hosted by another Suse server, I might add). All of these servers are behind enterprise-class firewalls, including Barracuda Spam/Spyware Firewalls (which are coded entirely on Linux/Spam Assassin, by the way). The constant support is not caused by a lack of protection, nor is it caused by a general lack of knowledge (I've been supporting enterprise networks since you were in early grade school, which I was already doing for major corporations by the time I was your age).
Please don't take any of this info as a personal attack. You stated your opinion based on your factual data. I simply did the same based on my own experiences in the working world.
...and to beat you to the punch... Linux does NOT have an OS that is anywhere near as user-friendly as XP or Vista. Hey, no one's perfect, right?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Woah Woah Woah!! What the hell is all this talk about Windows being far superior to Mac? First off the reason why Windows products like Powerpoint r on Mac is because of that money hungry ahole Gates owns a large percent of Mac. That's y Mac is only limited to itself and you don't see 10 different companies makeing computers for Mac. Second Mac comes loaded with alot of good editing software that u don't get with Windows. Another thing is that Mac is far ahead of Windows. Remember Microsofts cute little Y2K scam? U either had to buy a new PC that was Y2k ready or u had to buy new software that was Y2K capable. Yet the old Mac I use to own for 11 years that was bought in 1991 was already Y2K ready. And at 11years old it held up much better than my old Compaq Prescario thats barely hanging on to life.

With that Mac I only had one problem that required me to reboot it from scratch. With all my Windows products I'm constantly working on some sort of software problem. Weather its because a printer isn't working, or a ethernet connectin isn't working to good. Also with the Mac there are barely any viruses floating around for them, not like with the Windows where I have to run a top antivirus/firewall program in order to be safe, and that in terms slows my computer down. Mac is a supperior OS. Has Windows improved? Yes, my XP is far better than Windows 98, 98SE or 2000 all which I've used. But I'm not coming back to Windows, Gates can kiss my A$$.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

o boy.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will not see 64bit become mainstream for quite sometime. There is little to no software designed for it.

And for all you M$ haters, Apple is not perfect by any means. Steve Jobs made such a stink about getting Safari out to the masses in time for his keynote speech a few weeks ago that not 24 hours after it was released it was already being patched. I know a web browser pales in comparison to an OS, but whenever you're trying to serve the masses as M$ does on a daily basis, you're bound to have some quirks to work out.

Also, while Macs may come with tons of extra software, you're paying for it. Not everyone can afford a $2000 Mac that is loaded with software that many people probably would never use. The average computer user does nothing more then surf the internet, do email, basic photography work, and word processing. Why pay $2000+ for something that is way out of their needs? A $700 PC will suffice 90% of PC users.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Macs... I have friends with them, have used them, enjoy them for certain applications, but in general I have no use for an overpriced attention getter. I'm sorry, Apple is the 'cool' brand now. Hence, the iPod, iPhone, iAnything rage the last 5-7 years.

That said, I still enjoy my laptop with Vista on it and have zero problems.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going to send this thread to my father, and see what he has to say! He is where I get my stubborness from, but he uses much bigger words than me. I will quote him later.

~Stephanie
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm interested in your father's reply.
And since we're on a discussion of the wonderful world of Microsoft, here's a wonderful example of how Microsoft "rewards" those who attempt to expand or broaden horizons using a Microsoft product.
Oh, look. Yet another link...
http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/0...t_mvp_threats/
Please ask your dad to stop by Jason Weber's office and issue a well-deserved backhand to the face in my honor.
Hooray for Jamie Cansdale.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

o god.. look what i created...lol...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by WiCkEd_TrInI
...should have known better!
Starting a thread based on which OS is better, Windows, Mac, or Linux, is bound to become a flame war! It's almost as bad as a debate between evolution and creationism!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

or what toppings go on pizza!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pepperoni!!!

And Linux doesn't even count as an OS......

~Stephanie
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I started this folks. My opinion, I have been on mac for 9 years at work(graphics and printing) and went home to a PC that was running Windows ME. I had TONS of issues with this OS, errors, it crashed ALOT. Finally broke down last week and bought me a new mac book pro. I, meaning my personal opinion prefer mac. It comes with sweet programs that are very user friendly, no .exe or .dll's to mess around with. It's just a common sense machine.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by UV7
Originally Posted by WiCkEd_TrInI
...should have known better!
Starting a thread based on which OS is better, Windows, Mac, or Linux, is bound to become a flame war! It's almost as bad as a debate between evolution and creationism!
if u saw what i wrote all i wanted to kno was what are some common glitches in vista casue i have been having some problems. thats all..lol..
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ___MmmBoxy___
Pepperoni!!!

And Linux doesn't even count as an OS......

~Stephanie
Nice answer! Those grapes sure are sour!!!
In a way, you are correct. Linux is a classification of OS rather than a specific product. There are many different "flavors" of Linux that would specifically classify as an OS product. By specific definition, Linux is not the OS... That would be Suse, Red Hat, Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva, Ubuntu, etc., or whatever specific flavor of Linux the users so choose.
Beyond OS discussion, ask your dad about Microsoft's evasion of ODF. They'd kill technological advancement and progress if it meant a fraction of a cent to them.
If you really want to continue this, I can keep going. There are countless instances of M$ doing anything to keep progress at bay.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, so I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, and my wife has a MacBook Pro laying around. I use all three on a regular basis. Each has its ups and downs, but I have to say I'm most impressed with Vista out of all three. I can't say I'm "fluent," for lack of a better term, with Linux systems yet, but I'm trying. Beyond the Mac's simplicity, I'm disappointed by the lack of control I have over the system.

Oh, and to whoever called Gates a money grabbing ahole or something like that, and seemingly absolved Steve Jobs of a similar claim is absurd.

Steve Jobs wealth: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/...Jobs_HEDB.html

$5.7 billion. Billion. Steve Jobs was not registered on the list of gifts over $10 million last year (pocket change for this man) while Gates is reported to have given $29 billion since the year 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates#Philanthropy). Billion.

I'm not trying to make Steve Jobs out to be a bad guy, really. I like Apple products (yes, I've owned an iPod, we have a MacBook, etc.). I'm just saying don't paint Gates as a money grabbing ***** without spreading the hate love everywhere.

Back on topic. All of the OS's have their strong and weak points. Use them and decide for yourself. I for one like Vista a lot. Meh, to each his own.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DirtyMexican
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
OMG, that was hilarious. POS Vista doesn't even work with a Shredder. HAHAHA, Die Vista Die.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had problems with my vista, but after watching that video on the proper install, everything seems to be working A-ok!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaIUkwPyb...HS-5sK2rYQ3LU=

Funny thing is windows has been copying mac since its conception. Lame.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that MMMBoxy's dad?.......it must be?

V for Vista BABy!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fV1kqthZf2g ambient noise, ha always blaming something else on a faulty product.

Reminds me of this classic clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=MinokchGqbs

Quick Reply: windows vista