Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

windows vista displaying pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

MS office and Adobe CS3 for mac.. the only problem I had so far is running the delorme gps software, its fixed coz i installed bootcamp.. plus im running parallel programs so im actually running xp and osx in my mac
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
Originally Posted by Ace83
pc are nice but when I changed to mac i dont see a reason going back as of yet
Let me ask you Mac users a question: How often do you run into software compatability problems?
I would love to try a Mac, but my wife works from home a good bit and she needs to
use MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint) and Adobe CS3.
The files she creates and works with need to be compatable to other people at other businesses. Is that a problem with a Mac?
The new Macs come with MS office, excel and powerpoint built in, well they come with a trial...I haven't had any software issues, most of the things have a Mac alternative (like AIM, it sucks on a Mac, so I use Adium, which is 1239832138 times better). Mac's are more expensive, I paid 2200 for my 24" iMac w/ upgraded RAM, some software, .Mac, and a 3 yr warranty...but it sure as hell is worth it.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So if you get the Mac versions of Office and Adobe CS3, does that mean that your files can be used by someone who uses the PC versions?

$2400? Wow...that ain't cheap. I just built a nice PC and bought legit copies of Vista and Office for on it. After all my mail-in rebates come back I'm only going to have about $950 invested.
That's for:
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad core processor
4 gigs Corsair RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
500GB hard drive
512MB GeForce 8600 GT Video Card
blah-blah-blah....
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

So if you get the Mac versions of Office and Adobe CS3, does that mean that your files can be used by someone who uses the PC versions?

$2400? Wow...that ain't cheap. I just built a nice PC and bought legit copies of Vista and Office for on it. After all my mail-in rebates come back I'm only going to have about $950 invested.
That's for:
4 gigs Corsair RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
500GB hard drive
blah-blah-blah....
That's pretty much what I built before I got my Mac, but I only paid about 600 for it (didn't need the GFX card since I was using my 7950 GTOC off my prev computer). Then I got a blue screen during the installation of Vista so I said F this, I'm not dealing with problems anymore. The same rules of a car apply to a computer, you can have it fast, cheap or reliable. Pick two.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
That's pretty much what I built before I got my Mac, but I only paid about 600 for it (didn't need the GFX card since I was using my 7950 GTOC off my prev computer). Then I got a blue screen during the installation of Vista so I said F this, I'm not dealing with problems anymore. The same rules of a car apply to a computer, you can have it fast, cheap or reliable. Pick two.
That $950 also includes a nice case and about $230 of that was software.
Maybe I just got lucky, but my pc is running fast and reliable and I didn't pay much. But I still wouldn't mind trying a mac someday.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

That $950 also includes a nice case and about $230 of that was software.
Maybe I just got lucky, but my pc is running fast and reliable and I didn't pay much. But I still wouldn't mind trying a mac someday.
I'm not going to get into a bickering contest and question your knowledge of PC's, you obviously know enough to be building them. But I will say that putting windows and reliable into the same sentence just cannot be done . I also consider any tampering in software/hardware going against reliability (ie. going into msconfig to turn off bootup software, un-installing not needed software, reformatting, disk cleanup...things of that NEED to be done on a PC to keep it running smooth and fast).
Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

and i was surprised with mac when they read raw files without installing any readers or software..
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

That's for:
4 gigs Corsair RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
500GB hard drive
blah-blah-blah....
that's almost identical to the of I built last summer. Too bad my mobo just crapped out. Lucky for me its got a 3 year asus warranty!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Also, you're forgetting about one thing with the price of my Mac. It includes the massive 24" 1920x1200 display that has built in IR, camera and mic . That display alone will run you atleast $600 with the added peripherals. Plus I don't have a giant tower taking up room, making noise and producing heat.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not going to get into a bickering contest and question your knowledge of PC's, you obviously know enough to be building them.
Who's bickering? I'm just having a conversation about computers/Macs. I'm sure there must be something really great about a Mac because everyone I know who has one seems to love it. I would be totally lost on one. I've never even sat down in front of one. I bet if I were to open one up it would look like an alien autopsy to me.
I just know that I have had pretty good luck with PCs and I have not had to deal with crashes or problems like many people talk about. My experience with Vista has been a good one.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm not going to get into a bickering contest and question your knowledge of PC's, you obviously know enough to be building them.
Who's bickering? I'm just having a conversation about computers/Macs. I'm sure there must be something really great about a Mac because everyone I know who has one seems to love it. I would be totally lost on one. I've never even sat down in front of one. I bet if I were to open one up it would look like an alien autopsy to me.
I just know that I have had pretty good luck with PCs and I have not had to deal with crashes or problems like many people talk about. My experience with Vista has been a good one.
These kind of topics usually turn into giant arguements, rather than a simple debate. Fortunately, you're able to continue debating, instead of being a blind, blundering fool . But yeah, I was completely lost when I first started it up, but within minutes I was already familiar with the OS. I still don't know as much about Mac's as I do about PC's (2 months experience vs 10 years..) but within 2 months, I'm comfortably using it on a daily basis without running into new obstacles. The majority of the layout, is VERY similar to windows, it's just how things work is different. Example, when you install programs on a Mac, you just download it and then open the .dmg file. Then it will mount that program on a virtual drive (similar to Daemon tools for windows), then you can either drag the icon inside the drive into your application folder (which is the entire installation procedure) or just run it while it's mounted and never install the files, then eject the mount and be done with that program.

It's the subtle things that make it such an enjoyable experience, I do miss MSPaint tho .
Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These kind of topics usually turn into giant arguements, rather than a simple debate. Fortunately, you're able to continue debating, instead of being a blind, blundering fool . But yeah, I was completely lost when I first started it up, but within minutes I was already familiar with the OS. I still don't know as much about Mac's as I do about PC's (2 months experience vs 10 years..) but within 2 months, I'm comfortably using it on a daily basis without running into new obstacles. The majority of the layout, is VERY similar to windows, it's just how things work is different. Example, when you install programs on a Mac, you just download it and then open the .dmg file. Then it will mount that program on a virtual drive (similar to Daemon tools for windows), then you can either drag the icon inside the drive into your application folder (which is the entire installation procedure) or just run it while it's mounted and never install the files, then eject the mount and be done with that program.

It's the subtle things that make it such an enjoyable experience, I do miss MSPaint tho .
A machine would be a pretty silly thing to argue over, but yeah...I guess it happens.
That sounds cool the way a Mac runs a program! It doesn't surprise me though. I know a ton of people who insist that the iPhone is a piece of junk. Yet everyone I know who has one loves it. I have played around with a few iphones and I think the UI is brilliant. If that's the kind of intuitive engineering I would find in a Mac, I'm sure I would enjoy it too.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

A machine would be a pretty silly thing to argue over, but yeah...I guess it happens.
That sounds cool the way a Mac runs a program! It doesn't surprise me though. I know a ton of people who insist that the iPhone is a piece of junk. Yet everyone I know who has one loves it. I have played around with a few iphones and I think the UI is brilliant. If that's the kind of intuitive engineering I would find in a Mac, I'm sure I would enjoy it too.
The iPhone is the most advanced piece of mobile technology on the market right now, bar none. The only problem with it, is that the internet browsing is slow since it uses an older network. It was a move that doesn't seem very...Appleish, considering it was only done to allow Apple the ability to upgrade the network for the iPhone2. Other than that, it's amazing. I was going to get one, but I get a 19% discount for Verizon through my job, so I got the Voyager.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to get one, but I get a 19% discount for Verizon through my job, so I got the Voyager.
That's funny...I was a (happy) Verizon customer for many years but I recently switched to Cingular/AT&T because I get a big discount with them through my work. I don't have an iphone though. As much as I like 'em, I just can't justify the cost. My needs are met just fine with a basic Bluetooth phone.