Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Working out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Working out.

Well I wasn't too sure where to look this stuff up so i figured somone on SL must work out. Anyway. I was always a lazy bum in HS, never did any sports, however i wasn't fat. That was mostly to the fact that I never really ate, literly, i'd eat one meal a day on an average day, yes that does mean at times i wouldn't eat an entire day. And although i knew it wasn't good for my health... it saved me money and helped me mod the tc. Anyway, I'm in College now and we got a gym here so I figured, what the hell, why not take advantage of it right? So now my question is. How should I work out? Like for the past few days i would run on the treadmill for like 10 min. work on like 3 different muscles for a couple min where id go on one machine, do 15 reps on a setting that wasn't impossible but difficult, then move on to the next and keep rotating. Then on the final round I'd work each machine until I couldn't do anymore reps, and finally I'd ride the bike for like another 10 min. Over all I usually work out for like 40-50 min, 6 days a week. And then changing muscles everyday. Does this sound good? I'm not trying to get huge or anything but get a little muscle goin.

Also, whats the rule of thumb about what i should eat. I mean I know a kid who eats Hamburgers and all this fattening stuff, yet the kids a freakin tank. And then i also know kids that wouldn't even touch a hamburger but I could knock them out with my thumb. both of the kids i'm thinking of hit the gym.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're on the right track as far as rotating muscle groups. I would keep what your doing such as light reps and slowly build into it if you plan on utilizing free weights. Make sure you have correct technique in every exercise/lift before you move on to the a higher set of weights. Log all of your workouts into a notebook to keep track of your reps/sets, muscle areas, etc. so you aren't over working the same area. You have to mix it up or your body will learn what you're doing and eventually you will peak. There are so many variations of work outs that can easily divide bi's, tri's, back, traps/delts, chest, abs, and legs into a schedule that will keep you balanced. I would recommended you research according to your body-style because everyone reacts different to a certain amount of reps/sets. Working out until you can't do any more reps is not a good habit to develop. You will hurt your recovery time because you will eventually lose track on what reps/sets you're increasing/decreasing to.

Dieting imo is pretty important but it depends on how serious you are in the gym. Tons of water, no soda, beer, etc. Salad. Carbs, proteins, yada yada. 6 small meals a day. If you decide to go an unhealthy route while working out, you will be wasting time, money, and effort.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ahh! Great topic. Here we go. First, let me post my stats so when I talk below you can refer back.

22 year old male
height 5'4
weight 130.

Now, when I was a freshman in college, I was the same height at a mere 110 pounds. Yes, I looked like a 4th grader...haha. Here's what I would suggest for you. Right now you're doing a total of 20min. for cardio split before and after your muscle group workouts. Up that to 15min. before and after for every workout, except on the day you train legs. I also think that 3 muscle groups per workout is too many. do 2 max. Below is my training split:

Sunday - off
Monday - chest
Tuesday - Back
Wed - Legs
Thur - Shoulders
Fri - bi's and tri's
Sat - off

I do very low reps with high weight, 6-10 throughout the set range. Post your height and weight and it'll be easier to tailor a workout to your stats and where you want to get to. General rule of thumb: if you want to gain mass: low reps high weight while eating everything in sight. If you want to get cut: high reps, lower weight and keep your rep range between 10-15 per set. and watch your intake of fats, glycerols, etc. Many people tell me they want to gain muscle and be cut. Keep in mind you CANT do both at the same time. The workouts are totally different.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 6'2'' and about 185 lbs. I'm a pretty big kid as you can tell but I'm not really fat, I got a little stomach but that's about it. I think I'm looking at gaining a little muscle.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
SL Member

good luck
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticac
Many people tell me they want to gain muscle and be cut. Keep in mind you CANT do both at the same time. The workouts are totally different.
Very true. IF you can utilize fast and slow twitch muscle fibers it does 'help' but the body has a hard time with recovery unless your chugging nutrients 24/7. I did this later on and tore a delt, bi, and something in my lower back. Rushing your progress = fail. hah

When I started lifting in 8th grade along with other guys, everyone started with pretty low reps and 70 to 80 percent on a certain lift. I found it easier to begin with mass and tone and regulate between summer and winter. Results might come fast and it will get harder as time progresses. You have to get more creative with a work out if you want to keep seeing results.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
SL Member

I started working out a few months back.

My i follow the same routine every time i work out. I used to do this routine every day, but my body couldn't keep up, so i just do it every other day.

Run on the treadmill for an hour, usually i get about 3.5 miles. Then rest for a few mins. Then do some ab work on a medicine ball, and finish it off working out on a home gym (usually enough weight so i do about 5-10 reps.)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mon- bi's and back and shoulders
tues- tri's and chest
wed- off
thurs- bi's and back and shoulders
fri- tri's and chest and legs
sat- off
sun- off

and do stomach every day you work out
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

jsut have sex a lot and you'll be ripped!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ that worked for a while but unfortunately me and my girlfriend are 1k miles apart now. It's pretty rough if i may say so myself.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

FTF mang!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah. not gonna do that to this one. So far, shes a keeper.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mens health usually have a tear out for weekly workouts. I work at 24 hour fitness and I rotate those so I can keep my workouts interesting.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
^^ that worked for a while but unfortunately me and my girlfriend are 1k miles apart now. It's pretty rough if i may say so myself.
so your right forearm is huge!!!!

What are you trying to accomplish with your workouts??? I usually charge for this but maybe I'll help a fellow german SL tC owner out for free

PM me if you want
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing I do is mountain bike a few days a week (much harder on weekends) and do free weights/crunches about three days a week. It works great for me. But I do eat very cautiously as well.

I never cared for the gym. My wife and I have an active membership through the end of the year but don't ever go. We just stick to this routine. Oh, and the thing about having lots of sex
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Damn Nauticac....130? your small dude...

Originally Posted by TylerC08
Originally Posted by nauticac
Many people tell me they want to gain muscle and be cut. Keep in mind you CANT do both at the same time. The workouts are totally different.
Very true.
NO this is false....in a way. You can gain muscle and be cut at the same time, but the key to do this is pretty much to know what goes in and out of your body. Food intake is probably the most important thing you want to keep track of; thats how most ppl that DO gain muscle are cut. They are very meticulous of when and how much they eat and even log everything they eat so that when they go work out, they burn the exact amount of calories to get like that...not only that, but they dont even do hardcore weight lifting....most of what they do is resistance weight training. Trust me, try this and youll feel and notice the difference.

You should also look into taking protein shakes (Complex Whey protiens) to help you out and get where you want..... And after two months or so you could start taking creatine to bulk you up a lil mor

Im 6'1" and weigh around 170 now compared to when i use to weigh 155 like 6-7 months ago. I go to the gym M-F for aprox 2-2.5 hours in which 25 min consist of cardio on the treadmill..... the other 1.5-2 hours i do resistance weight training. 3-4 reps of 10-15 with a 30 break between reps on each machine....and thats pretty much it...nothing to hard

oh and drink

lotsand lotsand lots of water!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK here are my stats, and some

23 Male
5'7"

Obviously when you first start to begin working out, your body is going to become sore. Once you have, a game plan, continue with it, until you feel its ready to change it up.

I only hit the gym 3 times a week, day after day, working 2 major body parts. And how I determine that is by this theory, "if you push you must pull".

example:
chest= pushing / back = pulling
triceps = pushing / biceps = pulling
quads = pushing / hamstrings = pulling

Now you can mix your workouts depending on how your body reacts. If you feel that your body reacts better to a chest / tricep work out, than follow that. Your body is a science. Everyone has a different objective they are trying to reach, so dont mimick what others are doing, it may be for a wrong reason.

Always keep drinking water, no matter how many times you have to use the restroom. People think I had a bladder infection, because I would use the restroom about every hour or so. No matter how much you crave soda, beer, energy drinks, dont do it.

If you want more advice PM or e-mail.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matixten
Always keep drinking water, no matter how many times you have to use the restroom. People think I had a bladder infection, because I would use the restroom about every hour or so.
Haha...I remember during high school I had to use the bathroom at least 8 times a day.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh, i gotta get on track with working out, and eating better, but working at my restaurant, i tend to eat bad food, but i have been good about drinking lots of water, and no soda, but sadely, i require large amounts of coffee with milk and sugar to function properly.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always thought it was a plus working at a restaurant for dieting purposes. I would just cut up my own lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, eggs, carrots, and grilled chicken then box some of it up for later. The lifter's diet is what killed my wallet and I eventually had to stop working out.

Quick Reply: Working out.