Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Working out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TylerC08
I always thought it was a plus working at a restaurant for dieting purposes. I would just cut up my own lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, eggs, carrots, and grilled chicken then box some of it up for later. The lifter's diet is what killed my wallet and I eventually had to stop working out.
never knew there was a lifters diet
Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup yup between the massive amounts of calories and certain nutrients, it is hard to come by in cheap proportions.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gotten so much advice about diet and excersising, and they all contradict. We've got the Atkins people on one end, the Jenny Craigers, the Weight Watchers, and the calorie counters. Then you add in the weight lifters, cardio freaks, walkers, swimmers, and runners.

In the end, I just took a mismatched approach from all of them. On work days, Monday-Friday, I eat about 6 times, no fast food, 3 of those times will be a fruit, the 1st time is always oatmeal and fruit. Drink only water, and coffee. Weekends are for chilling out, so I just keep whatever I'm eating under 2500 calories for the day. As far as working out, I've given in to the rowing machine. It's the lazy, fun way to work everything I want to work. And depending on the program you choose, it's not lazy at all... or much fun, lol.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

high five to eating once a day!! <333
not to mention i pretty much eat like a vegan because i do not really think about what i am eating.

=]
Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to threadjack (much), but how well of a workout do you think a female can get from doing pole dancing at a class?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by karupin
high five to eating once a day!! <333
not to mention i pretty much eat like a vegan because i do not really think about what i am eating.

=]
really? only once a day?? haha I do the exact opposite-- I eat little things throughout the day- So I guess I never really eat a "Full meal" because I eat such small amounts at a time, I think my stomach has shrunken so even if I try to eat a lot, I can't haha I get full really fast--
That has seemed to work for-- I am only 95lbs
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ughhh so luckyyy.. maybe i should do that. eat leaves throughout the day. haha but i really do not think about eating so this will be hard..

TOTAL thread jack

=]
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Working out.

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
..... So now my question is. How should I work out? Like for the past few days i would run on the treadmill for like 10 min. work on like 3 different muscles for a couple min where id go on one machine, do 15 reps on a setting that wasn't impossible but difficult, then move on to the next and keep rotating. Then on the final round I'd work each machine until I couldn't do anymore reps, and finally I'd ride the bike for like another 10 min. Over all I usually work out for like 40-50 min, 6 days a week. And then changing muscles everyday. Does this sound good? I'm not trying to get huge or anything but get a little muscle goin..
Sounds like you are on the right track, but I would recommend you increase the weight you are lifting so you are unable to do more than 10 reps. If you are doing 15 or more reps, the weight is too light.

http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...aining/archive
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...unning/archive

Those are some links to a few articles - they should help you in creating a program.

How should you workout? Hard, if you want results.

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
..... Also, whats the rule of thumb about what i should eat. I mean I know a kid who eats Hamburgers and all this fattening stuff, yet the kids a freakin tank. And then i also know kids that wouldn't even touch a hamburger but I could knock them out with my thumb. both of the kids i'm thinking of hit the gym.
You should be eating 5-7 times per day. I try to eat every 3 hours. Each time you eat, your meal should be about the size of your fist, unless its all vegetables, then it can be larger.

- Try to drink your body weight (in ounces) daily. (If you weigh 150lbs, drink 150 ozs daily)
- Eat at least five servings of vegetables and 3-5 servings of fruits per day
- Eliminate fried foods and fast food.
- Eliminate processed sugar (for example: sodas, cookies, candy)
- Eliminate fatty red meat - only lean red meats (1-2 times weekly)
- Some good foods: almonds, salmon, cottage cheese, fat free milk, chicken, all leafy green vegetables.

http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...rition/archive

Random thoughts
- Food, cardio and weight training (in that order) are all KEY!
- You only get what you give.
- HIIT is a wonderful form of exercise - try to embrace it.
- The average male adult can easily last 14 - 20 days without food, but only 72 hours without water. Your body is at least 60% water. Strive for your body weight in ounces when it comes to drinking water.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Not to threadjack (much), but how well of a workout do you think a female can get from doing pole dancing at a class?
it's a workout if you actually are pulling yourself up the pole, and spinning fast. IF you only go through it half a$$, then you're better off walking on a treadmill

But you would have to show us a video of you doing the pole dance for me to evaluate it
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really need to start working out again I've gained like 18 pounds in the past 3 yrs, but then again, 3 yrs ago my weight was in the double digits.

Here's a big tip, instead of using sugar, go to Trader Joes & buy Trader Darwins Stevia Extract. It's a diet supplement that replaces sugar; you only need to use 1/3 of a tsp v.s. 1 full teaspoon of sugar. It has 0 calories, too. You can also get it in little packets for "on the go" moments.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
I really need to start working out again I've gained like 18 pounds in the past 3 yrs, but then again, 3 yrs ago my weight was in the double digits.

Here's a big tip, instead of using sugar, go to Trader Joes & buy Trader Darwins Stevia Extract. It's a diet supplement that replaces sugar; you only need to use 1/3 of a tsp v.s. 1 full teaspoon of sugar. It has 0 calories, too. You can also get it in little packets for "on the go" moments.

Well you are looking good in your avatar and profile pics

how about natural sugar??? or not adding sugar???

Less chemicals the better for my diet!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8

Actually, Stevia is not a chemical - it is very natural - just ground up plant root, I believe. Good stuff, I use it in tea and coffee.

http://www.stevia.net/
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

anything with "supplement" I try to stay away from.... Call me weird!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm by no means "fat", but I'm definitely not where I want to be. I use to wear a size 0 in jeans. =/
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm by no means "fat", but I'm definitely not where I want to be. I use to wear a size 0 in jeans. =/
size 0 is way to small. Women are suppose to be curvy
also when I'm 6 foot 218... you don't want to roll over in bed and kill your size 0 wife
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lolznnnn
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticac
Ahh! Great topic. Here we go. First, let me post my stats so when I talk below you can refer back.

22 year old male
height 5'4
weight 130.

Now, when I was a freshman in college, I was the same height at a mere 110 pounds. Yes, I looked like a 4th grader...haha. Here's what I would suggest for you. Right now you're doing a total of 20min. for cardio split before and after your muscle group workouts. Up that to 15min. before and after for every workout, except on the day you train legs. I also think that 3 muscle groups per workout is too many. do 2 max. Below is my training split:

Sunday - off
Monday - chest
Tuesday - Back
Wed - Legs
Thur - Shoulders
Fri - bi's and tri's
Sat - off

I do very low reps with high weight, 6-10 throughout the set range. Post your height and weight and it'll be easier to tailor a workout to your stats and where you want to get to. General rule of thumb: if you want to gain mass: low reps high weight while eating everything in sight. If you want to get cut: high reps, lower weight and keep your rep range between 10-15 per set. and watch your intake of fats, glycerols, etc. Many people tell me they want to gain muscle and be cut. Keep in mind you CANT do both at the same time. The workouts are totally different.

wow i do the exact same rotation on the exact same day, but i am 5'11 160lbs. it works sooo well. on top of it i fence everyday so that is my cardio.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also when I'm 6 foot 218... you don't want to roll over in bed and kill your size 0 wife
Well, I'm only 5' tall with a small frame. =X

According to online BMI calculators I'd need to be 94 pounds to even be considered "underweight". Trust me, I'm far from that. =[
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wear a size 0... The largest size I can wear is 1-- but hey I am 4'9" so I mean....its proportioned and I don't look like I live on one almond a day. lol
Old 08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I'm only 5' tall with a small frame. =X

According to online BMI calculators I'd need to be 94 pounds to even be considered "underweight". Trust me, I'm far from that. =[
BMI is a bunch of outdated Bull crap. I should be 165 pounds which would make me look aneroxic

Quick Reply: Working out.