Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Are you kidding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are you kidding?

rant-

So I work at Group Health which is a Hospital in Seattle, I don't actually work AT the hospital but in one of the over 50 buildings/hospitals we have around WA state I am in charge of security / fire and life safety and while I get a lot of crap for being a "glorified security guard" I am at the point today where I am wondering if ILL be the one that snaps on the way to work.

I drive my tC to work most days and I get a lot of questions about it and have actually influenced 3 other people here to buy scions (woohoo for them) but I am sick and tired of people going through the trouble of looking up my extension or finding me at my desk to ask if I can do simple stupid crap for them like jump their car or show them how to jump a car or if I can change their tire. I had a lady call me a moment ago frantic about her flat tire and wanting me to change it. Fortunately my work sites it as a liability issue and won't allow me to change her tire but I can teach her how without touching anything. This chick flips out yells at me (because she's too freaking stupid to figure out how to change a tire, look lady see those things? unscrew them remove tire one put on tire two and screw them back in). For the love of all things good I'm trying to eat my lunch and am offering to put the fork down and give her a lesson and somehow it becomes MY fault she can't change a tire. Look lady blame your father for not teaching you crap. If this was the first time this happened I might not be so peeved but this is getting to be a regular occurrence.

"hey lady you know about cars... there’s a funny puddle under mine can you fix it?"
"hey lady one of my hoses broke can you fix it?"
"jump my car for me"
and now
"change my freaking tire or feel my wrath"

I sit at a desk and monitor alarms and boss around security guards all day I am NOT a mechanic just because I work on MY car and I like MY car does NOT mean I'm getting up from my desk to help you.

Jeez.

End rant.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, can you change my brakes when you get a chance?

I think people assume any sort of security desk is a general "help me!" kind of place. You should just offer to call AAA or a tow truck or something. Not that that would make them stop coming to you... but ya.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I offered to give her AAAs number too.

The thing that amazes me is that my desk is far back hidden in the realm of cubicle land and they STILL find me. Freaking soul suckers.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish ppl gave tips for asking someone to go "that extra mile" for people.

where's the tip?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

screw the extra mile, no bonus = no extra mile. I did the extra mile for the first few years I wont be tricked again.

my job:

" It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ___ off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now." -office space

OR

"Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements. "

sub out initech for group health.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when they ask any thing about cars, play dumb back at 'em
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

You should be even more helpful and have a HUGE list of tow truck companies those people can call for assistance, lol. Better yet, call all the tow truck places and have them come bring you a bunch of their business cards to hand out.

LOL, you're the Group Health mechanic. No wonder they charge high insurance rates... you can get your car fixed there for free, lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep a mechanic's jumper and a tool box nearby. Have a fake time clock, and inform them that you'll need to first punch out of your security job and punch in at your mechanic's rate of $45.00/hour, minimum 1.5 hours. Then ask if they have cash, because you learned a while back not to take checks from strangers. You could take a credit card tho...to a club, to the restaurant, to the mall.....

Or, have some signs: "How is this my problem again?" or "Lack of planning on your part does not neccessitate an emergency on my part."

(I'd check the proper spelling of the larger words first, tho )
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha perfect