Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

you know you eat too much asian food when...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

does anyone like Pho? <---Vietnamese dish
it's a noodle soup type concoction with strips of filet/meat.
omg it's to die for. had it for the first time in a little place in Maryland and now I'm addicted. pass the plum sauce cuz i need a bowl of that right now.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Pho Shizzle.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oh man, I LOVE pho! We have a really good place right up the street from my house, it is the best!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a great place in gaithersburg i go to on shady grove road called pho-nam, the name says it all! i love those rice noodles!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come to LA. We have authentic Chinese/Asian restaurants complete with waiters that speak no English and menus with no orange chicken! There are restaurants here where if you don't know Chinese, you won't be able to order...

In certain cities with a high Asian population, Boba/Pearl Tea cafes outnumber Starbucks.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

In NY I went to a place like that...my bf had to do EVERYTHING, and thats only cuz he lived there all his life until he joined the Navy. But man, was that some good eatin'!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
theres a great place in gaithersburg i go to on shady grove road called pho-nam, the name says it all! i love those rice noodles!
yeah idk where in maryland we go to get Pho...my BF lives in garnestown/germantown so somewhere not far from there. theres one place in silver sping called: "Pho Real" hehe.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-you memorize the phone numbers to the 3 chinese joints that are closest to your work
-you have them programed to speed dial on your cell

mmm general tso's

On a side note:
The only way for me to order from my favorite place is by callin on my cell phone. It just rings and rings and rings when I call from my work phone because the caller ID reads US Customs Homeland Security...they must have something to hide
Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love Pho.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I find it strange that a chinese place is using a japanese word. Gaijin I believe translates loosely to "white devil."

Korean kimchee is excellent (not sure if this is authentic or one of those americanized dishes). So hot! My friend would rave about it and he took us out to a korean bbq in cali when he was in airforce training. Well i guess they made it weaker here in chitown cuz the second he put it in his mouth his whole face went stopsign red. I was like "oh hell frickin' yeah..." and shoveled it in my mouth. So bloody hot. Fantastic.

Also not sure if its americanized japanese or not, but I made oyako donburi once. That was some good stuff too.

I would like to know of some authentic chinese dishes though...
Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by PAxAgirl
does anyone like Pho? <---Vietnamese dish
it's a noodle soup type concoction with strips of filet/meat.
omg it's to die for. had it for the first time in a little place in Maryland and now I'm addicted. pass the plum sauce cuz i need a bowl of that right now.

Mikey got you hooked, I used to eat that stuff so much I'm done. And for those of you who don't know most Pho contains tripe. . .I'm not going to say for those who are sqeamish.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best Chinese food I ever had was in Toronto, Canada. They have a large Chinese population and a good size "China Town" section. We were wandering around that section just kina sight seeing and we walked into a Chinese restaurant. This place wasn't there for the tourists. It was there for the local Chinese population. Nobody in the place spoke a word of english. Somehow we managed to order a meal (still have no idea what we had) but it was the best I've ever had. It was NOTHING like the americanized "chinese" food you get around here. Don't get me wrong though...I love that stuff too.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Ghost_1

Mikey got you hooked, I used to eat that stuff so much I'm done. And for those of you who don't know most Pho contains tripe. . .I'm not going to say for those who are sqeamish.
yeah he did. we had it once and then i asked to go get it again last weekend when i was down there. i still would be interested in knowing what tripe is....i think i have a clue. Pho is fun to eat too...chopsticks and a spoon and slurping is allowed lol. i like eating with chop sticks even though i'm far from mastering the skill haha somedays i'm on and some days i'm a mess

p.s. i had the worst, i mean worst chinese food for lunch lol....you guys made me hungry for it and i def picked the wrong place this time lol *stomach gurgling in disgust*
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And for those of you who don't know most Pho contains tripe. . .I'm not going to say for those who are sqeamish.
ew... Note to self: Don't eat Pho.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know gaijin is japanese, that is why i said asian food, i tend to eat chinese food once a week, sushi once a month, and and pho only when i am lucky enough to be i neighborhood in need of a good meal. also i have been to a vietnamese retaurant, korean bbq, indian (i say tara thai is indian, but my half indian friend swears that it is not)

also, tara thai has a great entree called go-ong phuket (say it out loud to get the joke).
Old 11-09-2006, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

Signature Visions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
And for those of you who don't know most Pho contains tripe. . .I'm not going to say for those who are sqeamish.
ew... Note to self: Don't eat Pho.

don't let that stop you...not all Pho has tripe in it....not the kind i had. it's delicious...give it a chance.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, who'm I kidding... I'd prolly still eat it anyways. I've eaten a lot of weird crap over the years. (bear, rabbit, shark, turkey *********) I have yet to see a vietnamese restaurant here though. Had indian, korean, japanese (not just sushi), thai, and filipino food before, but not vietnamese yet.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i know gaijin is japanese, that is why i said asian food, i tend to eat chinese food once a week, sushi once a month, and and pho only when i am lucky enough to be i neighborhood in need of a good meal. also i have been to a vietnamese retaurant, korean bbq, indian (i say tara thai is indian, but my half indian friend swears that it is not)

also, tara thai has a great entree called go-ong phuket (say it out loud to get the joke).

Sorry to tell you tara thai is not indian, it's thai. And tara this is overrated. Check out Busara on wisconsin ave in DC near the cathederal, it's east asian but most of the dishes are thai, or Urban Thai in crystal city off 23rd ave I believe. The Curry Club in upper G-town is great but expensive. If you are in Rockville Benjarong for thai food is good also. I eat out a lot. lol
Old 11-09-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, got that mixed up, my friend is half thai, half indian, don't know how i messed that one up. but yeah, she said it is not real thai food, man, sometimes i'm such a screw up. also, i never take my car to dc, i hate that place, can't figure out where to go, then when you do, can't find parking, parking isn't secure and so on.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, I don't go out to eat "REAL" Chinese when I go for it, I like the american style "Chinese" from buffets. BUT, when I want real Asian food, my aunt Kai makes us Pad Thai! YUUUMMM!!! She's funny. Her shop open seven day a week. Bwahahaha! North Dallas is where it's at for Asian, btw. I mean, as far as TX goes.

Quick Reply: you know you eat too much asian food when...