Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Zing! No more xA!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Zing! No more xA!

My drive home from work ends up being four hours in the hospital.

For many of you who know me in person I drive a Scion xA that has been a really great car for me. In the short time I have had the vehicle, July 3 2004 until well, now.

It was Friday October 13, 2006 and I was heading home from work about 00:15. If you have been on I-190 you know it can be congested with all the on/off ramps even late at night.

Exiting Mannheim South I had merged into lane 3 of I-190 East. The on ramp from Mannheim turns into the off ramp for I-294 South. As I drove forward the off ramp was just to my right. A driver in lane 1 or 2 realized they missed their exit and veered out of their lane towards me.

I thought they had impacted with me, their front passenger side fender into my drivers side. The adjuster told me the other drive thinks I drove into her with my front driver side fender into her passenger side. Either way, the other driver assumed all responsibility for the accident citing they missed their exit and entered my lane.

After the impact my vehicle began to roll completing 3-4 rolls (appears I might have rolled more than that--not sure. The distance between where I think the car started to roll and where it might have stopped is a long ways) and resting on my passenger side. I remember looking forward as the vehicle rolled and watching the view like a dryer. I think I was able to keep my hands on the steering wheel but I'm not sure. After the vehicle stopped I was holding the steering wheel so I either grabbed it after it stopped or held on the whole time.

Slightly hanging by the seat belt I unbuckled myself and gained my standing ability. I do not recall whether I climbed out my drivers side window or through the windshield. I exited the vehicle, faced the road and began walking towards the side of the road about 20-30 feet from both the car and road. From the point of when the vehicle stopped and I walked away from the vehicle I knew my head was bleeding but ended up being minor.

Immediately there were people stopping to see if I needed help. I remember hearing someone say, "We may be on the news!" I sat down and eventually laid down, two people who had just flown into town from Haiti had stopped, both were paramedics. Checking my signs they remained with me until the ambulance showed up. From here on out I starred up for the next 3-4 hours, I don't like that!

I received X-rays, cat scans, and good old pressure checks while in the hospital. I did not have any signs of internal, neck, or head damage. Roughly 0330-0400 I was discharged from the hospital receiving paper clothes because my boxers, pants, and shirts were cut off en route to the hospital.

So far I only have photos of the accident site. I plan to have photos taken of the vehicle when I see it on Monday and any visible bruising.

http://www.thisexit.us/eh/accident

So here I am at 2220 Saturday night sore as all get out. I have not seen my vehicle since 0030 today and I'm a bit frustrated.

I stopped by where the accident happened today to get those pictures...

(mind you I wrote that for who I know and or live in the chicago area and people from other sites)
Old 10-15-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yikes. just keep in mind though, you are okay and thats all that really matters.... Your car is insured and its just metal and plastic. it can be fixed or replaced, you cant.

Glad you are okay.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

first of all.. i glad you're ok..
another friday the 13th mishap.. you;'re not alone..

here's what happened to me and couple others..

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=143920
Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear about the car, but most importantly glad your ok.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just makes me wonder, I know I said I might have rolled more than 3-4 times but looking at it even more I might have just had that much momentum to travel.

I know I completed at least 1.25 rolls, one full roll then finally resting on my passenger side.

I haven't really been able to focus on anything but the accident.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats just depressing, glad your ok!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

glad you made it out with just a few bumps, brusies and scrapes...
take it easy,
Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah being from Il I know what you mean my old exit towards rockford was just like that their off and my on ramp being like one.. Glad your OK
Old 10-15-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, people need to pay more attention when driving. Being from Chicago area myself, I can vouch for those poor driving habits I see every day I drive. People are too busy talking on the phone, eating, drinking, BSing, etc etc. Someone hits me like that and I will own their life after that. I except no excuses for someone doing that to me. Glad you got out okay anyways. Boy, these situations ____ me off more and more everyday. I'm gonna buy a helicopter and fly to work from now on. I better stop before I get really upset.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
I'm gonna buy a helicopter and fly to work from now on.
best advice ever!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Sounds like you were in shock.

You were very lucky, many people do the walk that you did while in shock, not knowing they have serious injuries.

How fast was the lady driving that hit you, to make your car roll so many times?

Glad to hear you had on the seatbelt. So many idiots dont wear it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I feel your pain man, I flipped my tC about 3 weeks ago and totalled it out. Glad to see you made it out alright also. These cars really are safe
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! Man, I'm glad you're alright. That could have been really bad. I'm curious....did your car have the side airbags? If so, did they deploy?
You're really lucky not to have any serious injuries. Back when I was a full-time EMT, we arrived on the scene where a pickup truck had rolled 2 or 3 times down an embankment. When we got to the truck the driver was attempting to crawl out of the cab (the truck was upside-down). We told him to hold still but he kept insisting he was fine. We talked him into letting us put him in a collar and onto a backboard "just in case". Turns out he had a fractured cervical vertibre and had to wear a Halo Brace for 3 months. Had he kept moving around, he very likely would be a quadriplegic right now.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:09 AM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Get an attorney man insurance will try to F you.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by matt_a
Wow! Man, I'm glad you're alright. That could have been really bad. I'm curious....did your car have the side airbags? If so, did they deploy?
You're really lucky not to have any serious injuries. Back when I was a full-time EMT, we arrived on the scene where a pickup truck had rolled 2 or 3 times down an embankment. When we got to the truck the driver was attempting to crawl out of the cab (the truck was upside-down). We told him to hold still but he kept insisting he was fine. We talked him into letting us put him in a collar and onto a backboard "just in case". Turns out he had a fractured cervical vertibre and had to wear a Halo Brace for 3 months. Had he kept moving around, he very likely would be a quadriplegic right now.
Damn, what an idiot. What state was this in?
I am just curious, which of the 7 c-vertebrae was it? I just want to no if was the upper pirticularly. Must have had a nice head injury. heh

bump for pics.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think I was thinking completely clear, but I knew what had happened. I felt the car slam into the ground each time it turned. I remember opening my eyes in between slams and seeing everything turn--I did that at least 2-3 times then when it came to a rest. My vision was distorted when I got out of the vehicle but I don't know I just knew I was ok.

I was talking to everybody that was around me asking if they could send a text message to my girlfriend and tryign to think of everybody's cell phone number to just get someone to know what happened.

I don't know what she was doing, nobody from the vehicle (THREE PEOPLE) approached me while I was still on the scene. I'm a bit frustrated with that--those who helped me were really nice though. I was asked if there was anything specific item from my vehicle, "THERE'S A RED THING...." I was more worried about my somewhat new laptop than MYSELF!

Thanks for all your messages, I hope to have pics of my car tomorrow. Wish I had pictures from right after the accident. I have a feeling the roof will be fairly intact, ie not crushed in other than what you would expect in the center but intact around the door and windshield pillars. I don't remember having my head cocked when it stopped to fit.

Who knows :X
Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I agree with one of the above poster's, in I highly recommend a lawyer right now. I think you are ok in the insurance aspect. But as far as this lady's insurance coming after you to thwart off some of the cost and also based on these people just sitting in their vehicles after they witnessedf your car roll several times from their driver's error. That is just wrong.
Did the police run these people for warrents? The passenger's are who I am referring to.

Before I get too off topic, I want to add I've been in 2 very serious car accidents, both cases I was struck head on by drunk driver's.
My first I was amazed at how much money the court awards you...
The second, the people fled, but lawyer's just seem to jump at the chance to rep you for free in those cases.
Didnt get any money on the second one, but got a nice long hospital stay and some pretty sweet intervenous drugs lol.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am hoping to avoid a lawyer, not exactly sure what to expect from the insurance company just yet but my vehicle was worth at least $10,000.

Does it not help that the driver has admitted full responsibility to the Illinois State Police, my insurance claim adjuster, and most likely will do the same to her OWN insurance company tomorrow?

My father says he can contact his lawyer who has handled matters like this in the past for him so its there if need be.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by chewd0g
I am hoping to avoid a lawyer, not exactly sure what to expect from the insurance company just yet but my vehicle was worth at least $10,000.

Does it not help that the driver has admitted full responsibility to the Illinois State Police, my insurance claim adjuster, and most likely will do the same to her OWN insurance company tomorrow?

My father says he can contact his lawyer who has handled matters like this in the past for him so its there if need be.
Dude---do you have any idea what your hospital bill is going to be? You are looking at several times what the car was worth. See your father's lawyer asap or call Larry H. Parker..................
Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude at least go talk to the lawyer for ADVICE

Quick Reply: Zing! No more xA!