If you need more info please call me Tammy (Mrstunerbox) 205-821-4819
Please email me to let me you are coming tammybud4u@aol.com

Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Payne, Alabama
Little River Canyon National Preserve
LITTLE RIVER FALLS

Take 75 North to Exit 125.
Turn left after exiting.
Follow road approximately 4 miles.
At the Red Light -- turn left -- then a quick right to Hwy. 411.
Follow Hwy. 411 to Rome, Georgia.
On the East side of Rome, leave Hwy. 411 to Hwy. 20.
Follow Hwy. 20 through Rome to the Alabama state line.
At the Alabama state line, Hwy. 20 turns into Hwy. 9.
Follow 6-7 miles to the intersection of Hwy. 35 to Fort Payne, Alabama.
Turn right on Hwy. 35.
Follow 16-20 miles to Little River Canyon National Preserve.
Little River Falls will be on your left immediately before the bridge.

Birmingham to Fort Payne, Alabama
LITTLE RIVER FALLS / EBERHART POINT / DESOTO STATE PARK

Follow I-59 North toward Chattanooga to Exit 218 (Fort Payne/Rainsville -- about 1 1/2 - 2 hours).
Turn right off exit. Get in the left lane. Go to the first red lightt (McDonald's will be on the left). Go straight past the red light and veer left.
You will come to a stop sign. Turn left. You will be on Gault Avenue South. (Alabama Band Fan Club on left).
Follow Gault Avenue all the way through town to 5th Street NE. (Union Park on your right).
Turn right at red light onto 5th Street NE (Hwy. 35) and go across railroad tracks to red light. Go straight and veer left at the flashing yellow light and go up the mountain. Follow Hwy. 35 to the flashing yellow light at the top of the mountain.

DESOTO STATE PARK - Turn left onto DeSoto Parkway (County Road 89) for DeSoto State Park and follow the signs.

LITTLE RIVER FALLS - Go straight 5 miles, you will come to a bridge, cross the bridge and turn RIGHT into Falls parking lot.

Chattanooga, Tennessee to Fort Payne, Alabama

SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE (Passport stamp available here!)
2141 Gault Avenue North, Fort Payne, Alabama

Take I-59 South toward Birmingham (about 1 hour).
Take Exit 222 (Fort Payne/Rainsville).
Turn left off Exit 222 - go across the bridge.
Follow to the red light (Kentucky Fried Chicken will be on your right).
Go straight to the next red light (Food Land Grocery will be on your right), go straight onto Gault Avenue North.
You will see Western Sizzlin and Smith Wheel Inc. on your right -- Our office is on the LEFT directly across from Smith Wheel Inc.

LITTLE RIVER FALLS / EBERHART POINT / DESOTO STATE PARK

From our office, turn left out of driveway (onto Gault Avenue North) and follow to red light (Earthgrains Bread Store on your left). Turn left.
Go across rail road tracks to the red light. Turn left onto Godfrey Avenue.
You will immediately come to another red light. Turn right at light onto Beason Gap Road.
Follow Beason Gap Road to the stop sign (this road is very curvy, go slow).

DESOTO STATE PARK - Turn left onto DeSoto Parkway (County Road 89) to go to DeSoto State Park and follow signs into the park.

LITTLE RIVER FALLS - Turn right onto DeSoto Parkway (County Road 89).
Follow 1 block to flashing yellow light. Turn left at flashing yellow light onto Hwy. 35. Follow for 5 miles.
Turn right just before the bridge and follow Hwy. 176, 23-mile scenic drive

Anyone coming from another locations please let me know and I will get you a map.

ADDRESS
John Bundy, Superintendent
2141 Gault Avenue North
Fort Payne, Alabama 35967
Phone: (256) 845-9605
Fax: (256) 997-9129
Email: LIRI_Administration@nps.gov

INTRODUCTION TO
Little River Canyon National Preserve was established on October 21, 1992. The work began in earnest in 1995 to get the Preserve to where it is today. Little River Canyon became a National Preserve because:
(1) Little River Canyon's scenery is preserved for the enjoyment of visitors.

(2) Little River Canyon National Preserve protects and allows visitors to enjoy many natural resources including rare, endangered or threatened species, habitats and Outstanding National Resource Waters.

(3) The visiors enjoy many types of recreation using the resources; including sightseeing, kayaking, water activities, climbing, having a picnic and much more.

The difference between a “National Park” and a “National Preserve” is that a preserve offers hunting and direct resource manipulation whereas a park does not. The Preserve has a Backcountry (Wildlife Management Area) consisting of a little more than 8,000 acres located north of the canyon that allows hunting. Before the Preserve came to be, hunting had been an established practice and so it was written into the legislation when it became a National Preserve. Hunters follow the rules and regulations set by the Alabama Game and Fish Division, and are monitored by Game and Fish and National Park Service Rangers.

This area has approximately 19 miles of multi-use trails where all-terrain-vehicles (ATV’s) are allowed to ride (with a free permit issued by the Preserve). Horseback riders are allowed to use the same trails (no permit required- bring your own horse). For horseback riders, High Rock is a wonderful place for a picnic. These are popular multi-use trails so you may encounter 4-wheel drive vehicles, bicycles, dirt bikes, horses, ATV's or people walking, so please drive slow. There are many blind curves, caution is advised.

There are three primitive campsites located in our Backcountry Area (not the canyon). The campsites are open February 1 through September 30 (when gun-hunting is closed). The campsites are Slant Rock, Billy's Ford and Hartline Ford. All three of the campsites are located near the river and accommodate one group per site. Each campsite includes a rock fire ring, picnic table, trash can, tent pad large enough for two tents, and an outhouse (no running water). For a small fee, DeSoto State Park will let you use their showers. There is no charge for camping at Little River Canyon National Preserve, we only ask that you keep the area free of litter. We do not take reservations, the campsites are first come first served.

DeSoto State Park is located within the boundaries of Little River Canyon National Preserve. The state park has a lodge, restaurant, cabins, chalets, motel, campgrounds, nature center, swimming pool, country store and a gift shop. DeSoto State Park offers nice wooden boardwalks and beautifully tended flower gardens. I like to think of the state park as the civilized part and Little River Canyon National Preserve as the wild part of the canyon. A visitor can have his/her choice of nature - - tended and manicured or rugged and wild.

The Blue Hole is a popular area, turn on the first dirt turn-off on your left past the falls on Highway 35 going toward Rome, Georgia. The water is deep, and popular for fishing.

Little Falls is another popular area, park on the first dirt pull-off on the right past the falls on Highway 35 going toward Rome, Georgia. A word of caution, the trail down to this area is difficult and very challenging. I recommend this to only the fit and/or the young! There are easier places to go and play in the water that are just as nice.

There are a series of eight overlooks along the scenic 23 mile drive (Highway 176), Little River Falls and Canyon Mouth Day Use Area to visit at the Preserve. For the scenic drive, I suggest you drive only along Highway 176 (about 11 miles) and follow it to Dogtown, then back to Fort Payne. County Road 275 is in very bad condition. This road is especially dangerous for motorcycles (potholes, loose gravel). You can take the shortcut if you want to go to Canyon Mouth Day Use Area (see driving directions). Some of these overlooks received their name from the landowners that owned the land, but others were from their location.

The first stop before you venture down the scenic drive is Little River Falls. It is located by the bridge on Highway 35. There is a paved 50-car parking lot, picnic tables, barbecue grills and a rest room. The paved trail leading down to the overlook of the 45 foot waterfall has a bench along the way for people that want to rest or relax and enjoy the scenery. The overlook has a wayside exhibit that gives information about the Preserve and a perfect view of the falls. Visitors swim at their own risk. The water is swift over the falls and the rocks are slippery. Hiking down below the falls to swim can also be hazardous due to unstable rocks. Fishing is allowed anywhere on the river inside the preserve if you have an Alabama fishing license. The most daring kayakers start their trek here (Suicide Run, class VI rapid) in the fall/winter/early spring when the water is high enough.

The first overlook on Highway 176 is Little River Falls Overlook. It has a plastic lumber boardwalk with a wayside exhibit and a fantastic view of Little River Falls from afar. Picnic tables are located along the side of the overlook. This is a great place for people with disabilities to view the waterfall. It is a short walk on the flat walkway to the overlook.

The second turnout is Lynn Overlook. It has a wooden split rail fence and picnic tables. This is a favorite site for rock climbers, and is a great place to watch kayakers in the fall/winter/early spring.

Just past Lynn Overlook is Beaver Pond Trail. This three quarters of a mile trail is a favorite for bird watchers. It leads you to a pond where beavers have made several dams and a variety of birds have made their homes.

Needle Eye Rock/Mushroom Rock is a natural rock formation found in the middle of Highway 176. The rock is shaped like a giant mushroom, but also has a “needle eye” at the bottom.

Just before Hawks Glide you will see the Lower Two Mile Trail sign on your left. This trail is used primarily by kayakers to get down to the river to put in their kayaks.

The third overlook is Hawks Glide. You will probably see several hawks or vultures flying overhead looking for their next meal, hence the name.

The fourth overlook is Canyon View. You can view Wolf Creek Overlook directly across from you and you will see a fantastic view of the canyon.

The fifth overlook is Wolf Creek. This is the best overlook for photographs. Rock Climbers can often be seen here. The view is spectacular!

Lizard Wall is a popular rock climbing area found just before Crow Point.

Crow Point is the sixth overlook. The Boy Scouts created the trail down to the overlook. We added the split rail fence and the bulletin board. From the overlook you can see the fork in the river where Bear Creek joins Little River. This is a great place to have a picnic.

Grace's High Falls is a beautiful seasonal waterfall. Fall, Winter and Spring are the best times to view the falls. It has a platform with a bench to sit on to enjoy the view, and a new split rail fence.

Eberhart Point is the seventh overlook. This area has picnic tables, a rest room and a barbecue grill. The overlook has a great view of the cliffs and a trail. The trail is three quarters of a mile long, leading down to the bottom of the canyon. Kayakers use this as a take-out or as a put-in. Once down in the canyon, a visitor can hike along the edge of the water. This is a rugged hike, you will climb over and under boulders, over and under trees, cross a narrow ledge, cross the water twice. You can hike as far as you like, but keep in mind that you have to turn around and come back up the three-quarter miles to the top of the canyon. It is much harder to hike up than it is to hike down. Take plenty of water and some food. Wear boots and take an extra pair of socks in case you fall into the water. Cell phones do not work in the canyon. Only day hikes are allowed, you must come out of the canyon before dark.

The eighth overlook is Weaver Overlook. This a non-developed overlook at this time. Experienced rock climbers like this one because it is the highest climbing point in the canyon.

Powell Trail is where a lot of visitors start or end their hike from Eberhart Point Trail.

Canyon Mouth Day Use Area is a favorite area for families. Beginning in May there will be a $2.00 day use fee per vehicle. A season pass is available for $10.00. There is a restroom with running water, a covered picnic area, picnic tables, barbecue grills, a beach area and a nice trail. The trees keep the sun off in the summer, and a nice cool breeze comes off the water. The water is crystal clear and is a great place to cool off in the water. The trail is almost a mile long. You are at the bottom of the canyon so the trail is not difficult. It's a great place for children and pets on a leash. Johnnie’s Creek cuts you off at the end of the trail. The boulders at the end of the trail are a great place to sit and have lunch while the water sprays you with a fine mist to cool you off. Fishing is allowed if you have an Alabama Fishing License. This is the place to go when you want to pack a picnic basket, take the family sunbathing, wading, hiking, barbecuing and enjoying nature at it's best.

The Preserve offers exceptional opportunities for whitewater kayaking/canoeing, photography, rock climbing, horseback riding, fishing, hunting, hiking, picnicking or just enjoying the outdoors.

A rim road (Hwy. 176) on the western side of the canyon allows the visitor to view the splendor of the canyon from a series of overlooks along a 23 mile drive. Eberhart Point about 11 miles down the rim (14.2 mile marker) has rest rooms (no running water) and a three-quarter mile trail that leads you from the top of the canyon down to the river at the bottom. Once you are at the bottom, facing the river, on your right is a trail. The trail is unmarked, rugged and full of adventure. You will see rapids, climb over and under trees, over and under rocks, cross small streams and see nature up close. Put your lunch and plenty of water in your backpack and spend the day in the Preserve. The trail will disappear a few times, but if you keep following the water, you can't get lost. Hike as far as you like, but remember, you have to leave by dark and you still have to climb that three-quarter mile up to get out of the canyon. I don't recommend this trail for small children or pets, there are some tough places to climb over and around. This trail is rugged, if you want something easier, I suggest Canyon Mouth Day Use Area trail, it's great too!
Rafters, kayakers and canoeists float the waters about 6 months a year. Kayaking is difficult and only recommended for the experienced, on a scale of 1-6 Little River is a 3+ to a 6. Periodically, rappellers and rock climbers can be seen at the favorite spots on the canyon walls.

FEES
Little River Canyon National Preserve has a day use fee of $2.00 at Canyon Mouth Day Use Area located near Leesburg, Alabama. Season Passes are available for $10.00. There is no charge to visit the Falls or to drive down Highway 176 (scenic drive) to view the canyon. We ask that you help us keep the area clean and free of litter. Also, be safe and use good judgment in visiting and enjoying the Preserve.

We cant wait to meet everyone.

Thank's,
Tammy (MrsTunerbox)

Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

that looks like fun... such a long drive for me to get there... I'll have to see about this... how long do you think it would take to get there from baton rouge, 6 hours??? google says 8hrs...
Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you came up on Saturday and got a room nearby, then you would be rested enuff for the drive back.... If google says 8 hrs, I'd say 7, allowing for pit stops....

We'd love to have you make the trip!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's a long trip... even for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But, it won't stop you from making it, right???

Right???????
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm buying my first Scion today (xB). A little bummed out after I just read they're killing off the xB but I like them so I wanted to get one before they're gone. Is this event still on? If so how many do you think will come? I wouldn't mind making the drive over (live in Florence).

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the AL family!!!!

Stay tuned.. we will have something going on....
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member

FT payne! dang i was excited for a minute, i was thinking muscle shoals, florence area meet, im with you ikevin im from waterloo, al...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SilverTcGuy
FT payne! dang i was excited for a minute, i was thinking muscle shoals, florence area meet, im with you ikevin im from waterloo, al...
Cool . . . Give me an IM (pkbugs) sometime when you're in town. There's also a thing in Hoover sometime this month (trying to confirm when the date actually is). I think i'll be going down to that if you want to do a 2 car convoy :D
Old 10-02-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Hoover show is on Oct. 15 at 12:00.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SilverTcGuy
That is just about an hour drive... it will be well worth it! This drive is going to be great! We are working on getting GA and TN folks in with us.

And good to meet ya!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Yea kevin i was thinkin that too i really want to go to the hoover meet but my kit is due any day now and so it might still be in the shop the 15th
Old 10-03-2006, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to order a Colgan bra later this week for road trips. If it gets here in time (I can see no reason it won't) i'm for sure going.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have never been in a caravan, it is one of the coolest feelings......
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back in my VW Beetle days yes . . . . it's amazing.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iKev and 06, you need to go to NRG and see if you and vdubb can hook up. He is in the Cullman area....
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know i'm just being an idiot . . . but what exactly is NRG?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is the statewide Scion club......'06 is trying to join, I hope the issues were fixed and he got in. You just can't trust a computer....hehehehe
Click the link in my sig....
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member

got in last night! i met a guy with a csm tc today with lambo doors drop springs and nice azz rims oh and full cop car treatment lol, headlight flashers, and taillight flashers and even a cop siren! he might be caravanning down there with me, kevin you goin wit us?

Quick Reply: North Alabama Scion Family Reunion Oct 29