Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

After9Events Car Show 1/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

thanks for posting Rey, sounds like you're really making an effort to take care of your customers. If I wasn't so busy this weekend I actually would have come out to this one now and given Speedworld another chance.

I think Firebird works well for a location for its space, track, and location.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member

Firebird doesn't work for many reasons.

First off... When we made the agreement to have the event there, we were told it would be ok to have a major competing sponsor of their track and at the last minute told it would be a limited sponsorship... IE Budweiser was our sponsor, they are a coor's track. We were originally told it would be ok to sell Bud through-out the event, 3 weeks before the event we were told it would only be 1 Bud beer stand to 4 Coors stands.... Made us look like asses with our sponsor.

Second... Their parking and ticketing staff let numerous people through the gates costing us thousands of dollars at the door. (BTW they only credited us the amount we paid for that staff that night.... wahoo a few hundred bucks!!!)

Third... They don't prep the track for racers.

Fourth... $8,600 for insurance where Speedworld's for the same exact coverage is only $1,800.

Fifth... After all was said and done.... Approximately $30,000 to use their facility and staffing... Business wise it was not worth it.

Let me put this out there..... Would you guys be willing to travel almost to Tucson to have an event at an airport?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

an airport sounds cool and different if it can be organized well. I would definetely say NO alcohol again for the event but I'm sure your sponsor isn't thrilled by that. I would say that I wouldn't want to be in Tucson till 2 AM either so maybe if it started earlier it could work out better for most as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Tonights event was cold! I guess cold was an understatement. It was great hang out with Boomster, RBasil and the guy who had the xB in World of Wheels.

Anyway, the guy from Whold of Wheels got 1st and Boomster got 2nd. In my opion, it was a toss up between the two (Both cars were awesome)! There were only about 20 cars total in the whole car show.

Besides being cold as hell and not very organized (telling people going to show to show at 1:00 and most did not show until 5:00). Heck, the promoter did not even show until 2:30-3:00.

I know weather played a huge factor, but if you ask people to show at 1:00, I would assume at least the promoter would be there. The show was fun for the most part, but could have been more organized. But it was very very very very very very cold!!! It would have been better if the Scion community would have shown the support we are capable of. But the promoters will need to get notice out a lot earlier that the Tuesday before the show. Give people time enough to plan.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know most people didn't show because of the problems they had last time. It sounds like it was a little better, but they still have some work to do.

Congrats Boomster and Other Guy!
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by dudehitt
Congrats Boomster and Other Guy!
congrats guys
Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Ok time for me to post my opinion.....

Drag racing event...

I've been to a LOT of drag race events over to past 30+ years, and let me say that After9 events does a GREAT job with the "Run what ya brung" style drag race. I spent a lot of time watching and the tech, staging and announcing for the drag race part of the event was top notch. Great job guys!

Car show event...

In addition to the 1:00pm part of Daves post about there are some other things that really need to be addressed before I will attend another After9 car show event.

#1 Don't let the event workers pass the football around the car shows and damage the event participants property. I now have to replace some parts on one of my trophies because it was knocked over. (With no apology from the worker who threw the football and knocked it over). If the trophy would have fell into my car and damaged the FHC (instead of just on the ground) we would have had a MUCH bigger problem.

#2 Don't let the drag racers drive inbetween the cars that are showing. More than once I saw cars come VERY close to hitting both Boomster and my cars.

#3 Where is the security? I saw ONE security guard the whole night.

#4 Only 1st and 2nd place trophys? What happened to 3rd? No club participation or Best of show awards. No announcements over the intercome about the winners. We (car show participants) really felt like second class citizens compared to the racers.

So in ending.....

After9 does a kick ___ job at the racing aspect but a terrible job with the car show. I really think After9 should stick with what they do best (draq racing) and drop the car show part of their events. Putting on a sub-par car show is only going to make people upset and give your company a bad rep with the car show clubs.

Ray, don't take my comments above the wrong way. I know you guys are busting your ___ to do the best car show you can and I thank you for the effort. I just think you should stick with what you do great (drag racing) and drop the car show part of your events.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

P.S. The winning xB owners name is *****.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Congrads Guys.. on your places.. We only expect the best from you all.. ;)Devon
Old 01-23-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Here are some pics of the event. They are a little dark because I forgot my tripod. But here they are:

Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great Pics though