Another horror story from Larry Miller Scion

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another horror story from Larry Miller Scion

Hi all,

I have been off the boards a while, but thought it should be my civic duty to let you know about my issue with Larry Miller Scion service.

As some of you know I purchased my tC from Larry Miller and had a great experience and have subsequently taken it back for service. (Mainly oil changes). With no issue to date until today.

Most of the guys on the service bay know me and my car and know that I take extremely good care of it. So before it ever goes back I make sure they look it over for any dents, scratches or any other "body" damage just in case.

This morning was no different. I decided to wait for the car since it was only going to take about 45 minutes to an hour. After about an hour I noticed the technician had pulled the car up and parked it along the side of the building. That was my first clue. Then he walked up to the service bay and got the service writer and another gentleman who I came to find out was the service manager. All three of them went over and looked at my car for about 10 minutes.

When they were done my service writer came up to me and I knew something was wrong. He hesitated and then said since my car was lowered they had to lift the back end up in order to get it on the rack. Well in the process he said one of the technicians who was helping slipped while he was pulling up on the rear quarter panel and "fell" against the car creating several dents, deep enough to crack the paint. It is not just one dent but several in different locations which makes me wonder what really happened. I have taken my car in for three oil changes in prior months and have never had a problem before.

As you can imagine I was not very happy. They said they will make sure it is all taken care of, but the damage is so bad that it will be in the body shop for about 4 days. Of course the dents are all on back of the car where Randy laid out my vinyl. So all the vinyl will have to be removed so the car can be painted. I am a little concerned that they will be able to match the paint adequately enough so you don't see the change in color. Mine is the Flint Mica and for those that have this color know how much metal flake is in the paint.

So the moral of the story is, no matter how well you take car of your ride there is the possibility that someone or something will ruin it. Will I ever go back to Larry Miller service, most likely not.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am very sorry to hear this Scott. If you need any help or want me to look at the paint after it gets back let me know. Since I stare at paitn all the time.

If you want my help with this, lets make aure we do it at the bodyshop before you take delviery of it from them so they cant pull anything. Know what I mean??
Old 12-03-2005, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks, but at least they took responsibility in doing it.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbwhat
That sucks, but at least they took responsibility in doing it.
Good point but, still, sorry to hear about this Scott.

I don't get the whole "pulling up on the rear quarter panel" thing though. How much did you lower it?

Anyway, at least they stood up for it.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What "rack" were they putting on that they had to pull up on the car to get
it on because it was lowered? I have worked on many cars that were "lowered"
and have used 2x4's to get the vehicle to clear the "rack" but not for an oil
change. Now that Randy has been so kind to install some drop springs for us
I have to roll up on boards so I can get a jack under the car without damaging
the body, but an oil change? Good luck -- sorry to hear about this
Old 12-04-2005, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just saw you at Claim Jumpers, and you didn't really look to happy, was it the waiter/waitress or really was it the dent. Hope you had a wonderful dinner.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matixten
I just saw you at Claim Jumpers, and you didn't really look to happy, was it the waiter/waitress or really was it the dent. Hope you had a wonderful dinner.
I thought that was you. No, the dinner was awesome as always, especially when my employer was paying for it.

The dents didn't help. I was out in the garage this morning just staring at them.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope everything gets back so normal and there is no more problems
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

Sorry to hear this Scott. Damn that sucks.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Yep, walked across the street and witnessed the dents...They're small but there are NUMEROUS...I don't get how the idiot could have done this....Scott has had the oil changed by them before and his car was lowered at that time...Scott is **** about his car, he cleans it every other day with a wipe down in between...Scott, time for a complete custom paint job...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow, Yelo Sub you are alive. Glad to see u back on the boards
Old 12-05-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
One word "OVERTIME" Work has been busy...Tis the season to be jolly, I mean thieves...Yes I am alive
Old 12-05-2005, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Originally Posted by RockBlocker
One word "OVERTIME" Work has been busy...Tis the season to be jolly, I mean thieves...Yes I am alive
I just asked Randy yesterday if he had seen or heard from you in awhile.. glad to hear all is well.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude they are taking the blame for what happened. I would have no problem letting them work on my car if that had happened to me. If you decide to take it back to them they will take extra precautions and treat your car with extra TLC. If their story is true then other dealers will have to do what they did and you run the risk of it happeneing at another dealer, one that might not be willing to correct their mistake.

I had a Honda Prelude in for service a few years ago and while it was on their lot, in the fenced in part just outside the service bays, someone went in and smashed a window and removed a fog lamp and a marker light, as well as tried to look for something under the hood. They smashed the window in order to unlatch the hood. The JOKE OF A SHERRIFF that came out wrote it down as vandalism not theft even though parts were stolen, and the dealership refused to offer any help. They said it wasn't their problem because it was obvious someone hated me. I had to beg to get the replacement parts at cost from the parts manager. The local car glass place came out and installed a new driver side window, and quoted me a price. This happened in the service writeup area. While he was writing the ticket he asked what happened and I told him. He looked at me and said he could not believe that the dealership was not taking responsibility for their actions. He then scratched out the price he quoted and wrote down a new lower price and said he was giving me the dealer wholesale price to help me out.

I did get my revenge on this dealer though, but not the way you might expect. I had a very good friend that was a service writer here. He was on vacation when t his mess happened and when he came back he offered me substantial discounts on future services, which I took advantage of. The discounts I got were greater than the money I spent for repairs on the car, and I would not have gotten the discounts normally. All said and donw I had around $280 in damage done to the car.

After some time had passed I figured out what happened. Someone broke onto the lot to steal parts from my car. If someone wants to vandalize it they will just smash it all to hell, not remove exterior lights. The Dealer was able to weasel out of it because either the Sherriff that investigated it was an idiot or they convinced the Sherriff that it was vandalism. The Sherriff wrote up and finished his report before I was even notified of the damage done, and was not there to have the report written the right way from the beginning.

Trust me, it's bad what happened to your car, but I would give them a second chance since they were up front and didn't try to weasel out of it. They could have easily tried to shift the balme to you because of your modifications, but they didn't.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

damn. i hope it get fixed the right way.
wtf? lifting the car by the fenders?
your car is only lowered 2"!
they need to invest in a couple of pieces of wood to DRIVE the car onto the lift. what amateures.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I plan on taking it back to them to repair the damage. When stuff like this happens you don't think right. I did get an estimate from a body shop close by and it ended up being about $1100 in damage. Randy will have to relay the vinyl on the right side after it is done.

Yes they have owned up to the mistake and have called me more then once this morning to get it resolved. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow that sucks

see...if something just freakishly happened and they owned up and fixed it Id take it back...but this seems like 1. either someone screwed up and is lying to cover themselves or 2. there are people who work there that dont know what they are doing. And either case Id be afraid to go back. My car is down 2.5 inches and I have never had a problem clearing the lifts...even when I had it on the dyno jet. If they dont know how to lift a car Id question if they even know how to change the oil lol.

Best of Luck!