Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Charities and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Charities and why?

Im looking into to next years budget for work and I decided that I would like help from you guys and girls!! What I am wondering is this?

Is there a charity that is close to your heart? That actually means something to you than just giving for the sake of giving. Is there someone directly related in your family that has been helped or benefited by the charity you give time or money too.

So please list your favorite charity and why?

Thanks for your help on this
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

Anything that has to do with the research to cure Alzheimers...Since losing my grandma to Alzheimers, I have only seen fundraisers for cancer and yes i know the money is needed for that also ...There is nothing for Alzheimers. You can have Alzheimers at early ages and have no idea u have it until you are older. Nothing hurts more then seeing a loved one go thru it and they cant even remeber who you are.

http://www.alz.org/
Old 10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Global one: Invisible Children. Kids in Uganda are captured and forced to fight in the war, some as young as 5 years old. It's truely a disgusting thing that's going on over there. My brother in law is in Uganda now, working for Invisible Children, to give these kids a safe place to live, learn, and a place to be kids...link in my signature.

Local one: Rosie's House. It's a music school for underpriviledged children in Phoenix. They've done a lot of wonderful things for the kids who would otherwise not have the means. They are currently struggling to pay their bills and keep the school open. My wife and I have been working with them for a couple years to help out.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

what: MDA www.mda.org
why: my G/F Erica has muscular dystrophy. it gets worse over time, and there is no cure in sight. for those who dont know, MD impairs your ability to control your own muscles.

Basic Information About MDA

The Muscular Dystrophy Association is a national voluntary health agency working to defeat neuromuscular diseases through programs of worldwide research, comprehensive services, and far-reaching professional and public health education.

MDA is the largest nongovernmental sponsor of neuromuscular disease research.

More than 1 million Americans are affected by neuromuscular diseases. About 250,000 have some form of muscular dystrophy.

Included in the more than 40 neuromuscular diseases covered by MDA are nine forms of muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease), myasthenia gravis, spinal muscular atrophy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and others.

MDA is the first nonprofit agency to be recognized by the American Medical Association with a Lifetime Achievement Award for "significant and lasting contributions to the health and welfare of humanity."
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure by now everyone knows my family is involved with JDRF and their effort to fund a cure for diabetes, expecially type I (juvenile). We became involved after my daughter was diagnosed with Type I diabetes last August at the age of 8.

One of the biggest things I want everyone to know is that insulin is NOT a cure for diabetes. Insulin is the treatment that keeps my daughter alive. Because perfect blood sugar control is not possible, even with insulin pumps and 10 finger pokes a day for glucose checks, she will probably end up with some of the complications such as neuropathy and kidney or liver problems.

Here is some info about JDRF and their work. (from this link)
Facts about JDRF
The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International (JDRF) is the leading charitable funder and advocate of type 1 (juvenile) diabetes research worldwide. The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.

Research Funding Facts
Since its founding in 1970 by parents of children with type 1 diabetes, JDRF has awarded more than $1 billion to diabetes research, including more than $123 million in FY2006. More than 80 percent of JDRF’s expenditures directly support research and research-related education. In FY2006, the Foundation funded 500 centers, grants and fellowships in 20 countries.

General Diabetes Facts
Diabetes is a chronic, debilitating disease affecting every organ system. There are two major types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes (an autoimmune disease also known as juvenile diabetes) and type 2 diabetes (a metabolic disorder also known as adult onset diabetes).

Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes Facts
Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes strikes children suddenly, makes them dependent on injected or pumped insulin for life, and carries the constant threat of devastating complications. While diagnosis most often occurs in childhood and adolescence, it can and does strike adults as well.
I'll get off my soapbox now, but if anyone has any questions, let me know.

(you could also donate to the walk that is coming up saturday CLICK ME! )
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife's youngest son also has diabetes(type 1). She has dealt with this since he was
8 years old. He has the the liver problems and neuropathy(lack of feeling in the limbs)
that Brent has stated. He is now 23. On top of all of this he is Bipolar aswell. I watch
him go from from good to bad in a matter of minutes(blood sugar too high or too low).
Over the last couple of years I've seen this young man deteriate alot. He would love
to come out to a meet, even for a short time, but we haven't been able pull that off
yet. Maybe sometime soon.

There are many cause's to donate to -- Please concider this one.

Thank You
Old 11-01-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

These are some excellent charities and reasons why to donate, help or support their causes. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank for you taking the time to comment. I'm sure it is not easy to speak about some of these.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

One of my favorite is

Whilred Peas
Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

My Bad!!! I meant

World Peace
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Any cancer charities. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in August and am in favor for helping contribute to find a cure.

Any sort of animal charity..all of my animals come from shelters.

And finally.....any charity that supports rainforest preservation. I was adopted from Colombia, South America: La Union--a small village in the Amazon Rainforest to be exact. Help save my birth home!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Breast Cancer research (Mother is a BC survivor)

Downs Syndrone (my Goddaughter has downs.)
Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF). The CFF puts nearly 90% of every dollar raised to research, that means less than 11% is used for red tape.

Also I have CF (I wish it was Carbon Fiber)
About the CF Foundation (Clicky)
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

March of Dimes....we do the walk every year.

I can tell you first hand there are way too many premature babies born. Help save their lives.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Breast Cancer. My grandmother is a survivor.

Also, http://www.equineeden.org/
Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

First Foundation for women- or any shelter based place for women and their families to go when they have no means, and at the time no options. Those places really help - when the person is scared , hurt, and then worried when they have children already scarred by the events of violence so have no where to go is very scarry to a little child.
The shelters help the family and mom rebuild their lives- classes on how to get out from under the stress by education to get a new job, rebuild their confidence, how to help their kids make it thru this.
These are very important places- because they don't have enough. If you called one right now for a place to go, they would have to turn you and your kids away- because they are too full, and we don't have enough places in Phoenix to help.

Most women have to stay- because they have no options.