guy tried to scam me at lunch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Default guy tried to scam me at lunch

I was leaving the gas station and this guy stopped me in a Durango asking if I want speakers. "We're making a delivery.." and I stopped him there. Said I work for an audio company and not interested but he kept trying to sell...."oh you work for MTX?". I replied YUP and drove off.

For those of you that don't know about this scam you need to be careful, this happens on craigslist too. Typically if they're trying to sell them to you out of a van or SUV they'll tell you that they're making a delivery but they were given too many speakers and need to get rid of them or they're boss will be mad at them or something else like they're boss will give them a 6 pack or something for getting rid of them.

What they're always selling is some kind of home speakers in LARGE cabinets with a "German" or "Italian" name that you won't recognize but sound expensive. They'll make you think you're getting a killer deal on them. What the customer DOESN"T know is that the drivers in the box are cheap $4 drivers that have a magnet the size of a dime.....not literally but close enough.....THEY'RE CRAP!

You might find em on craigslist and eBay as well. Before you buy a brand you're not familiar with DO RESEARCH....also keep in mind that if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Let this be your warning
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, my dad got scammed by them. "they are worth $2,500,00!" umm, thats not even a dollar amount chief. thats supposed to be a decimal point, not a comma. they come after me all the time. i had them chase me around the parking lot in the promenade one time. my dad paid 200 for them and ended up selling them for 200.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yikes thansk for the info. thats crazy people try to pull that.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

well for them they get these cheap crap products and then try to mark em up to people like they're getting a good deal. They can spot a sucker pretty good usually too. I know they spotted me at lunch because of my car and figured I'd be young n dumb.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I liked your earlier advice:

If it seems too good to be true.... ESPECIALLY if it's a product you don't KNOW.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn...Where was this info yesterday...I was hoping to hook these up these weekend
Old 05-24-2008, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol they try to get me at a local wawa , i told the gm inside and he called the cops. this is a bad thing they do . my nabor came over and ask me to hook up a set of surround sound speakers
as i was puting them up i was rambling on about how they dont line up right. "they look like they came form the white van scam" as i told him about what they do his face got red and then he storm out of the room. yha he got them from a white van, followed him to the bank after he hit up the atm the came into the parking lot, another guy was approached at the food mart. but he know crap subwoofer when he seen them.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kahuna
Damn...Where was this info yesterday...I was hoping to hook these up these weekend
oh man Chuck, did you really buy these . If you did you're going to be best off trying to resell them to some other person on craigslist and wish for the best.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happaned to me once while i was filling up with gas in frostburg, md. nothing good could come of that, i'm not idiot...plus at the time i had an awesome stereo in my explorer.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="MTcX"]
oh man Chuck, did you really buy these . If you did you're going to be best off trying to resell them to some other person on craigslist and wish for the best.[/quote

No...I'm with the "If it's to good to be true philosophy" Come on Scotty...Just because I drive an egg doesn't make me stupid!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Just because I drive an egg doesn't make me stupid!!!

J/K. I'm happy to hear you didnt get taken Chuck
Old 05-24-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

haha they tried doing that to me when i was at bestbuy.. failed.. lol i had some guy at the door of best buy seeing it, and he yelled "CON!"
Old 05-24-2008, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have only been hit up with them when they had brand name speakers(jbl, yamaha, infinity), I have never seen any of these knockoff brands. They of course were probably fakes, but it makes it even harder for a lot of people if the speakers are actually branded with something you have heard of and believe to be a respectable brand. I say just stay away from pretty much anything being sold out of a van/truck, unless you are buying crack/etc lol.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

I figured that when people did this that they were stolen goods. I had someone do that to me one time asking if I wanted to buy a home entertainment system for my house at a smoking deal. I knew it was a scam and told them no thanks
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow. some of those websites are rediculous.

ive had these guys try to con me a few times. i just tell them to ____ off and get a real job.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

even if they claim name brands like JBL or ifinity they might have a slight difference in the name that makes it sound the same but ITS NOT. When I was younger I bought a car amp at park n swap.....I asked the guy how much he wanted for this 600 watt JDL amplifier...."$600". I told him it was too much and kept walking...he kept talking me down and finally asked what I CAN afford....I told him $60 and he said OK.

So i talked him down from a $600 amplifier to $60. I should have known then it was crap but oh well. The amp actually worked pretty well and never gave out on me, though I'm sure the sound quality was crap.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MTcX
even if they claim name brands like JBL or ifinity they might have a slight difference in the name that makes it sound the same but ITS NOT. When I was younger I bought a car amp at park n swap.....I asked the guy how much he wanted for this 600 watt JDL amplifier...."$600". I told him it was too much and kept walking...he kept talking me down and finally asked what I CAN afford....I told him $60 and he said OK.

So i talked him down from a $600 amplifier to $60. I should have known then it was crap but oh well. The amp actually worked pretty well and never gave out on me, though I'm sure the sound quality was crap.
Yeah, I've seen most of the park n swap ones, like jdl, sorny, etc. I think most of the stuff I encountered out and about was either stolen, or just crap sealed into brand name boxes. One time when I told the guy I already had really good home speakers, he offered to come to my house and hook up the ones he had so I could hear the quality difference, lol. He had been claiming the speakers he had were from an order a movie theater had made and that he had brought them too many speakers and needed to get rid of the extra.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

yup, thats exactly what they'll tell you. It's a pretty good scam if you find the right person.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh, too bad I already bought 40 pairs to stock my store...

so uh.. big sale next weekend... ;)

Quick Reply: guy tried to scam me at lunch