Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Insurance rates on an xB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Insurance rates on an xB?

I'm shopping for a new xB and it hit me that while I might be able to afford the financing on an xB, if a new insurance policy is going to wipe me out every month, maybe I can't get an xB

I'm 27, going on 28, single, employed, willing to get the factory security for the insurance discount, and I have been driving continuously and insured continuously since I was 16...except...for...that damn DUI last year

NO accidents ever, NO speeding tickets ever, NO red light camera tickets except for one that's been thrown out, but that damn DUI is going to haunt me for years to come. There was no accident or injuries, but how am I going to get full coverage on a new, financed vehicle with a DUI on my record?

So my questions are:

If you're in a similar situation, how much are you paying?
What company are you using?
Do you get any other discounts that help mitigate your record?

I have to figure this stuff out or I can't get my new Scion

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

having someone in your family run their own business *ie general contracting* and geting fleet insurance...... thats how i keep mine low ($103 a month) being 19, with 2 at fault accidents and about a dozen tickets....

in your case.... i might suggest having one your parents cosign, put the insurance in their name, you pay them monthly, they pay the insrance companay....
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they charging you sr-22 insurance or not? Also tell them you only use the car basically for work. You live only 5 miles from work. Those all help alot. I have a DWI on my record and I pay $137 a month for 4 months and get 2 months free, then do another 6 month deal and get the same 4 month payments and two free. I had progressive and now geico and they seem to be on the ball about everything including prices! Also our deductible is only $250 comp $500 collision so if you made them both $500 or whatnot it would make it cheaper as well
Old 08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

We pay $91 a month, full coverage for 2 drivers. Thats with Nation Wide
Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Through AAA, I pay about 85 a month. I am under my father, but I have a few tickets that haven't dropped off my record yet. I do have full coverage with $500 deductible, full glass with $0 deductible. Being in school with higher than a 3.0 also gives you the good student discount with many companies. Some even give a discount for having lo-jack, but Im sure Tim could tell us all how great lo-jack really works being close to the border and all.

Hope that adds to the info already given.

Oh, also, if you have any mods on your car, it is at your discretion that you actually let them know about them. They will add costs to your policy if you tell them you have a bunch of stuff on the car(ie. stereo, rims, custom paint, lighting, interior, and the like).
Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I pay $155 a month for full covorage and I'm 21 with 2 tickets, though I think they where dropped off my record. I'm not sure
Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

There are so many factors when in comes to insurance. That DUI is one huge factor. Your best bet is to call around to insurance companies and request they give you a quote. If they cannot give you a basic quote, they are not worth doing business with.

I do not have a DUI, but when I bought my xB, my insurance only went up about $10/month and that was replacing a 2000 vehicle. xBs are rated very well by my insurance company, but I have insurance that most people cannot get unless you are military, recent military, or a dependant of someone with USAA. An SR22 is also a problem. Most companies charge you extra for the SR22. When I was required to carry one years ago, I went with Titan Ins., but that was many many years ago and I paid amost $200/month for state minimums, but I was under 25.

You also might want to have them quote you on different vehicles and all insurance companies rate vehicle differently. This will help you know what to expect and what type of vehicle to go with.

One thing I found is that a Honda Civic is one of the safest vehicles around, but with the mods of people converting them to racers has caused them to have a hirer than average property damage and injury rating. If people did not convert them to racers, the rates on a Honda Civic would be the best in the market. If you convert a vehicle that is designed to be safe to race as fast as they do with NO2 and all the other racing mods, then get into a wreck, you will create a bunch of high dollar damage.

THIS IS FOR EVERYONE: The state minimum on property damage is set at $15,000. This means that if you are in an at fault accident and you hit a Hummer and total it out, your insurance will only pay that person $15,000. Can you replace a vehicle with $15,000? If so, do not change your coverage, or hope that you do not hit an expensive vehicle. If you do, they WILL come after you for the difference. Most people should carry a property damage of $100,000 minimum (in case you hit multiple vehicles and are at fault). State minimums are exactly that. Minimums. If you own any kid of property, retirement, stocks or anything of value, they will come after you for any additional that your insurance did not cover.

Then you have liability limits, but I will leave that for another subject.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
Through AAA, I pay about 85 a month. I am under my father, but I have a few tickets that haven't dropped off my record yet. I do have full coverage with $500 deductible, full glass with $0 deductible. Being in school with higher than a 3.0 also gives you the good student discount with many companies. Some even give a discount for having lo-jack, but Im sure Tim could tell us all how great lo-jack really works being close to the border and all.

Hope that adds to the info already given.

Oh, also, if you have any mods on your car, it is at your discretion that you actually let them know about them. They will add costs to your policy if you tell them you have a bunch of stuff on the car(ie. stereo, rims, custom paint, lighting, interior, and the like).
Concerning the lo-jack the officer that took my report when my stereo was stolen told me that lo-jack is only on a hand full of squad cars in phoenix, glendale and peoria and the range isn't that good. They have had a 18% success rate with recovering the cars. I don't know about mesa, tempe, chandler ect...

As for the custom after market stuff my $155 covers everything that is ATTACHED to the car. paint, rims, headunit, subs, grills, they even replaced my cathode tubes that the theives broke while getting in the car. They did not replace my ipod and misc items that where sitting in the back seat due to them not being attached. Even though I had the Ipod wired into the head unit they did not consider it attached to the vehicle. Jus make sure to keep reciepts! My deductible is $500 if I add full glas with $0 then the rate goes to $175. still not bad I think considering before I was 21 I was paying $250 without glass coverage.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance rates SUCK here in AZ!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by keoki
Insurance rates SUCK here in AZ!
One of the main reasons why insurance rates are so high is all of the people driving around without insurance.

That is why some zipcodes are rated higher than others. Mine is one of the highest in the nation.

Maybe someday that will change. But I doubt it.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never had to get an SR-22 for some reason to have my license resorted from the DMV suspension (one month). A few people have told me to try Progressive Insurance... even the woman at Liberty Mutual, who told me that Liberty Mutual won't write me a policy if the DUI is less than 5 years old

She also gave me a business card of an insurace broker, so I'm going to call them.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have bad ___ insurance. 100K coverage, glass, the whole shebang. I also have a horrible driving recod including suspensions. I have a $1000 deduct. I pay $242 a month. It ssem high compared to everyone elses, but I do have a bad driving record. I turn 25 in December and it is supposed to drop somwhere in the neighborhood of 80-110 a month.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

I use to have rates like that until I got married and turned 25.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My license was only suspended for a month from the DUI (minimum) and restricted for 2 months, and I never had to show an SR-22 to have it restored.