JDRF walk to cure diabetes - Nov. 3, Tempe Town Lake

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default JDRF walk to cure diabetes - Nov. 3, Tempe Town Lake

Here it is!

The JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes will be held on November 3 at Tempe Town Lake.

As you all know, my daughter Meghan was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes on August 23, 2005. We were fairly new to the Scion community at that time, having purchased the Camobox on Memorial Day that year. We were actually at a Scion meet at Amazing Jakes when we decided that there was something wrong with Meghan and we needed to take her to the Dr. She had been drinking and peeing a lot for a couple weeks, but that night was just ridiculous. She had also been eating a lot, sometimes as much as me and I'm one of those fat guys that likes food. Meghan had always been fairly thin, but right around that time we noticed that her hip bones and ribs were were sticking out. Something was definitely wrong. We went to the Dr a couple days later and they made the diagnosis. Meghan was very lucky. Her blood glucose was over 600 (100 is normal), but she had not developed a condition called DKA, which is life-threatening. Because of that we were actually able to go home for a couple of hours and pack while Phoenix Children's Hospital got a bed ready for her. She spent 3 days in the hospital while they Drs. got her dosages figured out and the CDE's taught us how to keep her alive. When we came home from the hospital Meghan got at least 4 shots of insulin a day. It only took her a few weeks to learn to test her blood sugar herself which she did (and still does, and will continue to do for the rest of her life) about 8-10 times per day. About 10 months later she started giving herself the shots. Last fall Meghan got an insulin pump which has a small tube inserted under her skin through which she receives the insulin she needs. Every 3 days we change the injection site. She will live with this device attached to her until the researchers supported by JDRF find a cure, only removing it for showers and swimming. Every carbohydrate that goes into her body must be accounted for and the proper dose of insulin given, every carbohydrate FOREVER.

Why did I tell you that long story? Well, for one thing I want you to understand a little bit about what Meghan's life is like and why we are so involved with JDRF. The second reason, and even more important, is the first part of the story. Keep an eye on your kids. This disease is crazy and becoming more common all the time. Just a few months ago one of Meghan's friends was also diagnosed. If they are eating, drinking, and peeing constantly take them to get checked.

JDRF's main fund-raising event if the walk to cure diabetes. Please click the link below to visit my fund-raising page where there is a link for joining the team. If you can, we would love to have you join the Meghan's Marauders/Carli's Crusaders walk team. Every walker that joins our team will get a free team t-shirt. Those of you who were around last year remember the walk team shirts. Every walker that raises $100 will receive the JDRF walk t-shirt.

Why walk? Well, last year there were 23,000 people there that raised a ton of money. It's fun. Why do I want you to sign up? That's easy, if you sign up you can hit up your friends and co-workers for donations which means more $$ for JDRF.

If you can't walk or just don't want to, you can always donate through my fundraising page in the link below.

Brent's JDRF Page

There are plenty of other opportunities to support this great cause. In fact I'm pretty sure you'll get completely sick of hearing about JDRF before the end of the year. Here's the list of upcoming events, please get involved if you can.

Scion Apocalypse show for the cure - Oct. 20
Walk Team T-shirt sales - coming soon
Crop and Shop to cure diabetes - Oct. ?? (details coming soon if you're a scrap-booker)
Walk to Cure Diabetes - Nov. 3
Poker Run - Nov. 17

If you've got any questions at all about type I diabetes, joining the walk team, upcoming events, or what you can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks for all the support you guys have already shown us!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brent, I did not know the common symptoms of this. My son has been like that for about a year now, and as you know, he super skinny. He eats like you would, drinks all day long and uses the restroom about 50 times a day. Not to mention my wifes family has a history of diabetes..... I am making an appointment in the morning. WOW. Thanks for letting us in on that.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may be nothing, some kids are like that. Meghan went from fine to something obviously wrong in about a month. If she had gone a lot longer she would have been very sick. If you want to borrow a meter to check his sugar we've got a bunch of extras.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brent's JDRF Page

Okay everyone, Brent got us the info...now let's do our part!!! Help out in anyway you can, if you can't afford to donate...hit up your co-workers or come out and walk. The more money JDRF can raise, the more research they can do and hopefully cure this horrible disease. If you don't have kids yet, like me, just think about what life could be like down the road when you do have kids if they haven't found a cure!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Brent

Thanks for posting the info up for all to read......Very good info for sure.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn brent . so sorry to hear that. well i just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in june. it shocked the ____ out of me. im definetly down to give a helping hand

and brent im definetly interested in info on how to keep my blood sugar down.. im new to all this stufffff
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow! type 2 is a lot different, but my dad has had it for 15+ years. He pretty much stays away for anything with carbs, lots of chicken and fish to keep the cholesterol away.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump

Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill be doing this walk for sure!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who wants to walk with us? Only one Scion owner signed up so far.

CLICK HERE! then click "Join this Team" at the top of the page.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for walkers, less than a month to go!

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me and the wife are registered..... see you guys there....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yay, more walkers!
Our team is growing....who else wants to help us have the biggest, coolest team at Tempe Town Lake on November 3rd?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's coming up soon!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chad, any word on the walk team items? I sent you a couple PM's and an email, but I know how busy you are.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP!!!

Less then one week away...hope everyone is ready, I know I am!
What are the details for meeting up prior to the walk?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everybody walking, here's your info.

the walk starts at 9am, and I think they shut down the Rio Salado Parkway and the Rural Rd. exits off the 101 at 8:30, so we need to get there at about 8 or so.

here is a link to the parking map. last year we had to park all the way over by Rural, but they ran shuttle buses and handed out Monsters, so it was all good.
click here for parking map

JDRF is giving us a special meeting spot since we will be walking with my wife's group of west valley families. I think there will be about 200 or so in our combined group. Meet at the big red dot next to the family team checkin area. (I hope they get a huge red balloon or something so this doesn't get lost.) There will be a sign that says "West Valley Group" or something like that.
click here for meeting spot inside the park.

if you're on the west side, the douthitt family is meeting up with some other people at Abraham Lincoln Traditional School, 7am. we'll probably roll out about 7:15-7:30.
10444 N 39th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85051 (google yourself a map) it's the southwest corner of 39th Ave. and Peoria.

we're expecting about 50-60 people to show up just on the Meghan's Marauders/Carli's Crusaders team. thanks people

if you're not doing anything saturday morning, come on out and join us for a nice little walk.

almost forgot: those of you not walking, CLICK HERE to donate money til it friggin' hurts. you don't need any more mods, these kids need your help.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way if you can't walk you can donate to each walkers here is my link to donate... All moneys go to the Dudehitt team.

Matt link

http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fusea...irmid=86947041

Toni (my wife) link

http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fusea...irmid=86894327

PLEASE DONATE

Quick Reply: JDRF walk to cure diabetes - Nov. 3, Tempe Town Lake