Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT
View Poll Results: How do you think I should handle it?
Wait for property management to get back to me.
52.94%
Pay the deductible and file a claim with my insurance company.
11.76%
Get together with everyone else that is angry and hire an lawyer.
17.65%
Let it go and fix it myself.
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

OVERSPRAY!!!!! (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OVERSPRAY!!!!! (UPDATED)

So, They have been resurfacing the parking structure here at work. I took my car to the carwash the other day. I drive out and my window is still dirty. I just thought they did a craptastic job. I wander into work today and one of my co-workers comes up to me and says "You like cars... Your car is covered by overspray." It all came together immediately. The windshield, rough paint, ect. I just thought it needed waxed. I rush out to the parking lot with my buddy and sure enough, OVERSPRAY!!! EVERYWHERE!!!

I called property management, they said that they have heard several people complain and that they are "investigating the issue". They said that I hve to send an e-mail to them and I should get a reply as soon as they hear something.

I am effin furious. My paint, my widows, my moldings, my door handles, my headlights, my wheels... EVERYTHING has OVERSPRAY on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks, but I think you should give them a chance at making it right before you go hiring lawyers. It may be possible to file with your insurance and have them recover the damages, including your deductible. That's what I had to do when I got rear-ended because the insurance agent of the guy who hit me could not find him.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

well there are 2 stages to answer this wait for property management to say or do something about it and if its not done or they claim no responibility then get together w/ everyone else and get the lawyers involved
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

a claybar will take car of all that overspray dude.
even if the property manager hires someone to clean the cars, do you really think they're going to try and do a good job? Do it yourself
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
even if the property manager hires someone to clean the cars, do you really think they're going to try and do a good job? Do it yourself
I don't think they'll hire someone to do it, I think they'll be passing out checks. Then you can clean it yourself and use the check for something fun.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by dudehitt
I don't think they'll hire someone to do it, I think they'll be passing out checks. Then you can clean it yourself and use the check for something fun.
Good points. I would say hit it with a clay bar too.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

the last restaurant i was working at resprayed the exterior of the building and got overspray on all the employee's cars (including mine). THey hired a "detailer" to come get it off.

I had them pay me $100 and cleaned it off myself w/ a claybar.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the last restaurant i was working at resprayed the exterior of the building and got overspray on all the employee's cars (including mine). THey hired a "detailer" to come get it off.

I had them pay me $100 and cleaned it off myself w/ a claybar.
shows how smart (or not) I am
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

My guess is they would do something like the Neothin comment. Either hire a detailer or pay for you to get it done yourself. Most property companies are not unreasonable.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

my first though when I saw this topic was you need buy yourself a claybar and it will take care of getting the overspray off.

see what the complex will do to fix the problem or ask them repay you for your time and the material if you do it yourself.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

You also might consider preserving the evidence until they admit to a problem in writing and commit to a solution. Maybe you could even get your own detailer involved and get him to quote a discount if they refer all the business to them. Then everyone gets a break.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbcrud
You also might consider preserving the evidence until they admit to a problem in writing and commit to a solution. Maybe you could even get your own detailer involved and get him to quote a discount if they refer all the business to them. Then everyone gets a break.
I know that I need to preserve the evidence until something comes out of this. However I also know that the longer it sits, the harder it is to get off.

As far as the claybar is concerned, I know that will work on my paint. And I know I can Razor the glass. But waht about my moldings, headlights, wheels, grille, etc?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

clay them. clay everything. yes it'll get dirty, but that's why you do the paint first.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

clay them. clay everything. yes it'll get dirty, but that's why you do the paint first.
^^^^ what he said.... Clay everything, even your window it will be much better than a razor blade.....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Bummer. Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i had a shop overspray my car and to get rid of it i had ot clay bared and it came out like new of the lot.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Claybar baby, it is the greatest. When I was a purchasing agent in Mississippi , we worked on Oil Rigs for their 10 yr maint. we had to repaint the legs of the drill rig- overspray was everywhere even though we contained it as best as we could, i use to pay a company $ 385 + depending the amount on the cars to remove the paint. They used claybar although you will spend many many hours doing it it is well worth it.. So i would call around and ask for a estimate on how much it would cost now to have some company do it, and then use the price as a guide for your compensation. By all means, i would wait though so you still have the evidence so there will not be a doubt or problem.. I would buy a commercial claybar though offline thru a detailing website if i were you, they are better quality and last longer..
Hope this helps..
Devon
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for all your responses. It seems like the results all lean towards a claybar. I am going to wait for the property management to get back to me. After that I may or may not claybar it myself. I know I could do the work, I just don't have the time. If anyone knows af any good shops to get an estimate at, let me know.

- Robby
Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got out of a meeting with the property management rep. It seems like they are going to do a good job of handling it.

Apparently the contractor that they are using (OPUS) has had a history of damaging other cars on this project that has taken over 3 years. Some of that damage was done to one of their executives' Aston Martin DB9 (ouch).

So at any rate, the individual that I met with today seems like he is on top of the situation. I will keep you all posted as things come about.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by EVLTSTR
I just got out of a meeting with the property management rep. It seems like they are going to do a good job of handling it.

Apparently the contractor that they are using (OPUS) has had a history of damaging other cars on this project that has taken over 3 years. Some of that damage was done to one of their executives' Aston Martin DB9 (ouch).

So at any rate, the individual that I met with today seems like he is on top of the situation. I will keep you all posted as things come about.
That's what we wanted to hear!!

Quick Reply: OVERSPRAY!!!!! (UPDATED)