Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Scottsdale AZ car stereo laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Scottsdale AZ car stereo laws

Anyone know what the laws are regarding a car stereo system? My dad seems to think I'm gonna get myself arrested if I play my new stereo system very loudly.

For the record I only have one 12 inch soundstream T4 with a 600 watt amp, and component speakers powered from a soundstream head unit.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:40 PM
SL Member

i dont know the specific laws, but tell your dad quit worrying about it cause i highly doubt your going to get pulled over. unless your turn it up all the way next to a cop car lol
Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

as far as I know the law is that it cannot be heard from more than 50 ft away. I know because i got fined when i was playing my old system on Mill ave years ago.

One possible loophole you could play should you ever get in trouble is they should carry a DB meter with them, if they can no record it down with the proper device what your level was at 50 ft away you might have a chance of getting out of it.

I went to court to fight it since it was a $120 fine but remembered my court date wrong and was a day too late so ended up with a non appearance fine and totalled out at $190 for "Sound amplification violation".
Old 05-20-2007, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Scott knows his stuff. Cops are cool. Just stay out of Scottsdale! THAT PLACE IS NO BUENO!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by MTcX
as far as I know the law is that it cannot be heard from more than 50 ft away. I know because i got fined when i was playing my old system on Mill ave years ago.

One possible loophole you could play should you ever get in trouble is they should carry a DB meter with them, if they can no record it down with the proper device what your level was at 50 ft away you might have a chance of getting out of it.

I went to court to fight it since it was a $120 fine but remembered my court date wrong and was a day too late so ended up with a non appearance fine and totalled out at $190 for "Sound amplification violation".
He is correct!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The sad part about this, is that a lot of car's OEM sound systems surpass this law.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

you can't get a ticket for having the capability of being loud, just being loud in itself. Just like a cop can't pull over a Lamborghini for being a Lamborghini, but a cop can pull over a Lamborghini for going 100 MPH.

Be lucky you're in AZ, I have an article up at work about another state trying to pass a law that you can't have more than one amp, one 10 inch subwoofer, no more than like 600 watts, and will be a criminal ticket if you get cited or something.

I'll get a scanned copy of the article when I get back to work tomorrow........really sux though.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

IF its too loud you are too Old!!! Oh wait we are talking about laws. Hmmm, just use your discretion when to turn it up, Like at 4 am in Yelosubs neighborhood Turn it all the WAY UP. He is pretty cool about stuff like. Probably just a warning.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
IF its too loud you are too Old!!! Oh wait we are talking about laws. Hmmm, just use your discretion when to turn it up, Like at 4 am in Yelosubs neighborhood Turn it all the WAY UP. He is pretty cool about stuff like. Probably just a warning.
But I think AnnMarie might have a problem with it...
Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

^^^^That is true...I like my stuff LOUD and my wife likes it quiet, or even OFF...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

I found that article I was talking about before, here is a copy and paste of it:

A Pair of 10s Could Get Your Car Impounded In St. Louis, If Board of Aldermen Gets Its Way

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 -- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the city's Board of Aldermen passed an ordinance Friday which illegalizes the possession of large amplifiers and speakers and allows for the seizure of cars from drivers who play their stereos too loud.

Alderman Craig Schmid originated the proposal. While some aldermen see the bill as heavy-handed, the Post-Dispatch reported that the board easily had enough votes to pass the measure. In order to take effect, the ordinance would require the approval of St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay.

Specifically, the ordinance would prohibit playing a car's stereo at a "louder volume than is necessary for convenient, normal hearing."

The Post-Dispatch reported that the bill would also outlaw possessing or installing any car stereo with a speaker over a foot in diameter, having more than one 10-inch-or-greater speaker installed in the vehicle, having more than 10 individual speakers installed in a vehicle, having more than two individual amplifiers installed in a vehicle, and any amplifier with an output of over 300 watts.

Punishments for violation include impounding the vehicle, a $250 fine for the first offense, and $500 fines for subsequent offenses within a year, according to the paper.

The Mobile Enhancement Retailers Association (MERA) responded to the proposal with letters to Mayor Slay, the city's aldermen, and major local newspapers and television news stations. The letter included suggestions on rewording the ordinance to more specifically outline what constitutes a violation, eliminate the illegalization of certain equipment such as large speakers and amplifiers, and amend the penalties to eliminate the possibility of car seizure.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Here is another artical I found, thank god we don't live in Illinois:

Illinois Man Fighting Noise Ordinance

Monday, July 21, 2003 -- A Rock Island, Ill., man is fighting noise ordinances that allow law enforcement to tow violating vehicles away. Recently, he asked a federal judge to reconsider his ruling upholding the constitutionality of Rock Island's loud noise ordinance.

If successful, these increasingly popular ordinances that have threatened 12-volt businesses in Illinois, such as in Elgin and Chicago, could be no more.

David Lowery Jr., who with Barry Smith and Spencer Holliday challenged the ordinance, filed a motion Friday asking Judge Joe B. McDade to allow him time to find new attorneys and allow those attorneys to argue against a summary judgment upholding the ordinance.

Rock Island passed a noise ordinance in 1997, making it a violation to play music in a car so loud that it could be heard from 75 feet away. The ordinance allowed police to immediately impound cars. Individuals ticketed for the offense could get their cars back only after the case was heard by a hearing officer.

The plaintiffs claimed the ordinance violated their rights to free speech, and to due process because it took too long for alleged violators to get their cars back. The plaintiffs, who are black, argued that police targeted minority drivers.

Mr. Lowery now is pursuing the lawsuit alone. His car was impounded twice in 2000, and he wants $250,000 in personal compensation. He also seeks $25 million in damages from the city for people he claims had their cars impounded for violating the ordinance.

In September 2001, the city revised its sound ordinance, eliminating the impounding of vehicles stopped on a first offense and raised maximum fines from $200 to $300. The new ordinance provided a faster process for retrieving impounded cars.

Judge McDade ruled last month that the ordinances are constitutional, and that the city has the right to impound cars when people play their stereo systems too loud.

Mr. Lowery's request to the judge to reconsider is the first step in a formal appeal of Judge McDade's ruling. If the request is denied, Mr. Lowery could file an appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 AM
SL Member

"This song should be played at high volume, preferably in a residential area."