Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Vandals at UTI / AZ Weapon Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Vandals at UTI / AZ Weapon Laws?

Last night was a very bad night for UTI.

3 cars were vandalized(mine being one) and 1 of the 3 was stolen and a kid brought in a Sod-Off Shotgun

A kids 91 Saturn was literally STOLEN from the parking lot (witnessed this on tape)

My friends 99 Saturn was broken into and the radio was stolen. We think his car was mistaken for the other car because both were the same color.

And my car window was shattered, they tried to go for my stereo, but I havent had one in my car for almost 1 month now. And they damaged my rear bumper, it looks like they just backed into it.

Main reason for this topic... what is arizona's stand on weapons?
Last night a kid brought in a Sod Off Shotgun into school in his bookbag and was bragging about it. Quite frankly that just scares me that anyone in this state has a weapon like that and can just carry it around.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, it's sawed off.....

But I hate to hear that about your cars! If one was caught on tape, do the cops think they can find them?

I would bet that any weapon on campus is frowned upon, the administrators should know about it.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Damn that totally sucks. Was the kidwith the shotgun pointed it anyone or involved with the crime?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
I would bet that any weapon on campus is frowned upon, the administrators should know about it.
I'd think they(admins) would call the cops then there and have the kid arrested.

Sorry to hear about your car getting broken into..

Arizona Gun Laws Click here
Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry oldmanatee I still think we should run for office! LOL.....back on topic...

The kid was in class showing students (like just had his bookbag open) and he was bragging about it, and kept talking about it.

he did not point it at anyone nor do we know if it was involved in a crime, but he was arrested last night and from what we know he's in jail or at least a holding cell.

I personally sat down w/ an EM we looked at all 16 cameras outside at the school and at different angles you can clearly see the people getting in the car stealing it, and the get away car.

We think this hit was planned b/c there have been really shady witnesses stepping forward. The Avondale Cop who came to talk to me and my friend he said that last week another Saturn was stolen just north of UTI...so my guess is Saturns are now targets to be taken because i know the old model saturns you can steal them with a plastic key.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you rj for that link.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DB, what do you say we start with a small elected office, say President?

Even with the valedictorian in jail already, I'd report the shotgun incident. Does UTI have a bell tower?

However, I'd sleep lightly and keep a baseball bat near the door in case they come back.

(Not that I condone violence)
Old 01-26-2006, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
DB, what do you say we start with a small elected office, say President?

Even with the valedictorian in jail already, I'd report the shotgun incident. Does UTI have a bell tower?

However, I'd sleep lightly and keep a baseball bat near the door in case they come back.

(Not that I condone violence)
Oh they shotgun as been reported, he's in jail/holding cell from what we were told. I think I might start keeping weapons in my car for my protection. I just dont like it when I spend $23,000+ to attend a school and my car gets vandalized.

Yes I know some people will say well this school kids pay more yadda yadda, but Im referring to my safety, and I do NOT feel safe at this school.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT keep a gun in your car! Please!!!! Get a concealed carry permit and keep it with you! If you had had a gun in your car last night, it would be on the street today.

Not getting preachy or anything...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dezod_Boosted_STi

Oh they shotgun as been reported, he's in jail/holding cell from what we were told. I think I might start keeping weapons in my car for my protection. I just dont like it when I spend $23,000+ to attend a school and my car gets vandalized.

Yes I know some people will say well this school kids pay more yadda yadda, but Im referring to my safety, and I do NOT feel safe at this school.

Only problem about keeping weapons in your car to protect yourself is..
they get used against you... get stolen.. or get you in trouble with the local law enforcement.
I nice car alarm with something other than the standard 6 tone siren and something that brings attention to itself when it goes off helps too.
Just make sure it does not cry wolf all the time.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BAD idea. Very bad. Obviously, if they broke into peoples cars, the first thing they'd do when they see a weapon is grab it.

Second, I don't know if the link covered it (didn't read it), but a sawed off shotgun is illegal. Shotguns and rifles have to be a minimum length or else they will fall into a different category that may require a special permit to carry.

If someone wants your car, they will take it. And there is nothing you can do about it. Your best defence is to make your car less desirable than the next one. Park next to higher value cars. Park in well lit areas. Park where it will take some time to exit the parking lot. Park where a lot of people will be walking nearby. Get an alarm. Get a paging alarm. Don't go blasting music anywhere near where you are going to park for extended periods of time.

If this is becoming a common problem for your school, you should start petitioning the board to hire a security guard for the parking lot. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'd be hollerin from the rooftops about what are they going to do about security....You are paying a ton of $$ for more that an education....they promised to protect you, too.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBum
If someone wants your car, they will take it. And there is nothing you can do about it. Your best defence is to make your car less desirable than the next one. Park next to higher value cars. Park in well lit areas. Park where it will take some time to exit the parking lot. Park where a lot of people will be walking nearby. Get an alarm. Get a paging alarm. Don't go blasting music anywhere near where you are going to park for extended periods of time.

If this is becoming a common problem for your school, you should start petitioning the board to hire a security guard for the parking lot. Anything is better than nothing.
I park beside my friends 93 Porche and all my friends w/ VDub's which have considerable mod's done to them. We all park inbetween two light poles in the parking lot. We have gates that are closed from 230pm-800pm. And we park maybe about 40 yards away from them as well.

Not only is it a common problem, is ONGOING. 2 months ago a kid broke into someones car, stole their radio, and was trying to resell it at the school!

I appriciate everyone's input!
I DO plan on talking to the school today about seeing if we can get a security gaurd.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not too mention my friends Supra once and a while when he brings it in....

i just dont get this school and their security. Its almost more like they care about making the money.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its almost more like they care about making the money.
Welcome to the real world. It doesn't get much different from here on out. Sucks, huh?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you broke the code there.....
Old 01-27-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do not want your car stolen, I wouldn't recommend an alarm, they don't do too much. I know I hear an alarm and just keep walking. I am in line for a ravelco. It is an awesome anti theft device that will keep your vehicle from being started unless it is in there, all the wiring is tamper proof, and they guarantee it.

Anyway, that is why I never went to UTI, too many hooligans from out of state. They think they are bulletproof and it is crap. That school is and has always been bad news.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:55 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
If you do not want your car stolen, I wouldn't recommend an alarm, they don't do too much. I know I hear an alarm and just keep walking. I am in line for a ravelco. It is an awesome anti theft device that will keep your vehicle from being started unless it is in there, all the wiring is tamper proof, and they guarantee it.
those things are just as bad.. those can be bypassed just as easy as any alarm.
If they want the car they will take it one way or another.

I remember a couple years ago where they had alot of trucks stolen at one of the college campus. They just pulled in with tow trucks and towed it away.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Me and my friends used to disconnect one of the sparkplug
wires so it couldnt be started, dont help with stealing from
the inside but I rather loss a stereo than my car.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crispyxb
Me and my friends used to disconnect one of the sparkplug
wires so it couldnt be started, dont help with stealing from
the inside but I rather loss a stereo than my car.
Easier thing to do.. most 90% of the cars out there have a primary fuse for fuel pump in the main fuse box by your feet/knee. (or console for a saturn). Just pull the fuse and it don't run.

Quick Reply: Vandals at UTI / AZ Weapon Laws?