Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Well I might have to take my resignation after all

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Well I might have to take my resignation after all

Last Thrusday, I was down at ASU and I was driving in lot 59 and i pulled outta the parking lot and was driving off when this accord flew by me once i got to the end of the street a bike cop hits my window and tells me to turn off my car and get out... so now im sitting in handcuffs on the side of the street for "Racing" this accord... i was going 35 in a 25 and he blew past me... I was speeding not racing... newaz, I might lose my lisc. and get 8 points on my insc for " Exibition of speed/Racing" as well as getting a class one misdm. Somehow I always get the ____ end of the stick

well if i dont make it threw the courts ill be screwed ( Hopefully I will, suggestions appricated)

just thought it was my duty to offer a heads up incase i dont return

If not see ya all in 3 years when my record is clean again
Old 02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Dayuuuum! No love...I'm sorry to hear that...hoping things come around and you beat the system. Especially for some B.S. like that.

~F
Old 02-15-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

how can they prove that you were racing? Unless they get the guy driving the accord saying that he was racing you thats just bull____.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Wrong. The cop has all the evidence that is necessary to prove he was racing. I suggest you retain an attorney b/c street racing is one of the easier crimes to prove.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Racing

Unfortunatley it's his word against yours ,but ,Did he pull over the Honda and cite him too? If not then it will be harder to prove ther was any racing going on...
I beat a street racing ticket once back in the day on Whittier Blvd in Cali because the officer did not catch the other car and I was only going 8 miles over the posted limit, I still had to pay a speeding fine but it was better than a racing ticket !!!!
We have a member (Tim) that is a police officer ask him for a reccomendation on how to proceed with your defense.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Laws differ from state to state: Arizona Revised Statute 28-708: 1. "Drag race" means either:

(a) The operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other.

(b) The operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course and from the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

2. "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another vehicle or prevent another vehicle from passing.

Hence, whether or not the other driver was cited is largely irrelevant.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i think im screwed.. i may just take the charges and ask the judge for community sevice since even the record indicates that i was going only 35mph. hopefully he will let me keep my record clean.

Yes he cited both of us
Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anybody know how the court system works in a case like this? do i get to meet with the judge and plea for a lesser sentence?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you go to court, without a Lawyer yau are crazy.
And I hope you have all the luck in the world.

Please get a Lawyer, or your a$$ is toast!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read the above post and reference my first post! Unfortunately, I don't do criminal law but I can give you the name of a good attorney that does.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok pm me the name please
Old 02-16-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks, sorry to hear that man. i almost got my tc march 23 2005 (my 19th bday) but march 13 i got a dui. 5k later i got off with wreckless driving. $400 fine and 8 points on my license. the rest of the cash went to bail and lawyer. instead i had to wait 9 months and 8 days to get my tc. but at least i finaly got one!!! best of luck to ya.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member

My only advice, get a lawyer!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep. Get a lawyer. At least have a consulation on the consequences of a racing conviction and what he'll charge to get you out of it.

Unless you have faith that you alone will do fine against a judge. I ended up opting out of my lawyer because he charged $1000 to go with me 2 hours away and I believed that I didn't do anything wrong (following too closely).

I got the judge to drop my ticket. He honestly asked the cop if someone following the limit and following a split in the road that CURVES would have time to stop on wet pavement for a crosswalk that there was no warning for. He said no.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you should plead not guilty, and schedule a court date.. when that date nears, re schedule it.. do this again and again until they won't do so any more.. this is in hopes the cop will forget the events, and hopefully not show up.

when i went to court for my biggest ticket ( Exhibition of speed, excessive speed, racing... i was racing, he caught me doing 85 on bell and 59th at 130 am, racing an eclipse on my way home form speedworld :D) in glendale.. i plead guilty.. i ended up getting a $500 fine, 11 points on my lisense, and 2 years of "probation" where if i get a ticket for anything (defensive driving will not work) within 2 years, i'll lose my lisense... so far its been 1 year 7 months and i'm still ticket free!

anyways.. there was a 17 year old kid there that had hit a palm tree in a wrx, while intoxicated.. he was there fighting a dui, wreckless driving, underage consumption, public intoxication, and 2 others i can;t remember.. but it was let off with a smaller penalty then me because he chose to fight it.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If I had pulled out of a parking lot and someone sped passed me fast enough for a cop bystander to think I was racing him I'd raise a little more hell then just saying I'm sol....

Seems to me there have to be other factors for him to think racing was going on versus the other guy just speeding....

Otherwise Id hire a lawyer and fight it....thats absolute bs...esp going 35mph..thats a nice race!!! Speeding I understand but Id never settle for that much a blow.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvnurs9
If I had pulled out of a parking lot and someone sped passed me fast enough for a cop bystander to think I was racing him I'd raise a little more hell then just saying I'm sol....

Seems to me there have to be other factors for him to think racing was going on versus the other guy just speeding....

Otherwise Id hire a lawyer and fight it....thats absolute bs...esp going 35mph..thats a nice race!!! Speeding I understand but Id never settle for that much a blow.
It happens. I had a friend in high school that was driving home from work one night and got pulled over for racing. He pulled away from the light with a car next to him, driving normally. They both got pulled over, and the other guy said they were racing. He got out of it, by taking dyno sheets, quarter mile time, motor specs, etc. and showed the judge that he couldn't possibly have been behind the other car if he was racing. ('67 chevy stepside, small block w/ dual carbs, etc.)

I don't think you can use that defense with a tC, but if the other guy said he was racing you may be in trouble, whether you were or not.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah no matter what happens at least i KNOW that i wasnt drivng drunk... i didnt kill anbody.. and i have all my body parts in tact... dont worry kiddos ill get throguh this S#$%
Old 02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
n7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

that sucks a$$ bj!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

so if you lose youre license you're going to sell the tC and get a Huffy or something?

Quick Reply: Well I might have to take my resignation after all