Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Well I might have to take my resignation after all

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill keep the tC my mom will prob drive it and then mabye i can still be part of the group... i figure the worst case is that i lose my lisc. then ill keep all the money ill be making not paying for gas and insc. to pimp out my car... i figure thinking negitivly isnt going to get me anywhere ... yeah ill prob have to resort to my bike... but around college thats common.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where's (Tim)YellowSub when you need him!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rj
Tim's a cop and should be allowed to stay neutral. Being sworn to uphold the law and all...

Besides... BJ says he wasn't racing. If he was, we all know what kind trouble you're asking for (and would greatly deserve). I'm totally with a severe crack-down on street racing but, not guilty is still not guilty. Just talk to an attorney BJ. The cop will have to tell the whole story and, if you were coming out of a parking lot and only up to 35....

in fact, I like what Dudehitt said about the test results. Go measure from where you entered the street to where he clocked you at 35. Then (at a track) lay out the same stretch and see how fast you SHOULD have been going. If it's much faster it might work again.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 PM
rj
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbcrud
Originally Posted by rj
Tim's a cop and should be allowed to stay neutral. Being sworn to uphold the law and all...
No.. I was saying where is he for his input on this. He would have a understanding of the codes etc better than any of us trying to give our interpitation of the laws.
He still can be a neautral party.. just one that has a wee bit more "technical" first hand knowledge.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rj
Originally Posted by bbcrud
Originally Posted by rj
No.. I was saying where is he for his input on this. He would have a understanding of the codes etc better than any of us trying to give our interpitation of the laws.
He still can be a neautral party.. just one that has a wee bit more "technical" first hand knowledge.
I see your point RJ. I saw Tim this afternoon and he just doesn't want to sound like a harbinger of doom for BJ.

It's a judgment call for the cop, his version against BJs. If the cop sticks to his story I would think the ticket/charge would stick. Unless you can cast good old "reasonable doubt" on what he interpreted. Get a lawyer, try to kill this in pre-trial but show them you're ready to take it to the house.

BJ, since you weren't racing, fight like hell and be smart about it. Test theories before asking your lawyer to believe them and always err to the prosecutions side so no one can say you stretched it. One of the most corrupt institutions in the United States is our legal system and you need to play smart to have the best chance to win. Don't count on getting a fair Judge; they're all tired of the stories about street racing and the tragedies it has created, focus on showing them that they are wrong and that you're not going out without a fight. They don't get extra points for creating trials; you might get a lesser charge or even get it kicked.

Geez.... I feel like starting a lawyer joke thread now.

But I won't.

Okay, just one....

Naaah, better not.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once again Mark comes through with great advice and analysis. I also think some of it may have to do with the other guy. Some people are so stupid they will immediately admit to racing. Doesn't mean BJ was racing, or even that he knew the other guy was trying to race him.

Good luck BJ.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I'm here but probably not a lot of help...It's in these situations where I like to remain silent...I personally do not know this police officer or his integrity therefore I don't know who is telling the truth...I'm not sure why he, or any police officer, would lie or what he would have to gain out of it but who knows...Does it happen? I am sure it does, but not me or the guys on my squad...The only people who really know what happened that night are you, the other car, and the police officer...(Oh yea, God knows too) I personally don't write traffic tickets, unless absolutely necessary...I no longer do normal patrol, thank God. You do admit to speeding but not to racing. You said both of you stopped, if he was way ahead of you how did they stop him? Whether you were doing 35 or 85 it really doesn't matter when it comes to the racing statute...I believe Jurisdoc posted the racing laws in one of his earlier posts...

FYI, all city's in the state are cracking down on speed racers/drag racing...Too many unnecessary deaths...We know this because it's all over the news, therefore the courts are handing out stiffer penalties...

I am not sure a lawyer will help you...Lawyers are not cheap and may end of costing an arm and a leg...Since it is a criminal ticket, you will meet with the public defender at your hearing...They may offer you a plea which is usually a lot better than the penalty you are facing...I believe if you go to court, dressed appropriately, and represent yourself as a respecful person you might get some leniency from the judge...But then again, you may get FUBAR'd...

As far as the cop not showing up to court, it happens but not often...Since I work for Phoenix, I know that if we miss court it's a written reprimand...Plus a majority of the time it is on overtime, overtime means a minimum of 3 hours at time and a half...Easy money in other words...

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted...
Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. I don't see any reason for police to lie and tend to believe they are doing the best they can. I also tend to think a lot of them aren't the nicest people in the world, but my viewpoint is probably shaded based on former officers I have worked with and people I went to college with that became police officers. What I'm trying to say is I know that it's an incredibly tough job emotionally, again based on people I wnt to college with. Right or wrong, the officer thought people were racing (based on something he saw and/or was told by the other driver) and did what needed to be done. The only hope I can think of is in showing the court that you are a responsible citizen, and trying to get them to understand how the officer was mistaken. (not easy, but dressing nice for court in clothes that fit can't hurt)
Old 02-17-2006, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member

well, take my advice:

after my speeding tickets i decided that spending the money on a speeding ticket is bad.

however, investing that amount on a great radar detector is an excellent choice. at least that way you only have to pay once, without the hassle of points on your license, going to court, etc.

BUT THIRDLY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!: DON'T SPEED. I know what you're thinking, common sense. Sure it is! But us young guys just never want to listen to it.

Save the speed for the track. Whether it's GT class, autoX, or the 1/4. It's cheaper in the end and doesn't cost nearly as much when you include speeding tickets plus higher insurance rates.

Back to your original post. Best of luck to you. And when you speak to the prosecuter make certain that you don't let him get under your skin. He'll try anything to provoke you in order to give you a worse sentencing.

-Best Wishes.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

ok, Im gonna play the other side of the fence here. If he pulled both of you over and you say you where not racing and the other guy says yes. Then you are kinda screwed. Sounds to me you where racing here.
I agree 100% with Tim. People are always wanting to race. I agree that something needs to be done. People are getting killed by street racers. I know I would more then mad if one of my kids or wife was killed cause someone couldnt take it to the track.
If you where not racing then good luck and I hope you can prove you where not. If you where racing, Once again good luck, and hope you learned your lesson.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

There does seem to be hesitency in your voice. If I wasn't racing, the cop would have not heard the end of it at the scene. No one puts cuffs on me for no reason. ASU cops are quite hard us younger guys with nice cars, that is one of the reasons that I got rid of my M3. I got sick of being pulled over every Friday and Saturday night in Tempe. "Have you been drinking tonight?," "No sir, I'm underage," "Alright, have a nice night." I can't tell you how many times I got that. One night when I got pulled over the cop actually asked me, and this is a direct quote, "do you have any weapons in the car, such as: guns, knives or hand grenades?" I thought that was out of line.

After all the ranting... good luck. If you didn't do it, fight for your rights. If you did, don't be disappointed with what comes from it and be happy if you get a reduced sentence.