Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT
View Poll Results: would you recommend UTI ?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
skip and attend SAM Racing
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

WYO TECH OR UTI ? Input please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WYO TECH OR UTI ? Input please.

Hey guys and gals I am thinking bout moving to Arizona to attend UTI. I know there are a few of you guys on here that are attending or have attended. I would like to know what you thought about the school and for those of you that have graduated how easy was it to get employed ? K a bit about me, I have been going to school for welding and have done all my pre requisites for welding and for a two year automotive program. The thing is I dont want to attend school here anymore, there is not much to do in my town and its a go no were type of town. I can move to a bigger city like Seattle or Portland but would rather go further and to a nicer school.

I have seen a lot of the friends I have grown up with settle for ____ jobs, or go off to school just to drop out. I have a few that have gotten out of town and are doing good. Most of my friends that have done something with themselves either went off to a military branch or have left town for good paying jobs. i have seen a lot the people I graduated high school start having kids and settling for the local mills and ware house work. I have seen friends get involved in drugs and the partying has taken over their lives. I on the other hand have a dream and goals that I would like to accomplish.

I have been in the phoenix area before. I don't remember much though since I was younger. I am still a young guy so I can make things happen if I put my mind to it. My goals are to attend UTI than when I am done with the program look into getting ASE certified. I also plan after that program to attend School of Automotive Machinist in Texas. The reason I would like to do Arizona first and the reason I would like to attend both schools is because I would like to get a job related to the racing scene. I understand it is going to take some time to get their but I have 100 percent support from my parents and family so that is definitely a plus. My best friend is also moving down to Arizona but through his work. But we plan on some day moving back home when we have our educations complete and start up our own business, geared towards the import industry to keep it going.

I have a few questions for all you in the area, I have automotive experience as I have worked at Napa, AutoZone, Sears automotive and a few other shops. i have done pretty much everything from alignments to motor swaps. I was wondering how the job market it over their ? Since I will need to find a job in order to live on my own. I would really like to work in a shop working on cars or selling parts. I am just looking to expand my knowledge and experience. I also have welding experience so I can look for something in that neighborhood as well.

I know I wrote a lot so to those of you that took some time to read this I appreciate it. I just wanted you guys to know more were I am coming from. I am not planning on going down their just to get away from home to party, those are not my intentions. I am looking to get my life together and grow up and do something with myself.

(UPDATE) 4/17/09 UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 4/17

Ok so I got accepted to UTI, but I am having second thoughts after my instructor talked to me and told me he would recommend WYO tech for what I am interested in. He told me that he went to UTI and did not recommend it to me and to go to wyo tech if I did not stay and do his program. I dont know what route to go anymore as I looked into WYO tech when I was younger but did not look back since. So after I got off the phone with the representative from UTI I decided to check out the WYO tech web site and well they seem to offer more programs specialized towards the performance aspect of the industry, witch is were I am trying to go with my career. They also encourage to be your own boss rather than be an employee. anyone on here gone to WYO tech ? I would like to hear some input please.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am also looking to get more involved with a good car club and meet friends that are into the same things. car scene down here is going downhill and everyone that has something impressive only bring it out a few times a year.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I went to the Avondale campus. It has its ups and downs. If you do decide to go to UTI, I HIGHLY recommend that you take Ford FACT after. I learned more in the 5 months of FACT than I did in the 12 months of UTI.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the other programs they offer ? i have no problem with ford but what bout the mercedes or porsche ?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Porsche is very hard to get into, and it's not even as good as the FACT training. If you want to work for Porsche, you have to have that training, but a lot of other manufacturers won't give a crap about it.
Mercedes wasn't offered when I was there, so no clue on that.
Audi has great training, that's another one of the top programs.
BMW training is also hard to get into, but you're essentially signing up for **** camp .
Volvo is everyone's back up. Then everyone that gets into it says they wish they made it their first.

But FACT is by far the most advanced training program. Almost all manufacturers will recognize it and it's VERY hard to get into if you're not attending UTI. If you're attending UTI, you basically sign the paper and you're in. I got a job at a Paul Miller dealership (Porsche, Bentley, Rolls, Audi, Land Rover, BMW, and Honda + they frequently deal with Lamborghini) because of the FACT training. I had literally zero work experience and they hired me right away.

As far as the job market in Arizona, there are a LOT of dealerships and Phoenix is rapidly expanding. When I moved to Avondale, my apartment complex was just about as far west as possible in the Phoenix area...by the time I moved 18 months later, it had expanded another 10-15 miles west.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ask aen too. He's currently going there
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice i would really like to get into something like that. the ford program was what my buddy told me to do also. he was signed up ready to go their and then he got offered a job working on windmills for good cash so he packed up his bags and took the job. he makes good money and all but he still wishes he would have gone to school. me on the other hand was offered a chance to work at Hanford nuclear chemical depot ( were the nuclear bomb we dropped in Hiroshima came from ) for 29/ hour starting out . I turned it down cause i know I will fall in love with the money and forget my dreams. It happened to my parents and a lot of people I know. I would rather do something that will make me happy the rest of my life. thanks a lot guys. I would most likely go for a dealership job, I plan on going down there in the summer time to go look for work before i go down. Think a dealer will give me a job because im going to school their ?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, I'm currently going to school for criminal justice, and what you're doing is actually my dream... I really love cars, but Law Enforcement is what I know. I really have very little experience except for working on my car a little bit. I'm watching this thread because the path you're taking sounds like something I might want to do....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shupes31
wow, I'm currently going to school for criminal justice, and what you're doing is actually my dream... I really love cars, but Law Enforcement is what I know. I really have very little experience except for working on my car a little bit. I'm watching this thread because the path you're taking sounds like something I might want to do....
same here in regards to the dream...

hey scikotic, just think, if you did come out to phoenix, you'd be local to todd... lol
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha i know man. That will be sweet since I will be running his kit really really soon. I have almost everything. I have asked him if he needed any help in the shop I would kill to get a job working with Todd building some sick ___ products, I am not counting on it though but it would be sick. Maybe I can get a job at a dealership or local shop and see if he needs an extra hand everyonce in a while. That is the reason that I have taken welding as I would like to some day build turbo systems for our cars and be able to tune and do some crazy stuff with them as well. thanks a lot guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i recommend it. i graduated from uti 12 yrs ago. and now i can finally afford to do a few mods to my car
Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what program you take ? what did you like about it ?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

i just read over all of this and my room mate is contemplating on doing the same. Good luck with your decision bro.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man were are you located ? what is he thinking bout doing ? just get more involved in the racing part of the industry ?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

i think he was thinking about going to the one in houston to work at a dealership
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats tight man. I have heard that AZ has a good import and racing scene.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just my 2cents.

I am not trying to knock on you but i would think about this long and hard.The economy is ____ right now and the job market for mechanics no es bueno.I have a handful of friends that all have degrees form UTI and cant get a job to save there lives.Maybe the job market will be better after you graduate,but i personally would wait a lil while.Good luck with your decisions and i hope it works out for ya man.

This is a local car club that i hang out with.They are a good group of people.If you do come down feel free to stop by and come hang out
Teamv-locity.com
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my opinion. the job market for mechanics are pretty good right now. my shop is even hiring. do it. make the move. dont sit around wasting time thinking about it. i took auto and diesel. i make a living working on diesels. its where the moneys at
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lynks
Just my 2cents.

I am not trying to knock on you but i would think about this long and hard.The economy is poop right now and the job market for mechanics no es bueno.I have a handful of friends that all have degrees form UTI and cant get a job to save there lives.Maybe the job market will be better after you graduate,but i personally would wait a lil while.Good luck with your decisions and i hope it works out for ya man.

This is a local car club that i hang out with.They are a good group of people.If you do come down feel free to stop by and come hang out
Teamv-locity.com
Ya I am definitely taking time to think about it. But you also gotta remember I will be done with my AAS in welding before i move from here, meaning if I cannot find a job as a mechanic I can always weld for a living. I just started working again so I am saving my money. I still have to finish my car though. I am just tired of the small Community college and small town. I plan on getting in with a race team after my schooling is done. will see though. I am not trying to become a regular OE dealer mechanic. thanks guys .
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UTI...
Take some Keflex and the infection will go away.

Quick Reply: WYO TECH OR UTI ? Input please.