Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT
View Poll Results: would you recommend UTI ?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
skip and attend SAM Racing
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

WYO TECH OR UTI ? Input please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I suck at math horribly. I did an Automotive math 111 and damn that siht was hard. But I did pass it, I spent most of my time doing homework than the time I was in class. I have all my pre recs done to start the auto program here locally next fall but I really need to get out of the area, I hate the town I have grown up in now. I registered to go to WYO tech starting school on September 29. I talked to a representative from both schools and the one from WYO tech was less pushy and a lot cooler of a guy. Plus we took a cruise around town and talked to some of the guys that graduated from WYO tech locally and they had plenty of good things to say. So that is were I will be attending school. I am taking the motorsports and chassis, hot rod and upholstery programs that they offer. Best of all that is 9 months worth of specialty programs and I will still pay less than attending UTI. That is the main thing for going that route as I am trying to get into a specialty field and own my own business one day. Also I will be getting my associates degree after I am done with it all. Best of all if I finish school with good grades and attendance my uncle is going to reward me with 10g worth of snap on tools, witch equates to 20G of snap on tools since you get 50% off all snap on equipment once you are enrolled in the program for the year you are in and the following year. So it does not seem bad to me. I plan on starting my own bushiness doing upholstery and then going from their and let it evolve. thanks for everyone opinions and help you guys are good people.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hopefully wyotech works out for you im going to UTI and interning at WORLD racing in torrance so i get the best of both worlds
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya i know your lucky man. Rob was saying some good things bout you the other day I called him. I was talking to him about this very thing.. How long is your internship ? He helped me out with trying to get on with a race team. What are you planning on doing after the internship ? Is it fun working for them ? let me know some details man, me and you have the same goals it seems like man. Nice to find other people going to school for similar things.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I met the guy that teaches the upholstry program at Wyo tech he is very genuine, and the work his students put out is first rate.

When you can't take Laramie any longer take a cruise across the border to Ft. Collins aka Ft. Fun, it is a whole different world than Laramie.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
When you can't take Laramie any longer take a cruise across the border to Ft. Collins aka Ft. Fun, it is a whole different world than Laramie.
+1 on that... Laramie has nothing compared to Ft. Collins... just watch out and try not to identify yourself as being from Wyoming when you're around CSU...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM
SL Member

I went to the boston campus... my feeling on UTI is its alot more glamorous when they are trying to get you to go there then when you are actually there.. i dont want to no recommend it but its exhausting they dont put you in the best environment to succeed. You have to options for classes 6:30 A.M. to 1 P.M. or 2P.M. to 8:30P.M. i was in the morning group had to wake up at about 5:15 every morning go to school til 1 work from 1:30 to 10 everynight just to be able to pay for rent and all the other bills that come with it... its just completly exhausting.. and too get into any of the MSATS you pretty much have to have a perfect record with a 4.0 and perfect attendance.. there is so much put on too you to not do anything wrong... most of the msats wont even look at your app if they see you have any accidents or speeding tickets.. plus with all of this they talk about all the money you will be making i work at a bmw dealership now.. not as a tech.. but these guys arent making nearly as much as UTI tells you, you could be making... UTI told me if i went through the BMW msat i would come out making around 50k a year... and when i got to the level of a master tech i could be making close to 100k... i cant guarantee you none of the guys in my shop now make close to 100k and there are a hand full of mastertechs... i bet most of them are barely making over 50k... my feeling on UTI is its just like a comm coll... all the kids that dont know exactly what they want to do or just are lazy or dont care go there they will literally take anyone that applies... and half the kids i was in school with didnt give a ____ and wasted my class time while i was trying to learn... not to say other people didnt have good experiences at UTI but mine wasnt very sucessful... haha but if cars are what you really love and you think its a career you want to be doing for the rest of your life then go for it....
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You would have been much happier with the evening class. The first two hours of the class aren't spent waking up.

And it's not just the MSATS that look at your driving record. When you try to get a job, every dealer will run a check. They have to insure you because you will be driving the customer vehicles on a daily basis.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed. it wasn't the experience that ithoght it would be, the classes were way too long and all the instructors frowned upon people that aren't shooting for dealerships. I was a premed student prior to, though that would have earned some sort of respect in another college, this school looked down upon that, always asking me why i'm there; like i'm wasting their time and my own.

i never understood that, and no i didn't walk in as a pompous douche

Msats that look at your driving record is a given though, stop driving like an idiot and you'll be fine. they put emphasis on doing nothing wrong because that's what companies look for nowadays, the best of the best. the ones that actually try.

another gripe i always had was that some of the instructors have noidea what they were talking about. forinstance, some would get mad when you asked questions, specific questions or snap back with "we don't teach that in this school"

air conditioning: the instructor was talking about thermodynamics and the laws of. i proceeded to ask a couple of questions on thermodynamics and how it all works, he was wrong. i knew something was fishy from the moment that he started talking about it. (i took 3 thermodynamics classes in college prior to coming to uti) he proceeded to tell me that this isn't something that everybody wants to know and that i should keep those questions to myself. Most of the class screamed "yea!" and "that's college ____ stop asking that ____" "do you think we're in college or something?!" followed by bouts of laughter and such.

the worst part of it though is that for the rest of the class he hated me, he would give out test answers when i went to the bathroom, would try his hardest to get me to rephase, and refer to me whenever he wasn't sure about something that somebody else asked as the smartie that knew everything....i answered everything accurately. lol that ____ed him off hardcore
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

AEN, does Ms Beach still work there?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope. i was refering to bachrodt though

wait is ms beach the audi instructor?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

No, she teaches the intro class and service writing.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya that is what I started to hear, everything changed when the local community college instructor that graduated from UTI told me to really consider WYO tech for what I am wanting to learn after he went their for spring break and sat in classes for 2 weeks. That meant a lot and changed my decision. I am now enrolled at WYO tech laramie campus so we will see how that goes. I dont want to work for a dealership I could care less bout it I want to open my own shop some day. Those are my goals and that is what I will stick too. I am trying to get on with a good race team after wyo tech for the experience before going solo.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM
SL Member

I have the same gripes... they didnt necessarily hire the best teachers they just hired guys that were good at working on cars... that doesnt at all mean they know how to teach... i had a guy that moved here from spain haha... mr.gomez... that was a hard 3 weeks its really tough trying to learn when you cant really understand what the teacher is saying... i thought that was really difficult...
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will say this though, uti is looked upon higher than wyotech.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by aen
i will say this though, uti is looked upon higher than wyotech.
yeah, sad as it is UTI is placed higher than wyotech from employer's view.

the only manufacturer that i know of that is affiliated with wyotech is honda.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not gonna work at a dealership so what would that matter if dealers dont look at wyo tech like that ? I am a welder also, I am about 5 months from my aas. If I wanted to get a job because my goals aiint working out for me than by all means I would get a job welding. Everyone keeps saying that dealers look for this and that and well I dont care what dealers are looking for cause I am not trying to get stuck in a shop getting paid ____. I would rather make something of it. I am young and dont have any kids and dont have a problem living away from my home. I am trying to get a job that I will love for the rest of my life not something that I am going to wake up in the morning and dread going to work.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok sorry.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no need to apoligize man. Others will find it useful that might be in the same boat.