Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

XB GSXR1000 Possible install on XB "190BHP+"?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default XB GSXR1000 Possible install on XB "190BHP+"?????

So If it can be done on a smart car I ask myself whynot in an XB?
So I have contacted this company and I am waiting on a reply.
If anyone knows of a company doing this stateside please hit me up.

Check out the site: http://www.smartuki.com/
or you tube smart car gxr1000 there are some pretty tight ones.

I am awair that it would require quite a bit of work but I am sure it is doable there is so much room back there. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Below is a pasted copy of some info on that site:

If that is not enough, the Suzuki GSXR is one of the worlds most popular tuned motorbikes. There is a huge catalogue of performance tuning parts available for anyone that needs that little bit more. Conventional tuning with ignition, cams, fuel injection mapping etc can increase the horsepower to over 190 BHP. Add a Turbo and or Nitrous (N20) kit and 300+ BHP is a realistic possibility. We are planning to build a nitrous enhanced Smart Roadster Coupe in the future and we’ll take it to the drag strip to show it off. Watch out for the video soon.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you going to convert your toaster into RWD for this?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only issue I see with doing that is the weight difference. Your power to weight ratio is going to change quite a bit going from the smart car to the xb, and I don't know if it would even be worth it in the end. You would probably be better off just turbo'ing the stock motor. If you are doing it just to do something different/new though, then go for it
Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, now that I have seen their completed setup, you could run this FWD, but you would have to rotate the gearbox to have the tires rotating the right way... but it would be way more interesting/cool to see a rear engine RWD xB...
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cuthbert
The only issue I see with doing that is the weight difference. Your power to weight ratio is going to change quite a bit going from the smart car to the xb, and I don't know if it would even be worth it in the end. You would probably be better off just turbo'ing the stock motor. If you are doing it just to do something different/new though, then go for it
this set up has availability for 190BHP and capable of 300+, i dont see a power to wieght issue.... i say do it... i wanna do one of the smart cars
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my only concern would be the max torque specs on that motor and also what RPM it hits at... the gsx weighs about 550 with a driver, the smartfortwo car weighs about 1900 with a driver, and the xB weighs around 2400 with a driver, so there is a significant power to weight difference when getting off the line...

my guess is that you will have to do like 8-10k launches to get any decent pull off the line which is going to wear out the clutch really fast...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

on a stock 1000 it has 80lb torque witch is only 25lbs less, not to bad, and with some mods and an upgraded clutch i dont think it would be tooo bad. or just do the GSX 1300 which sees 128.4lbs of torque at 7500rpm(http://mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2000/bus_dyno.htm)...just an idea
Old 06-14-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with a 99-00 Hayabusa motor. Substaintally more horsepower, lots of aftermarket bolt-on's and they have ooodles of torque.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Yah I would definatly make it a rear wheel drive.
The set up they have for the smart car is a three day drive in drive out bolt on. and of course all the lines and junk. I am sure it would be a project but there are a few thing to think about.
I would go with a Hyabusa but I can't find quite the setup these guys have in europe. As far as weight and all that the smart car weight 400lb less than the xb but it also has a smaller motor that once removed would then adjust the weight closer to what I'd need.
If I did this I am sure I'd loose a few commadaties like AC and stuff like that, but when You get 190 to 300 HP in an XB ITS GONNA BE A RIOT.!! Anywho thanks for all you input. If anyone knows of any links to any shops that are doing these upgrades in the state to the smart car please post. I would like to work with someone who has work through the bugs on the "smart car" so I can have a smoother build on the XB..
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now i'm interested too...
Old 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BAMFXB
I would go with a Hyabusa but I can't find quite the setup these guys have in europe.
When I had my bike shop, we did put a couple of Hayabusa motors in GSXR 600's. The width of the cylinders were a bit wider and had to trim the inside of the frame spar to get the Busa motor to fit. The Suzuki mounts on the motor are all the same except for the bolt holes on the cylinders. We had to fabricate a bracket to move the mounting plate about 1/4". So knowing this information I don't believe you would have any issues using the GSXR mounting frame to get the Busa motor to fit.

The only reason I suggested the Busa motor is on the 99-00 model there was no limiter on top speed and truly could break 200mph. I know Kawasaki could with the ZX's but the Busa motors did it effortlessly.
Specs are....
Busa motor 99ft-lb@6,750rpm
GSXR 1000 motor 80 ft lb at 8,000 rpm

It's your call.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

This would be cool, but it seems like some work is needed.
A lot of sandrails use gixxer motors, maybe that could be a start point for your research???

Also, I don't really understand all the numbers. Is the horsepower/torque values measured at the crank or at the wheels? If at the wheels, then I'm pretty sure a bike would have different numbers than a car. The motor on a bike is spinning a front sprocket, chain, then a rear sprocket that's connected to one wheel, whereas the motor on a car would have to spin axles and 2 wheels???
Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Horsepower and torque numbers that are normally given are stated from the sprocket unless stated otherwise. Significant loss happens between the sprocket, chain and then to the wheel.

GSXR 1000 = 998cc
Hayabusa motor = 1298 cc

Busa motors can handle more performance modifications as the crank and connecting rods can accept the added stress. There are alot more turbo Hayabusas out there than GSXR 1000's
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesfg49
I would go with a Hyabusa but I can't find quite the setup these guys have in europe.
The only reason I suggested the Busa motor is on the 99-00 model there was no limiter on top speed and truly could break 200mph. I know Kawasaki could with the ZX's but the Busa motors did it effortlessly.
Specs are....

It's your call.

I'm not to sure If I'd even be interested in going 200 in an XB, but yah thanks for the input. Basically once I get back to the states I'm gonna look into it hard core It will just be a matter of talking the wife into apersonal loan for about 12+K we shall see.
Either way I'm Juiced about the project..
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

*watching*
Old 06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Old 06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesfg49
Specs are....

It's your call.

I'm not to sure If I'd even be interested in going 200 in an XB, but yah thanks for the input. Basically once I get back to the states I'm gonna look into it hard core It will just be a matter of talking the wife into apersonal loan for about 12+K we shall see.
Either way I'm Juiced about the project..
i would be very interested in helping with this project any way i can...even if it is just holding the flashlight...lol
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any partucular reason you are choosing a motorcycle motor? or is it just for the high rpm band?

because if its just for the rpm a s2000 motor or a 20b rotory motor would achive the same thing with more horsepower and more tq
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Here is my thing. I have been thinking of either a 2nd gen rx7 motor turbed the hell out, or a scubaroo motor. Here in lies the issue. I would have to make it a rear whell drive car with the engine in the front. that would require an ish load of work.
Now the other day I was doikin around and stumbled on those famous smart car you tube videos of the smart car spanking a ferarri and ruling the track. Then I thought, as Dane Cook so wisley put it: "why not me?". So I did some reserch and found a compay in the UK that does this exact mod and it is a matter of driving your car in and they install it in afew days and you drive it out. So I was hoping to be able to use either the same kid on the XB or find someone that could make it as easy as it seems to be in th UK.
Yes I am awaire that it would be a long shot. but hey I thought I'd post this thread and see what I come up with.

So if anyone knows of a shop that could do this in the states. I'd be willing to bet that they would have a LONG line of XB owners wanting the ***** that we have been wanting in these cars since inseption..
I'd be game to put anything in this XB that would get me around 200+HP. So long as it costs around 15k or less. plus I think this would make it a pretty unique car. engine in the rear and all.
Oh sh@t I didn't even think of that. I'd have a huge trunk in the front hehe

If I had the money I'd throw a lambo v-12 F-it How about a Zonda engine. hehe.
Lets get realistic here: Raise your hands if you'de buy a kit for about 15k to instal in your XB that would give it 190-300BHP with over 100-120lb of torque. Installing a Hayabusa motor of a Ninja1400 would give you that. (if tuned and turboed right) To do this I need a good fabricator that likes the following idea.
No really this is a project that is gonna have to stay under 15k or so. I'm looking for a fabricator that would like to set up a KIT for this XB convertion. Smartuki has done this on the smart car. I have a friend who is a cert motor cycle mechanic and Now I need to locate a fabricator.
There is a possibilty of makeing some good buisness here.
So If any one has any sugjestions of a local fabricator please reply. Otherwise the other thread is for talking about the motor side of things.
And just to give a ball park of what I am looking for here:

INSTALLED

and her is what ZCARS came up with for the mini cooper.:

As you can see it is gonna be a pretty in depth setup. So I need to get ahold of a good fabricator. Ultimatly A kit that DIYers could do would be best to come up with then we could just sell them outright. Anyone interested or knows of a person in need of a project.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I might actually buy an xB to do this to it.

Quick Reply: XB GSXR1000 Possible install on XB "190BHP+"?????