Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

window tint update?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

If you were to contact Senator Murphy, I'm sure he will agree... but yes, this has passed. The language of the original bill was that it was to go into effect immediately.

As soon as the override was passed in both houses, the bill effectively became law.

I'm getting much of my information from people who are directly involved with the passing of the bill.

There will likely be a public act released this week detailing the changes. The IL vehicle code you linked to is out of date. Look at how long it took this bill to pass, government moves slowly, so they're going to take a while before the vehicle code is rewritten.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone know of a reputable place to get tints done in the 60477/tinley park/ orland park/ palos/frankfurt/mokena/oak forest area?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

newspaper finally had it in todays issue regarding the changed law; i'm definately going 35 all around and removing the 3% on the back 3 windows in the spring ( i can finally see backing out of my driveway this way lol)
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Told you guys it was done.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=096-0815
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM

Question Let's Clarify...

I have been following this thread for the last few months - I am not clear on what xB owners need to do to get the front windows tinted and be legal. I have the OEM privacy glass on the everything behind the front doors. Is the glass on the back hatch around 3%? - and if so does it need to be changed to 30%-35% to match the back doors? I have left my front windows stock and would like to have them tinted to 35% which will match the back doors. Can I just roll into a shop and have the two fronts done 35% and be legal or do I have to have the rear hatch stripped and also done in 35% so everything the same? Can someone clarify this? I am sure I am not the only one not clear on the new law.
I appreciate the help on this.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yes! i was hoping and just waiting for this to be done. i got pulled over awhile back a week after i got mine on in the summer. i had 35% and got pulled over. but he gave me a warning and said it wasnt too bad. felt like 35% on a flint mica tC wasnt dark enough (just after being pulled over for it lol) so i had the shop put another layer on to make it close to 20%. so now i have it darker and came out to 25-23% i guess? so last week i got pulled over for the same reason. got another warning cause i acted like i didnt know and that i was sorry i did it and told him i was going to take it off this that same weekend? maybe thats why he just gave me a warning, but who knows. now im just terrified. i roll my windows down everytimeeee i see a cop lol. i want our cops to know about this as soon as possible cause i feel like the next time i get pulled over...its a ticket. i got two lucky breaks and i feel like the third one is the charm lol. and i actually asked him if he knew about. now its either he really didnt know about it? or he just didnt want to jinx himself and say it was actually gonna go through ha. well anyways. dont be too sure guys cause i dno if allllllll cops in IL completely kno about it yet. might take awhile for the word to spread out. so hopefully they will know asap lol. if anything for the FLINT MICA tC's around IL. i think 25-27-30%(depp on the shops percentages) is a good tint. i think 35% is too light kinda. but it looks nice? just not dark enough for me. i had to find out the hard way. i paid double another 100 to add another layer cause taking it off and putting another tint on was too much. so pick the right percentage for your taste and just be happy. but i say dont go any lower than 20%. your just asking for it, and next thing u know...theyre gonna bust out thier tint meters lol
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

with the 5% variance you could technically do 30%. i have a buddy who's a cop and did 20% on his and he said you can't tell a difference between the 20 and 30 and said majority of the PO departments wont buy more than 1 or 2 guns, because they beleive it to be a waste of $ to equip everyone with them. the ones that they will go after will be ones that its obviously too dark.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 AM

Default Rear Hatch Window

So what is the situation with the rear hatch window on the xB? To comply with the new law, does it have to be stripped and have 35% applied to match the back doors?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Here's the deal on the xB. Currently, it is NOT LEGAL to have any tint on the front windows. The language of the original bill was awkward and did not include any vehicles with privacy glass that fall outside of the MPV/SUV classification.

When the trailer bill is passed (hopefully in January) it will be legal to tint up to 50% on the front windows. Sorry but privacy glass is way darker than 35%. I spoke with someone at Toyota Corp and they confirmed that the privacy glass on the xB is 20%. With that logic, without the trailer bill it will never be legal to tint the front windows on the xB. This ruling for vehicles equipped with is fairly generous, so yea... that's what we're limited to. 50%.

And no, you cannot remove the stock 'tint' as it's not really tint, but smoked glass.

Chris, law enforcement can also meter windows with a $3 'tint card' so it's not like only a select few will be able to meter. Since this law changed, expect fines for illegal tint to increase... remember, police are ticketing for air fresheners on the rear view mirror now too... times are tough and they need to increase revenue. Right or wrong, that's how it is.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ticketing for air freshners huh? glad cops here are too lazy lol
Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the clear and concise info Ian - I will stay tuned to this thread for info on the status of the trailer bill.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 AM

Any update on this