Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

Scion Driver Dies Racing On 360 in Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah exactly like what he said. A controlled risk. A risk in which all the precautions are taken that can be thought of. In this case: emergency crews, fire extinguishers, professional crew operating the start line and making sure the track is clear.. You're still risking your car and yourself, but its much less of a risk than racing on the street where cars randomly come from cross streets, pedestrians cross, the start line is run by some random kid, etc.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

If you meant me, imma she.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

RIP
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sad to say it, but i'm not surprised one bit.

jeez, if all these people are racing and wrecking during the WINTER...imagine what the summer is going to be like...

i predict this summer will be what will come to be known as "The Scion Effect", in which thousands of kids will die or be injured driving scions at "high rates of speed". The natural end result of putting moderately powered cars into the hands of young, inexperienced noob-kid drivers to whom money is no consequence, and therefore mod their cars to be "tuner wannabees" and hot rod around town.

Theres a difference being going fast, and being an A-hole street racer. Mainly, discretion. knowing when and when NOT to drive fast...and knowing how to control your own car.

i'm sorry to be so critical, but i'd feel horrible if i didn't say anything and another young "Scion hot-rodder" dies trying to show off his/her new toy.

i guarantee, if you look up the percentage of scions (esp. tc's) involved in deadly or near fatal accidents, i think the number would be surprising high per capita, compared to other cars.

and yes, like someone else said, this reflects very poorly on the rest of us scion drivers.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got dibs on the headlights!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am sorry, but he deserves it. I feel sorry for the Avalanche.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I love how you guys justify it..... a risk is STILL a risk.

What you mean to say is a controlled enviroment......
Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

man.....

but you know what: i seem to have no problems with others trying to race me.... or i just dont notice it.....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whatmovesu
I love how you guys justify it..... a risk is STILL a risk.

What you mean to say is a controlled enviroment......
Well put
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Same thing, you know what was meant by it. Besides some risks aren't as risky. And by being on a track or as you say "controlled enviroment" ou still have risk, but it is controlled. That was the point.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no at first I didn't it took me a min. to figure out what was said after you all explained it.

But my point is it is still a risk a tire can blow out either on the track or on the streets the only difference is on the track only your life is endangered while on the street you risk other peoples life.

ON TOPIC Now to this dude it is unfortunate that this had to happen track or no track racing as a novice is just stoopid.

IMO I feel you should at the least enroll yourself in a drivers course to practice how and what to do in emergency situation also get a feel for the LIMITS of your car.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

and also you can head over to the texas motor speedway and sign up for their driving classes. thats about the most controlled situation you can be in and have fun going over 100mph.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, me and the guy with the Vette (Lupe and the others of you that were at Simple Quick Racing a few Saturdays ago, met him) are going to both the level 1 and the level 2 driving school classes out at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson (20 min west of Fort Worth). It's a world-class facility and world-class class from what I've heard. Plus, its the kind of racing that I love: road courses :D
mmmmmmm turns.. giggity giggity giggity
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Cresson is actually much more fun on a motorcycle!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

____. I'm SURE. :D :D
But I know if I got on anything with just two wheels, by the end of the day, I'll be either in traction or in a box. I'll stick to 4 wheels, thanks. :D
Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tekisui
poop. I'm SURE. :D :D
But I know if I got on anything with just two wheels, by the end of the day, I'll be either in traction or in a box. I'll stick to 4 wheels, thanks. :D
ditto
Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by stick_1NZ
Kids. This gives us (Scion Owners) a bad name. One reason for the cops to pull us over. Sorry for the death but it's pointless to be racing on a highway. TAKE IT TO THE TRACKS!!!
There was an article in the local paper a couple of weeks ago about an old cop who had passed away. The old cop had stopped some cars way back in the day that were obviously equipped to race and rather than give them a ticket got to know the owners. A long story short--the cop was instrumental in setting up a race track at the fairgrounds in Pomona. Well--this became pretty much the birthplace of organized drag racing. The cop went on to tour the countryfor the NHRA touting racing at tracks rather than on the street. The moral of the story I guess is that the problem and the solution are not really new. Get it off the streets......
Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. There's plenty of places to go (as I listed earlier). The trick is getting these kids to figured out how much more fun it is at a track. Yeah I agree there is that element of danger on the street that provides a thrill, but I have way more fun at Ennis, running on a real track, getting real times, and pushing my car around with the hood up between passes. And occationally putting out fires in peoples engine bays :D
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea theres nothing like the feeling i get when going about 100mph in my tC at TMS! and then getting the ____ scared outta me when the turn comes up and i think that theres no way in hell that the real guys go at this turn faster then this.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Man, that's really sad. Kids are kids and we've all make stupid mistakes. It's just sad that he's not going to live to learn from his.

Quick Reply: Scion Driver Dies Racing On 360 in Arlington