Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

Scion Driver Dies Racing On 360 in Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people have been street racing since 2 cars pulled up side by side at the first traffic light...

Here in D-Town - people used to race forest in the 60s-70s, then we used to race at emerald, manana, california crossing, quaker, and shiloh in the 80s-90s...
after midnight the 'trailer cars' would all come out... WooHooo!

but those were all 'places' - not like yellowbelly or Denton Raceway - but places where we were all off the 'public streets' - everyone that was there was there to race, or watch races.

I agree we need a spot to run what you brung, but no one wants to pay a fee, or wear a helmet, or have a harness, or whatever.

All this racing in traffic down a crowded road is stupid. Maybe he'll go up for a darwin award.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saylor
people have been street racing since 2 cars pulled up side by side at the first traffic light...

Here in D-Town - people used to race forest in the 60s-70s, then we used to race at emerald, manana, california crossing, quaker, and shiloh in the 80s-90s...
after midnight the 'trailer cars' would all come out... WooHooo!

but those were all 'places' - not like yellowbelly or Denton Raceway - but places where we were all off the 'public streets' - everyone that was there was there to race, or watch races.

I agree we need a spot to run what you brung, but no one wants to pay a fee, or wear a helmet, or have a harness, or whatever.

All this racing in traffic down a crowded road is stupid. Maybe he'll go up for a darwin award.

Having a blocked-off area for racing guarantees nothing. People used to go to Railhead to race because it was an industrial area, out of the way, had no through-traffic on Saturday night, and had wide, flat, long streets. People still acted stupid and people still died. A 16 year old girl died when she lost control of her mom's SUV and crashed it into a parked 18 wheeler. Before that, a guy on a bike was racing a guy in a car. The guy in the car pulled the handbrake at 65mph for no apparent reason and spun around several times, clipping the guy on the bike, knocking him off. The bike driver died later in the hospital.
The point I'm making is that without supervision, people are stupid and do stupid things. That's all there is to it. If you want to go race on the street, you're responsible for your own life. At least with the off-the-street places, you get a guaranteed fair start, you get safety crews, you get a treated track, you get a time slip, and you can still 'run what you brung', and you don't have to have a helmet or harness. I don't understand how you can say "no one wants to wear a helmet, pay a fee, or have a harness". No one wants to die, either.
The short of it is: race on the street, you're taking your life in your hands. I'm not saying I don't run light-to-light occasionally if the streets are empty. But if something happens, you deserve what you get, whether it be a totalled car or a burial plot with your name on it.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deleted duplicate post from when I was trying to edit my previous one. Fixed. You can delete this one Lupe.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

this has got to be one of the most benign threads on street racing that has ever existed. all included have my praise and please don't make me regret it/