Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

a/t supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default a/t supercharger?

anyone here knows if there there is a supercharger for an automatic scion tc?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

yeah any supercharger will work AUTO or stick doesnt matter the TRANNY...... ASK Trevor on Supercharged.....or go to FORCED induction.....on here....they know it all..... good luck on your mission
Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Auto + supercharger = i dont know.. LOL.. but yeah, S/C and Turbos are not tranny specific, they will work if you are auto or manual, they only thing is that under boost the auto trannys dont tend to respond well.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I was told by our TRD guy at the dealer that the supercharger wasnt out for at because trd needed and extra part for it to fit. It was only delayed at first now im being told that trd(or toyota) will no longer be offering that part.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man, do a search on here for it. Its been covered a bunch. You may wanna go Turbo with an Auto set up.
Are you in the Dallas Area? If you wanna see a S/C tC I would be willing to meet up sometime.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

there is/was ONE supercharged tC with the auto fit kit (search)
one thing that needs to be done is move the tranny dip stick. a kit is rumored to release this month some time. but you know how they are with getting things released
Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would think that the auto would also be better for a S/C rather than a turbo since the lag on a turbo would seem forever in a auto.. but then again, i do plan on turboing my auto altima. hahahahahah.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In general, yes the super would be better for a torque converter than a turbo, because there is a more linear application of torque than a turbo would produce. This can be offset by using a larger turbo that spools slower.

As far as a S/C for the auto tC's, I think the issue has more to do with the ECU than the transmission itself or any fitment issues. The S/C mounts to the front of the engine, after all. Because the ECU controls engine timing and the tranmission shift points, extra code and testing is required. I'll follow this post up with a search to confirm or refute this.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the only fitment issue between the m/t and a/t is that the tranny dip stick sticks up right where the S/C housing goes.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well to be quite honest lupe, i would say that it is more than a dipstick on the tranny man. you know what im saying, i think that what foot_meet_gas is saying might be a better explanation.. althought the tranny and the motor have 2 different ecus.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i never said that that is the only thing stopping it. only that it is also in the way, have I been sounding like I am? i need to reread my posts!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lawls at "foot_meet_gas"
Old 01-14-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

lol
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

im tellin you right now... it will work in an auto... the same...its been done several times... no prob....just go otu and get it...talk to your tech see what he thinks... but what do i know im just your average everyday finance degree having... bingo caller if you know what im saying....lol..........

to all that know me know that was a joke everone has been getting a little testy around hwere lately do i have been having to defend myself so...yes that was a joke on the last statement ...hehahehahehaheha....ok now BYE
Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you have??

and a dealer most likely will not install it for you until they release this auto fit kit. but i agree it can be done.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Oops, got that dude names backwards.. ohh well.

Capt defending yourself.. to who..

S/C, just do it man. Just do it, one thing with cars, ANYTHING can be done with enough money.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by gas_meet_foot
In general, yes the super would be better for a torque converter than a turbo, because there is a more linear application of torque than a turbo would produce. This can be offset by using a larger turbo that spools slower.

As far as a S/C for the auto tC's, I think the issue has more to do with the ECU than the transmission itself or any fitment issues. The S/C mounts to the front of the engine, after all. Because the ECU controls engine timing and the tranmission shift points, extra code and testing is required. I'll follow this post up with a search to confirm or refute this.
This is exactly what my dealer has told me about the Auto SC. it makes more sense than just the dipstick being in the way. oh btw hi, i'm Creep.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

it will work just fine. shift points aren't going to make a lick of difference. all you're doing is getting the car going faster. as far as timing, that shouldn't be a problem either under low boost. hell, wasn't someone showing that you can make more power on the trd kit without re-flashing the ecu?(trevor can provide more info on this)

but who am I to offer advice? i don't even have a sciion. i've only been doing this kind of stuff for like 10 years. lol

DO IT!!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, and a $500 chip for your GTI's 1.8T (what your pic looks like) will give you a good bit more HP and TQ than the factory tune, but it will void the hell out of your warranty. A $100 boost controller will hold boost until red line and lean you way out. Neither will do much for reliability. Toyota wants to ensure that the ECU is tuned for reliability, since they offer a warranty on the S/C, so the tuning is conservative. I am willing to bet that if you slapped the TRC charger on a stock 2az-fe with stock tuning you will lean out in the upper RPMs where the bulk of your power is made.

The shift points most definitely make a difference because the gains from the S/C come almost entirely above 4000 RPM. I did a quick Google search to back that up, but could not find a graph. That figure comes from the S/C brochure, which shows a comparative dyno. With an auto transmission that typically shifts 500-1000 RPMs before redline - even at WOT - you are leaving a lot of power on the table. You need to tell the transmission to shift later, and that change requires testing.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

which is why the toyota approved kit isn't out yet.