Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

tachometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tachometer problem

my tachometer sits on 0 while everthing else works there no blown fuse the whole dash and cluster have lighting to it but at times when i start my car the needles are suppose to bounce from side to side but it makes noise as if something is holding it down and when i drive speedometer needle works but rpm still sits there im guessing it the signal wire to the tach is the problem but i looking for a second word on it ....
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

maybe ur needle just got stuck dont think ive heard something like that though
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope so .. i dont really want to have to buy a new cluster maybe it needs to be cleaned out .. thanks if anybody else might know what the problem is let me know ...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you ever get this issue resolved? i got in my car to go home from school last night, and i notice as i was driving through the parking lot that the tach wasn't working. it's exactly as you described, with all the other guages working, illumination working, and no more sweep when the car is turned on. it didn't change this morning, but i did notice a clicking noise coming from behind the cluster when i opened the car door. it went on for a few seconds and repeated when i turned the key to the on position. i also noticed the speedometer needle twitching while the clicking noise was going on. a friend at work suggested i look for a faulty relay behind there. any info you can provide would help me greatly. also note that i've never modified the guages or messed with them in any way.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

sounds like ur tach needle might be off track like the gear inside to move it is broken...could be a relay but ur gauges only work in ignition and for them to be moving or it have clicking noises might not have to do with ur guage cluster
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that's what i'm afraid of.
at least i have a starting point though. i'll just try to figure out what's making the noise and go from there.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bencott
did you ever get this issue resolved? i got in my car to go home from school last night, and i notice as i was driving through the parking lot that the tach wasn't working. it's exactly as you described, with all the other guages working, illumination working, and no more sweep when the car is turned on. it didn't change this morning, but i did notice a clicking noise coming from behind the cluster when i opened the car door. it went on for a few seconds and repeated when i turned the key to the on position. i also noticed the speedometer needle twitching while the clicking noise was going on. a friend at work suggested i look for a faulty relay behind there. any info you can provide would help me greatly. also note that i've never modified the guages or messed with them in any way.
yea the problem was my rpm guage itself the needle somehow either broke or fell of track like steezie said and i called the dealer and they said it would cost me 500 bucks to get it replace and have my mileage programmed into it so i was like no ill just buy a autometer tach for way cheaper the clicking noise you hear is the motor on the guage cause i hear the same thing even after i pull the key out of the ignition
Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info. if that is problem with mine i guess i'll just try to fix it. maybe i can swap the leds while i have the cluster apart. if i can't fix it, i guess i'll going your route with the aftermarket tach. thanks again.