Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

Texas tint law?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's funny...i got my tc tinted at the dealership when i bought it (october 2005) and they said the legal limit was 35% so that's what i got. is it possible to get more tint?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even now, they told me the limit is 35% and that's what they do, so i'm just ganna do 25% in TSE Motorsports
Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
SL Member

well most places don't bother to keep themselves updated with the actual tint laws. just print out the actual page stating the %tint allowed or just say, "who cares, i want it this,etc..."
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

35% all over except windshield of course thats what i was told and i have. but yeah most of the time you dont get pulled over for just that but going beyond legal will get you extra tickets when you get pulled over
Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
I'll try to make this as short as possible.
I was issued a ticket by a state trooper on 190, for doing "approximately" 70+ in a 60mph zone. According to the trooper, I had been paced from the service road on 190, and had never bothered to slow from the posted 70mph to the posted 60mph.
The key element is this; the service road and the freeway at that stretch of 190 are NOT parallel, making it impossible to accurately judge speed by pacing from one to the other. The service road tends to curve back and forth a bit, while the freeway is straight. This would require the car on the service road to be traveling at a higher rate of speed than the cars on the freeway if they were to be moving at the same approximate "pace."
Anyway, I decided to contest the ticket, thinking that the court would most likely just throw it out based on the circumstances.
I showed up at the Belton County Courthouse on the specified date at the specified time of 9am. There were 4 of 5 others in the courtroom. Sure enough, 3 of the others had been issued a speeding ticket by the same officer at the same exact location! When the judge entered the courtroom, he informed us of their procedures and of our options.
Since Belton County is so small, they did not have a full-time DA on staff. They use a DA issued from Travis County (Austin) which is over an hour away. According to the judge, all court dates are issued based upon the availability of the courtroom, NOT based on the availability of the DA.
They also require all plaintiffs to be present at the courtroom each morning for a role call. This means that a plaintiff could be required to show up for court on a Monday morning, wait, show up for court on the following Tuesday morning, wait, show up for court on Wednesday, wait... ...and hope that some time during this wasted week, the DA will arrive in time to work your case. Of course, this means you will be taking off work to be available for court everyday until your case is called, which could take up to a week. It also means that if you are from out of town, you will need to pay for lodging during the interim. If, for any reason, you are not present for any particular day's role call, you forfeit your opportunity to contest and run the risk of having a warrant issued for your arrest for a "failure to appear".
Under these circumstances, only an idiot would be willing to stay and contest a ticket. It would cost far more in wasted time, lodging, time off work, etc., than it would be worth. The county knows this and banks on it.
This is a prime example of why you hire a lawyer. For a measly $75, your attorney will coordinate all of this and either get it outright dismissed, or get the fine reduced and no ticket on your record. Hell one time I gave my ticket I gave to a lawyer I didn't hear anything on it for over a year when I suddenly got a letter from him in the mail saying "the above mentioned citation was dismissed and no further action is needed from you."

It was EASY.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 20% tint for almost 3 years, no problem

Gonna tint it a little darker, maybe 15% or 10%...
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
SL Member

I got mine tinted in California where any tent on the front's in illegal. But I did mine 20% all around. I have friends that work DPS and my mom is a County Judge, One of my DPS buddies said he couldn't tell the difference between mine and a 25%. A lot of the times police don't bother with the tint unless it's obvious that you have limo or something all over. If you do get pulled over for what ever reason and they test you're tint and it's too dark (only a ***** would do this tho) you're screwed. I'm not sure what the fee is for a tint violation is somewhere around 250 and you have to remove it. My brother had limo in his trans am and the cop actually made him remove it in front of him. I dunno how legal that was but it's a law to be enforced i guess.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

man forget the laws!! haha... i've always had limo all the way around and have never gotten pulled over... but have always had a hard time gettin inspection... depends on what PD will pull u over and depends on the cop.... so many ppl do it many cops just dont care... i have 5% all the way around and 35% on the front windshield
Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tc1stgen
Belton which is right outside of Fort Hood.
Welcome to the 254. God help us all. >_<

And yeah, they aren't joking. Ya gotta be really REALLY careful where and when you speed. The upside is that there's lot of back roads to screw around on.

Why in the crap did you decide to move to Belton, anyway? UMHB?