Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

texas traffic tickets

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Default texas traffic tickets

texas traffic tickets
According to Texas law, it is legal to drive over the posted speed limit as long as you are driving safely. A number of factors go into determining safe driving such as time of day, weather and road condition.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Default thanks fo info

thank for this useful information i can collected more information for this type
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

and where did this information come from??

i have to drive up to san marcos cause the cop "paced" me at 75 in a grey car... well 1st my car is black not gray, 2nd if the cop cant tell colors what him think that he can keep a pace with a car that is going 75 when i had my cruise control at 70?? stupid redneck...
Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill believe that when i see it in the law books...
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonathan110987
ill believe that when i see it in the law books...
x2

and according to chapter 545 section 353 of the Texas Department of Public Safety Transportation code...

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;

(2) 70 miles per hour in daytime and 65 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a passenger car, motorcycle, passenger car or light truck towing a trailer bearing a vessel, as defined by Section 31.003, Parks and Wildlife Code, that is less than 26 feet in length, passenger car or light truck towing a trailer or semitrailer used primarily to transport a motorcycle, or passenger car or light truck towing a trailer or semitrailer designed and used primarily to transport dogs or livestock, on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;

(3) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a passenger car or motorcycle on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;

(4) 60 miles per hour outside an urban district if a speed limit for the vehicle is not otherwise specified by this section; or

(5) outside an urban district:

(A) 60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road;

(B) 50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:

(i) has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or

(ii) is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state; or

(C) 60 miles per hour in daytime and 55 miles per hour in nighttime if the vehicle is a truck, other than a light truck, or if the vehicle is a truck tractor, trailer, or semitrailer, or a vehicle towing a trailer other than a trailer described by Subdivision (2), semitrailer, another motor vehicle or towable recreational vehicle.

now tell me... where does this say its okay to go above the limit if youre driving safely?? i believe it tells you a speed in excess is not reasonable and unlawful lol

case closed.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it is all at the officers discresion if the want to stop you or not. a car without radar can shadow you and write a ticket if they feel necessary. those are easilier fought. but you can be pulled over for 1mph over the posted limit
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 06tcdude
it is all at the officers discresion if the want to stop you or not. a car without radar can shadow you and write a ticket if they feel necessary. those are easilier fought. but you can be pulled over for 1mph over the posted limit
Well I know there are specific laws in a few states...mainly ones with a lot of open flat real estate... like Montana that I know of...I guess Texas is the same way. That on certain roads/hwy's traffic, weather, etc. permitting you can go above the posted limit in a reasonable and safe manner. But if someone is really hot-doggin' it and/or in an unsafe manner it is up to the officer as to ticket or no ticket.
As far as the 1 mile per hour deal....that's not true. The reason being is that mass produced vehicles to be registered on U.S. roads....their speedometers have to be within operational specs of +/- 1 mph of dead on to be acceptable. Now of course this is on a stock vehicle. If someone goes and drastically changes the wheel and/or tire size from stock...that will reduce the accuracy of the actual speed you're traveling.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

had a buddy pulled over the other day for 2mph over. i want to be a police officer and i am always talking to the police here in San Antonio. speeding is speeding. the officer can write the citation for one over, it is wether or not the court wants to uphold the citation
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 06tcdude
had a buddy pulled over the other day for 2mph over. i want to be a police officer and i am always talking to the police here in San Antonio. speeding is speeding. the officer can write the citation for one over, it is wether or not the court wants to uphold the citation
I think your buddy has a very good chance to fight that one...what a joke...because what I mentioned above is an actual fact. So just let your buddy know what was said and he can look that up for himself....so he can take where it's written as proof in court. I'm sure a Texas judge would be ____ed for having their time wasted by a cop that wrote a citation for 1 mph over the speed limit.... well that is assuming that's the ONLY thing your buddy got pulled over/cited for and it wasn't going through a school zone or something.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know the officer who wrote the ticket and had it thrown out. The officer was a patrol officer and it was a slow night. All officer and judges know the law, but if you are stock that which u wrote is possible to be overwritten. Just saying you can get a ticket for 1 over if. The officer feels it necessary